Slow loading of forum

Started by GAD, March 05, 2022, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Tank

Hello all,

I've reported this to our hosting company, who are now looking into it.

Chris/Tank.

Yet_Another

Seems much better this evening.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Southerngooner

Still almost unusable here in Norfolk.....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

GAD

As I started this thread, I'm checking in. Sadly it still is slow, not as bad as when I first reported it but very laggy, particularly in posting replies and going to another topic.

Other fora I use do not have this issue.

Hopefully the host company can sort it soon.

dannyboy

Further to the problems of a slow forum over the last few days, I am finding that on some pages, the banners are not visible. As I am typing this, the top banner is not visible, but the words 'N Gauge Forum' are there and to the left is the little square denoting that a picture is not available (?). Also, looking at some posts, some of the 'Like' etc icons are just showing the little 'no picture' icon, but others are showing. Is it part of the problem, or is it my set up? I don't think my ad blocker is active for this site.  ???. Incidentally, the forum does seem a bit quicker now.
David.

crewearpley40

Firstly. Thank you Tank / Chris @Tank . For all you have done, are going to make this forum a success. To the point slow as I'm on my phone on the move a lot, can be slow at times, Friday 5pm was particularly slow and patience required.  Turned on and off and waited up to 3 minutes, got there in the end. 1pm Saturday running nicely.

Tank

Thanks for the reports.

So, the host did a few changes on the server, which has led to a better performance.  Still not great.  After some hours it seems to have stopped some modifications from working.

Ideally, there needs to be a major update to the forum - which is difficult with so many modifications to the standard forum.  It will cost hundreds to do.  :thumbsdown:  However, it needs to be done.

dannyboy

When is the money needed by?

(I will have to donate by Paypal 'Friends' as usual - if I donate via the forum, it might take months to get to you!  ;D).
David.

Southerngooner

How much is needed and by when. I'm sure members would like to contribute

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

stevewalker

The forum is often somewhat slow (although not usually too bad), but hey, we're modellers, we don't need to rush.

As for changes, I'm sure many of us are willing to contribute - this is the only forum that I have contributed to a number of times, because there is always something of interest and a good atmosphere.

Tank

So, I have figured out that it seems to be a file issue.  A handful of graphics seem to have owners/groups that the forum isn't allowing since the update.  These need to be changed.  One of the grahics/logo's for the top of the forum had the right owner/group, so that works again.  I had to remove the others.  Odd, as they were made an uploaded at the same time.

I'll work on the missing emoji's for the 'Ratings' in posts.   This is basically the same issue.  Annoying!

As for money for upgrades....I just need to get the ball rolling.  It's going to be painful, and I will have to let someone else deal with it all.  Weeks of work.  I imagine that it's best to 'strip' the forum bare, and just allow it to function whilst the modifications are reworked and tested.  I think it will be hard to give a proper cost, as it will all be trial and error, until it's all working.

Tank

Worked out how to do it!   :claphappy:  The 'ratings' icons are now back.

dannyboy

Thanks Chris @Tank - nice to have the 'old' forum back and it is fairly flying along now.  :thumbsup:
David.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations