"foreign" model shops.

Started by steve836, November 16, 2014, 11:33:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Hi Joe
yes there is a lovely little railway in Ooty, often referred to as the "toy train". It is part steam and part diesel. If you are interested google "nilgiri mountain railway". This was the main reason I wanted to go there although there are plenty of other things to keep SWMBO interested.
Steve
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

DesertHound

Was in Bangkok at a loose end yesterday, so took this ...

[smg id=18862 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 10 58 14"]

... to go and visit this ...

[smg id=18863 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 12 58 22"]
[smg id=18864 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 12 58 43"]

... then jumped onto this ...

[smg id=18865 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 15 27 07"]
[smg id=18866 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 13 18 22"]

... to go and see this ...

[smg id=18867 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 16 10 59"]
[smg id=18868 type=preview align=center caption="2014 11 21 16 11 21"]

It was a long day, starting off with a change of Sky Train from the Silom Line onto the Sukhumvit Line at Siam and then up to the end of the line at Chatuchak market to Mo Chit. Located the first shop although it seemed to be closed. Asked around and they said he's gone for food. No problem I thought, I'll go and grab a coffee and sit down for a while (feet were sore from walking) and went back 30mins later. To my relief the shop was open.

Mainly Kato, Tomix and Fleischmann stock, although to my surprise there were two Farish diesels in the Window. I was interested in Kato track and a quick calculation revealed that UK prices are cheaper. I guess there just isn't the demand in Thailand. That said, the chap in the shop was most willng to chat and was not bothered if I was going to spend money or not, he was just happy I made the visit. Nice display cabinets with the stock in and he informed me of a second shop in Bangkok. Back on the Sky Train it was then ...

Now I ended up at Sala Daeng station on the BTS. Apparently it's a famous area for certain "night time activities", and with daylight slowing fading, I knew I'd have to be quick. I found the second shop in a mall selling mostly golf equipment and this shop was the official stockist / importer (I'm not sure which) of Kato products. Another thoroughly friendly chap who I enjoyed speaking to and who had a fantastic array of Kato stock. I was even tempted to buy something but had left my credit card at home after getting it out at home the other day to make an order with BR Lines!

Two shops I can thoroughly recommend if you are ever passing through. They do require a bit of "hunting down" and the first is about a ten minute walk through market alleyways from the Mo Chit station, but seeing as we're on the subject of "foreign model shops" I thought I'd do my bit for the thread.

Some say there are plenty of models to be seen in Bangkok - fortunately these are the only ones I saw!  ;D
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations