Forum Awards?

Started by kaiwhara, May 07, 2014, 08:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaiwhara

Hi All

Just a quick question, I see that an awards section has appeared in everyone's profile (and I don't have any awards!  :scowl: ). Out of interest, what award types do we have, and who has them/what for?

Cheers

Andrew
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Tank

Hi Andrew,

There are some awards, but it needs expanding!  There are awards for the photo competitions, awards for moderators service....

Ideas welcome.  :)

petercharlesfagg

I won the award for the biggest bungler or at least I should do!!!

I put my soldering iron down, on top of my pride and joy, you fill in the details!   :'(

...................................................................."...............................................................

I was showing my dear wife what I was soldering and without looking I placed the hot iron on the back of her hand!   :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Bealman

Not sure what you are talking about here, Peter... could mean a visit to the doctor... :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

kaiwhara

Maybe I should get one for asking the question!!  :angel: :angel:

As if :P

Seriously though, can we nominate someone for one if we feel they are deserved? Even if no award category fits?
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Bealman

I think that is an excellent idea, but some members are naturally shy about such things and we are not in the business of embarrassing anyone.

Discussion definitively needed!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

1936ace

I think I up for an award as I have to put up with two model railway buffs on my crew. And to make things worse they model HO......
Bart

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Bealman on May 07, 2014, 10:56:25 AM
I think that is an excellent idea, but some members are naturally shy about such things and we are not in the business of embarrassing anyone.

So we can't have a "reposted joke" award  :sorrysign:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on May 07, 2014, 12:25:51 PM
Quote from: Bealman on May 07, 2014, 10:56:25 AM

So we can't have a "reposted joke" award  :sorrysign:

:laughabovepost:
Someone in mind, Alan? :angel:

NeMo

I think a good use of awards would be to reward good behaviour on the forum. One of the best things about this forum is that it's not cliquey and it's not elitist. There's relatively little talk here about "serious modelling" or "real railway modelling" and instead people seem to be genuinely welcome to see fellow hobbyists participating.

That's the reason I'm here, at least; I felt that however clunky my approach to the hobby might be, people always had nice things to say, as well as constructive advice on things to try out or improve upon.

So maybe awards for things like:

• Regularly welcomes new members
  • Explaining complicated techniques in a simple way
  • Suggesting low/zero cost alternatives to expensive products/techniques
  • Providing a fix to a particular hobbyist's problem
  • Useful information on how real trains/railways work

Awards stimulate competition, which can be good, but I'd like to see the awards nurture what's best about this forum.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Tdm

How about an award for best home made amateur video of your own particular layout?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations