Locomotive Auction for ForumFunds

Started by Train Waiting, July 24, 2023, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Train Waiting

FabulousForum 'Forty' Fundraiser!

Hello Chums

Isn't our FantasticForum's new-look SuperSpiffing?  But the various works cost @Tank around 1,100 guineas which is a lorra, lorra lolly.

I mentioned to Poppy that it would be a wizard wheeze if we could help raise some funds and asked if she had any ideas.  Quick as you like, she replied, "The Table-Top Railway is an entirely steamy affair, so it would be a jolly jape to auction one of our surplus diesel locomotives."

Brilliant!  That's what we'll do.

The locomotive to be auctioned is a Graham Farish English Electric 'Type 4' 1Co-Co1 in original green livery, No. D211 Mauretania.  Model No. 371-180.  The locomotive runs on DC and the lights work.

Introduced in 1958, this was one of the most successful 'Pilot Scheme' diesels.  The design was a development of Mr Bulleid's three 1951-54 Ashford-built diesel electrics, Nos. 10201/2/3.  The 16-cylinder four-stroke diesel engine was rated at 2,000 hp, which gave 1,550 hp at the rail.  Weighing a substantial 133 tons, they were rugged and fairly reliable locomotives but, unfortunately, not equal to the best work done by 'Class 8' steam locomotives on the LMR/ER/NER/ScR.  Eventually, 200 were built.  These locomotives became Class 40 under BR's later TOPS classification.

Here's how the auction will (hopefully!) work.  Poppy and I will suggest a bid price and if you wish to bid, please send us a personal message stating you wish to bid that amount.  If we receive multiple bids, we'll increase the price in the usual auctioneers' way until we end up with – we hope - a single winning bid.  If it ends up a tie, the first bid we receive will be the winner.

The model will be sent post-free to any UK address.  Finally, the auctioneers' decisions are final!

Opening bidding at... £10.00.  Please notify us if you wish to bid £10.00 for this nice model by sending a personal message.  And, please remember, the entire winning bid will go to our FabulousForum!

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding!

Toodle-pip

John and Poppy

Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Tank

That's very generous of you. Thank you so much.   :thumbsup:

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Thank you ever so much for your £10.00 bids for this splendid 'Type 4'.

The picturingham shows Mauretania at platform 2 in Poppingham station with the up Poppingham Pullman.  The layout is almost exclusively worked by Union Mills steam locomotives which is why Signalman Farmer has come down the steps of Poppingham 'box to examine the exotic contraption.  As this is July in Poppyshire, the second man is content to ignore the water column!  D211 has been running happily around the layout, albeit restricted to the up line with its ruling radius of Peco No. 2.

Poppy and I intended inviting bids of £15.00, but I'm given to understand some kind people might be happy to go straight to... £20.00.  If you wish to bid £20.00 for this nice diesel - and please remember, the total selling price will go to ForumFunds - please send me a personal message.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding.

Toodle-oo

John and Poppy

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

It's Poppy here.  John's busy playing with our little 'train-setty' layout.

Thank you very much for the £20.00 bids.  If you would like to bid £25.00, for the purrfect English Electric 'Type 4', please let us know by a personal message to John.  The recent upgrade to our FantasticForum was extremely expensive and, hopefully, this fun auction will raise some dosh.

The entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, happy bidding and all best wishes.

Meeawww!

Poppy

RBTKraisee

£50.00!

And I want a signed (pawtographed?) picture of Poppy! ;)

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

RBTKraisee

However this auction goes, you should do a limited edition print of Poppy sitting on the layout, pawtographed and numbered of course, and sell them to the first 25 people to raise some more beer tokens for the site!

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

As you can see from a previous post from Ross, we have a public bid of £50.00.

If you would like to bid £55.00 for this delectable diesel, please either send me a personal message or, if you prefer, post your bid on the thread.

Post free to any UK address, of course, so the entire winning bid will go to ForumFunds.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, happy bidding and all best wishes.

Cheerie-bye

John and Poppy

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

We are delighted to advise you that bidding in our little auction to raise funds for our FabulousForum has now reached £55.00.  The recent upgrade was scary biscuits expensive, so the more jolly lolly we can raise the better.

Poppy and I are now inviting bids of £60.00 for D211 Mauretania.  You can bid by sending John a personal message or, if you prefer, by making a public bid on this thread.

Post free to a UK address which means the entire winning bid goes to our FantasticForum.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking, all best wishes and happy bidding!

Tickety-tonk

John and Poppy   

RBTKraisee

I may have been outbid on the Type 4, but I'll still offer £20.00 for the first of the limited edition Pawtographed Poppy Proudly Possesses Poppingham Pictures, if you do them ;)

Ross.

Bob G

I have this loco so am not bidding, but you can't let @RBTKraisee get the loco as he will have to pay customs in the US. Best to keep this a UK auction!

Sorry Ross

Bob

RBTKraisee

Nice try Bob, but there would be no customs on this :)

But someone else has out-bid me already, so its a moot point.

I don't mind because this is a wonderful way to help Chris/Tank with the forum!

Ross.

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

The 'Type 4' is selling at £55.00 unless Poppy and I receive a bid of £60.00 (or higher!).

Quote from: Bob G on July 29, 2023, 12:08:35 AMI have this loco so am not bidding, but you can't let @RBTKraisee get the loco as he will have to pay customs in the US. Best to keep this a UK auction!

Sorry Ross

Bob

Many thanks, Bob.  I didn't restrict the auction to the UK as our FabulousForum has many valued members furth of the country, whose contributions add substantially to the interest of the Forum.  I did restrict my post-free commitment to the UK, though.

'N' Gauge is Such Fun!

Many thanks for looking and all best wishes.

Toodle-oo

John

Papyrus

I don't think the recipient necessarily needs to pay customs duty. I sent some coaches to the USA and put on the description 'second-hand toys'. To the best of my knowledge the purchaser didn't have to pay duty.

Cheers,

Chris

Newportnobby

Like @Bob G I already possess this model but I do feel £60 is somewhat on the low side.
Please, folks, help out if you can and you want to own this lovely loco

njee20

Is there a timeline on this? Why not sell it on eBay and simply donate the funds to the forum? Is that too capitalist of me?!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations