How Often do you Run Trains?

Started by longbridge, September 19, 2011, 10:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

I find this question interesting as I myself get a real buzz out of building layouts but rarely run trains, by the time I have a layout close to finished I am ready to scrap it and build another.

I am trying to change my ways by building two layouts and hopefully keep them permanently with lots of super detailing and hopefully run trains regularly.

So how often do other forum members actually run trains ??? ???
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

guest311

Too often !

I go out to the shed to get on with the layout, and just decide to run one train.......

a couple of hours later it's time to come in !

suppose I should have more self control.

class37025

Elvinley

EtchedPixels

Quote from: oldrailbug on September 19, 2011, 10:31:57 PM
I find this question interesting as I myself get a real buzz out of building layouts but rarely run trains, by the time I have a layout close to finished I am ready to scrap it and build another.

I am trying to change my ways by building two layouts and hopefully keep them permanently with lots of super detailing and hopefully run trains regularly.

So how often do other forum members actually run trains ??? ???

Depends how busy I am. I'm not sure there is anything wrong with not running stuff much. I certainly do more building than running but at least you can sell off built layouts to people who like running trains.  I guess one of the great things about a club if you are lucky enough to have one is you get the mix needed.

You can always pick a quiet branch line, then if you run four trains a day (one on Sundays) you may well be prototypically correct - or model some of the US minor lines where two trains a week is busy 8)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

findus

Most days!
I get home from work and need a little chill time, run a few trains and have dinner, then its time to carry on with the ballast and track laying only to find i have been playing for 3/4 hours with nothing to show apart from a few goods movements  :o

Oh and a few empty coffee cups.. a worker always needs coffee  :thumbsup:

tadpole

Most days - while SWMBO goes to the gym 1700-1800. Usually running trains, but interspersed with engineering works.
Two rails good. Three better.

Mustermark

I usually alternate.  Sometimes I get a bug to do work on the layout, other times I get distracted by the trains.  I guess every other day I get them going round, and then start tinkering with wiring...

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Sithlord75

Not as much as I would like (1200kms between self and layout contributing to this situation  :evil:) but this will change.  I am a bit like 37025 - I go to do "something" and run a couple of trains and "nothing" gets done.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

MJKERR

Five years and I am still waiting to run trains
Layout infrastructure has essentially been completed however I need to make some tweeks to get it reliable

SD35

I sympathise.  The best intentions can soon end up as a running session although I'm fortunate enough that on the garage layout I can either run it as one large operation or run either side as seperate layouts and work on the other side at the same time without interfering with the running.  Sometimes the best ideas come from staring at trains running round for a couple of hours and pondering the next development.

Even when I'm working in the house and maybe building a kit I sometimes like to set up some unitrak nearby and run something just for atmosphere, especially if it has sound.

Fratton

I've come up with a great system for keeping myself working and not playing by accident, all my rollingstock is indoors along with my controllers for security o only have some carriages in there to check clearances etc,,,, will be having a running day next week though as my grandad is down and he's getting the full tour of the shed!!!!
Charlie.

Tank

Crackerbill

Almost every day for an hour at least - the joys of retirement. please yourself, when her indoors lets you.

MinZaPint

My layout is on a shelf in the same room as the computer, I go in to work on the layout, think I'd better check on the Emails, have a look on the Forum etc, start to feel guilty about not doing anything, think I'd better check things are running ok and finish up enjoying a run round. Well now I'm going to be strong and whack in a few track pins before the curves go out of shape. That'll make me thirsty so I'll walk up to the local and have a couple! Hey ho, more good intentions turn to dust.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Claude Dreyfus

Very little at present. Work on the layout is restricted to odd weekends at the moment, and as I currently putting down ballast nothing is running...

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations