So Who's in Self Isolation?

Started by Mr Sprue, March 23, 2020, 05:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Most interesting. Our two major supermarkets, Coles and Woolworths, aren't too bad, with hand sanitizers, and people aren't too bad either at trying to keep their distance, but sometimes close proximity can't be helped, even if it's brief.

I don't like going in there at the moment!

In fact Mrs Bealman is considering online shopping and home delivery. Mind you, there's only the two of us, and we're not too badly off without hoarding.

We did bring a packet of toilet rolls back from Hobart as cabin baggage, though!  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

guest311

when I went down to the chemists today to collect SWMBO's prescription, I also gave them a box of assorted biscuits, "for when you get a chance to get a break and a cuppa"

you would have thought I'd tipped a box of £10 notes over the counter  :o

it appears that one person after another has been moaning because some items on prescriptions are not available, and it is obviously the pharmacy staff's fault.

please, give a thought to those pharmacy staff who are working so hard to fill prescriptions, and doing their very best to cope with supply problems.

IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT.

a thank you goes a long way in these circumstances.

Buffin

We are having to self-isolate (because of our age), but Mrs Buffin said to me, for you that's no lifestyle change. She's right.

We put on latex gloves for the occasional trips to the supermarket. I was self-conscious about this first time, but of course no one notices  :no:

What a difference the sun makes. The garden is our lung. If it rains for any length of time, our mood may be very different.

Best wishes to everyone here, and I hope we all manage to swerve the virus.

Graham

Just taken advantage of the Costco Senior/disabled shopping hour. What a pleasure compared to normal shopping either there or at a stupid market. We were ushered in gently only a few at a time with mandated distance between each other, and shelves almost fully stocked. Only thing they were out of was hand sanitizer.

DarrwestLU6

Quote from: railsquid on March 25, 2020, 02:20:05 PM
Well we here in Japan have been enviously wondering when the latest hit series "The Lockdown" will be reaching our shores, but at long last the powers-that-be have arranged for a pilot episode to be run in Tokyo this weekend. I'm sure if it's a success we'll get the full series. Off to stock up on popcorn before the rush starts.

Is that just central Tokyo or extending out to squid suburbia?
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

railsquid

Quote from: DarrwestLU6 on March 26, 2020, 12:22:56 AM
Well we here in Japan have been enviously wondering when the latest hit series "The Lockdown" will be reaching our shores, but at long last the powers-that-be have arranged for a pilot episode to be run in Tokyo this weekend. I'm sure if it's a success we'll get the full series. Off to stock up on popcorn before the rush starts.

I assume it applies to the entirety of the administrative Tokyo area, which is a roughly rectangular shape running east-west consisting of (from east to west) three sections of roughly equal size: the city proper (aka "23 special wards", which we are just on the western edge of), a section of conurbational spread, and a mountainous area.

Anyway overnight the supermarkets have predictably[1] been stripped bare of anything non-perishable.

[1] well I predicted it (as a result of which we did all our panic shopping last week  :beers: )

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on March 26, 2020, 12:41:55 AM
Quote from: DarrwestLU6 on March 26, 2020, 12:22:56 AM

I assume it applies to the entirety of the administrative Tokyo area, which is a roughly rectangular shape running east-west consisting of (from east to west) three sections of roughly equal size: the city proper (aka "23 special wards", which we are just on the western edge of), a section of conurbational spread, and a mountainous area.

Unsurprisingly the prefectures surrounding Tokyo are now getting in on the act, which makes sense as it's one huge sprawl of urbannness.

tutenkhamunsleeping

We're in lockdown as Fiona has a compromised immune system since losing her spleen.  Model railway supplies have been stockpiled laid in courtesy of assorted mail order suppliers and food stocks aren't a major issue thanks to the kindness of a couple of neighbours, one of whom actually works at our local Asda.

The only thing I'm short of is baseboard material for the trackbed on the new peninsula.  Mildly irritating, but not as irritating as being dead ;)

At least we both get out once a day for dog walking.  Keeping two chevrons apart is easy enough round here as few folk are about, it's not like fighting your way through a London park in the sunshine :no:

Even before the pandemic I don't think I ever met a soul whilst up Cockshutt Piece. No sniggering, that's the name of a small hill here in Wrockwardine Wood :P

Mr Sprue

Waking up this morning at around 06:30 ish which I do pretty much every day, the first thing that struck me was how peaceful it was, apart from the odd sparrow chirping I have never ever experienced a Thursday morning as quiet as this.

We live in the London borough of Havering and even on a Sunday morning there is noise pollution.

As an eleven year old I lived in Hambledon Surrey, even though that was rural there was always something that broke the silence, a passing tractor or maybe a BEA Vickers Vanguard droning above in the sky.

This morning was a unique experience which will always stay with me!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: Bealman on March 26, 2020, 08:08:51 AM
Cockshutt Piece. Yeah, right ;D

I wonder what it was actually shut in to cause that painful piece?  :hmmm:

daffy

Quote from: Bealman on March 26, 2020, 08:08:51 AM
Cockshutt Piece. Yeah, right ;D

Lots of other hills have such names on England, like the two I've walked up in the Lake District, Great Cockup and Little Cockup. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Train Waiting

Quote from: daffy on March 25, 2020, 08:47:50 PM
Waitrose in Lincoln today... All in all an impressive way to handle the situation,

Glad to hear this, Mike.  Mrs Poppingham is a partner in Waitrose and they are going to great lengths to do things properly, including helping some of their very elderly customers in imaginative ways.

She's been isolating this week with mild symptoms and is back to work on Tuesday.  I, of course, get another week in isolation.

Anyway, I'll pass on your kind comments about Waitrose - that'll make her day.

All best wishes to you and yours.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

daffy

And my best wishes to your wife from me too John. My stepson also works for JLP, in their London HQ helping to ensure all runs well. Last week he was temporarily reassigned from his working-from-home tele-conferencing, to stack the shelves in his local Waitrose in Newark.

He described it as "b***** hard work", which I feel many of the public need to appreciate.

Let's all give a round of applause to all those having to cope with us, the Great British Buying (and often complaining) Public.

And may your isolation pass and leave you well. :thumbsup:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

tutenkhamunsleeping

Just been out for my permitted exercise with dog #1, it's lovely weather out there at the moment.

Very few folk about.  One young mother with a pram crossed the road to give me a wide berth, pretty much a normal day ;)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations