"We are all Different" so "What kind of Modeller Are You" ?

Started by longbridge, March 19, 2013, 10:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobB

I also model BR blue and have a somewhat variable approach. For example, my coaches are painted inside to represent the prototype and I fit passengers and drivers (albeit with amputated legs) but remove buffers between coaches to allow better close coupling for the tight (radius 1) curves, but then I hide those tight curves.

Weathering is a must for me, but not to the extent that the train is filthy (which they quite often were) just enough to see that they are used,

I suppose in short I can say that very little is used out of the box, there is always some degree of personalisation. I have to admit this could be ego rather than realism; but then it works for me.

But what to do with the blue pullman ? I should make it a bit dirty but then it's out of period if I was accurate. I really want one in reverse grey/blue which I will make dirty so maybe I'll leave the nanking blue one clean. decisions, decisions.......

voltan

I'm happy to build kits (or will be when I get some) or use RTR if it's available for what I want, even if it needs a bad repaint ;)
And the wargamer in me is happy for the looks good at a distance style of paintjob.  ;D

Sprintex

Quote from: Mustermark on March 20, 2013, 06:26:57 PM
One extreme is when I put tiny billboard ads and station signs in the subway at "Reading General".  Not only are they hard to see close up with it in front of you, they are physically impossible to see when in place, and then the subway itself is hard to see with the station canopy on top.  So, why bother?  Two reasons... I enjoy the detail modelling bit, and even though I can't see them, I know they are there.

I completely understand that, think I have the same OCD :D

My one bit of detailing so far has been my shunter's shed, which still has an etched tool-rack to be painted and fitted, but once the roof is on the only way you'll see that and the other details like the folded newspaper on the wrokbench is either with a good camea shot or by craning your neck over the layout and placing your eye on the track!  :worried:

Like you say, it may not be visible, but YOU know it's there ;)

Paul

petercharlesfagg

Friends,
For want of a better term I am a "Roundy-roundy!"

The fine details required to model scenery leaves me cold, 99% of the time I cannot see it without a magnifying glass anyway!

I have interests in English, American and European train stock and hopefully can afford to run a bit of each on my layout!

I enjoy the working out of track and electrics but precise planning has never been my forte!

RTR is the ONLY way I know but a kit of special large sections i.e. bridges gives me some pleasure IF I can control my temper!

Railway modelling is not a pastime that I could fill my free time with I often have too many irons in the fire and modelling is just one of them!

regards Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Pengi

Speed, sparks and snow is me

I am a roundy-roundy that likes running high-speed trains at 200 mph scale speed. My interest is sparky current day passenger trains and as there are not that many current EMUs produced by UK manufacturers, I have been acquiring ICE, Thalys, Eurostar, Shinkansen (all in 1:160) mainly from abroad or second hand from eBay. I do have a Blue Pullman heritage train and might be getting another heritage train if Brighton Belle comes to fruition in N. I do have some modern UK DMUs such as Voyagers, Turbostars and HST and one diesel engine, a Kato 'Red Bear' with some colourful US wagons. All this gives me a bit of a problem with the scales, 1:160, 1:148, 1:150. I also have an oval of Kato HO where the Pendolino runs from time to time.

Regarding the layout, my dream has always been to model Canary Wharf at night/late evening  - I am gradually changing my current layout to include some Canary Wharf like aspects and having a lot of fun wiring SMDs (and not so much fun painting and light proofing buildings) and, of course, experimenting with snow!

Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Quote from: longbridge on March 19, 2013, 10:48:42 PM
There are all types of Railway Modellers out there, some love super detail others are quite content to buy ready made models and leave then as they are so what kind of modeller are you?

A bit of both. If I wanted much extreme detail I'd go for either RTR or a larger scale, though, as I'm rather slow at building printable kits, in particular. I don't mind building and hand-painting the odd Kestrel kit, in a spare hour or two. Though, I can find it difficult to summon the will to do much modelling, unless being directed, though without even a hint of being ordered, and with a set and obvious, and explained achievement in mind.

As a relative youngster, though approaching middle age, if I was to join an MRC, then a retired ol' geezer would doubtless understand how to get the best from me. What I would like is the ability to represent a real place, with the modelled rolling stock of that place.

What eras and locations do I prefer? TOPS BR Blue, Merseyrail, mid-late 1980s Crewe (I made a huge plan of a 40ft N-gauge layout of Crewe as a youngster, from memory. Though, of course, it was completely unaffordable!), Bank Quay, Bescot yard, Saltley, Mollington Street, Chester and Lime Street, WCML BR Blue and Executive AC Electrics, Trans-Pennine 45s hauling Regional mk1s, Red Stripe Railfreight. As with many blokes, all of the trains which I grew up with, and saw at the end of the platform, I suppose.

All in all, it's a great question.
:thankyousign:

tadpole

Layout: My layout is very basic with almost no scenery - my imagination/mind's eye fills in the blanks here. I make no apologies for this.
More embarrasingly, however, my track is not ballasted, and all but the most basic railway related scenery is largely absent. Despite half my layout being SR EMU territory, the third rail is lying idle at the trackside. I do make apologies for this, and will do it all when (if) I ever decide the layout is "permanent".

Trains: happy to hack, build stuff, or to modify or tinker with rtr stuff to make them "mine". Like previous responses, if i can't see details, or didn't notice it on the prototypes, I don't worry about it. Anything below platform level (bogies, compressors, etc.) or above roof level (vents, etc.) I don't lose sleep over unless it's blatantly obviously wrong.

Operations: I am obsessed by timetables, so every train movement has to be going somewhere at a certain time, and using appropriate stock. Goods, parcels and ECS can be random of course.

Two rails good. Three better.

Agrippa

I am a roundy-roundy with a layout on which the details are vague
and do not represent a particular era or region, thus I have GWR
steam, or 1950s British Railways WR and SR running at separate
times, also some TEAs with a petroleum sector loco.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Karyn

I'm just your average short, middle aged, slightly over weight modeller  :(

Newportnobby

Quote from: Karyn on March 29, 2013, 11:11:26 AM
I'm just your average short, middle aged, slightly over weight modeller  :(

Bless - at least you're only middle aged Karyn :'(

silly moo

Apart from being middle aged and slightly overweight I'm confused because I model in 00 as well and have some Hornby Dublo 3 rail! N is my favourite.

My layouts are roundy roundy and my rolling stock is largely untouched with just a few items being weathered. I try to add loco lamps and loco crew if possible and also try to run prototypical trains.

I do try to buy locos that suit my layout but sometimes buy something out of the ordinary just because I like the look of it.

I really enjoy reading about railways and doing research but don't always put what I've learned into practice.

I believe there are many different aspects and approaches to the hobby but that we should never forget that it is a hobby and it should be fun.

Regards

Veronica

:NGaugersRule:

Jerry Howlett

I'm a fair weather modeller. Throughout this grey bleak winter my modelling has been confined to the warmth of the dining room in the company of Mrs H. So I have built more and more card buildings with the occasional foray down to the cantina to remind myself what the layout looks / will look like.

Its a roundy roundy with a bit of up and downy. Early to mid 60's with a few hangers on from earlier years. The rollng stock is a mix of RTR and fair number of NGS wagon kits.  The idea is for industrial townscape, as Mrs H was impressed by a built up layout she saw when I dragged her screaming to an exhibition about 10 years ago. Its DC as I will never have the readies to convert unless the Superenalotto numbers come up... Oh dreams
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

For most of the last 25 years, an "armchair modeller" - not sure what I'm supposed to do with all the model armchairs though ....
Managed a few building kits in hotel rooms while I was working, but hat had to stop when my work changed and I had to fly everywhere - for some strange reason, they won't let me take my modelling kit in hand luggage.
Now semi-retired, just managed to start on first bit of track for a layout (Cambrian coast lines, based on Pwllheli).
In N, super levels of detail are superfluous, just needs to look right. Starting with the track - where it looks as if Wayne has come to the rescue!

Mollington Street

For me the enjoyment is in the electronics and the software control of several trains all at once.   The advent of Dcc was a boon and the modern software such as TrainController has greatly increased the level of fun I get from the trains.

I like to run trains and locomotives with lights and electronic signals with many aspects - all automated.

RTR is fine for my needs, mostly Dapol running under Lenz control on Kato unitrack - but all controlled and lit by TrainController.

We're all different aren't we............ :)

Phil Hendry

I like making things.  Whether it's a layout, with mostly RTR stock, but capturing the 'feel' of somewhere, or a finely detailed bit of scratchbuilt rolling stock, capturing its essence, I don't mind - I just need to be making stuff.

I do enjoy running trains too - but 'roundy-roundy' isn't for me - it gets very boring, very quickly.  End-to-end/terminus to fiddleyard layouts are more my thing, particularly if there's shunting involved.
I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations