New Forum Host

Started by Newportnobby, May 04, 2014, 07:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

Just had the same message
"The server's resources are temporarily under too high a demand to find all the topics you have not read".
Took me a long time to get on the forum as well.
Only happened in the last 20 mins or so though !
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Tank

Thanks all. :'(  Looks like the problem has followed us, so the forum is generating a huge load on the server when it shouldn't.

talisman56

Error messages this evening...

On Clicking 'Show all unread posts:

An Error Has Occurred!
The server's resources are temporarily under too high a demand to find all the topics you have not read.

---
On clicking 'Show new replies to your posts:

An Error Has Occurred!
The server is currently under high stress. Please try again shortly.

---
On clicking 'Show own posts':

An Error Has Occurred!
Please try again later. This member's posts are not currently available due to high load on the server.

---
On clicking 'Show own topics':

An Error Has Occurred!
Please try again later. This member's posts are not currently available due to high load on the server.

---
Can browse 'Show unread posts since last visit', add replies, etc; just cant do anything else under the other categories.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Ray Haddad

Tank, this will fix that issue.

Go to the root level on your host and either create an .htaccess file or add this line to the beginning of the existing one.

php_value memory_limit 80M

That increases the Linux stack to give you more allowed simultaneous users. That takes it from the default of 10M to 80M. But 80 is the limit.
I exclusively model the WSMF Railroad.

Ray Haddad

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2014, 09:23:55 PM
Looks like the problem has followed us

I don't believe so. The 500 error is not the same as what we are seeing. Also, increase the MySQL settings to 200M on your control panel. Then do a re-index of the MySQL database.

port perran

I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

emanuele

Hi Ray,

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 07, 2014, 09:43:53 PM
Tank, this will fix that issue.

Go to the root level on your host and either create an .htaccess file or add this line to the beginning of the existing one.

php_value memory_limit 80M

That increases the Linux stack to give you more allowed simultaneous users. That takes it from the default of 10M to 80M. But 80 is the limit.
Unfortunately this will not fix the issue.
This is not a memory limit problem, but a server load issue.
Also, the memory limit is already (by default) at 128, so set it to 80 wouldn't make any good.

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 07, 2014, 09:46:27 PM
I don't believe so. The 500 error is not the same as what we are seeing.
Unfortunately they are the same.
The 500 error and this are related because the 500 error was generated by a peak of CPU so high to "kill" the server (or at least make the server send the request to the 500 error).
The particular error above was me enabling SMF load balancing and killing the forum in the hope to try to understand where the problem was.

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 07, 2014, 09:46:27 PM
Also, increase the MySQL settings to 200M on your control panel. Then do a re-index of the MySQL database.
Unfortunately it's not even an SQL problem, but a "mere" CPU load problem, so touch the configuration of the MySQL server wouldn't change much (and considering it's not even possible to change settings for technical reasons this wouldn't be an option either).

Now I did something and from the few data I gathered in the last half an hour, it seems (but don't say it too loud) the load is kind of back to "normal".
I'll investigate more and if necessary I'll report my findings at SMF.

Sorry for the troubles everybody. :-[

Bob Wild

Aha, that's it. Dump MySQL and go for Oracle.

Ray Haddad

Emanuele, the PHP default is 10M but I was offering some things to try. If what you say is correct, then the only answer is a dedicated server. I know SMF is not the issue here but the total number of users from all residents of the server would be an issue. On the last server, we alternated between a 500 error and a 404 error. Here we get a verbose error report which masks the real error. They are not automatically "the same" error at all.

longbridge

Just got a sign in page and a message "Back in 10 minutes due to Maintenance"  ??? never seen that one before  :D
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

guest311

Quote from: longbridge on May 07, 2014, 11:05:05 PM
Just got a sign in page and a message "Back in 10 minutes due to Maintenance"  ??? never seen that one before  :D

got the same myself, went for a coffee, came back 10 minutes later, refreshed the page, and all ok.

of course, if I had been at home rather than at work, it would have been different .....

it would have been a wee dram  :)

emanuele

Quote from: Bob Wild on May 07, 2014, 10:52:35 PM
Aha, that's it. Dump MySQL and go for Oracle.
MySQL is Oracle's property! :P

Quote from: Ray Haddad on May 07, 2014, 11:02:20 PM
Emanuele, the PHP default is 10M
By default on this environment, sorry for the misunderstanding.

but I was offering some things to try.
Yep, I know, mine wasn't (at least it was not meant to be, but English is not my first language and I'm not exactly the most polite person of the world :angel: ) an attack.

If what you say is correct, then the only answer is a dedicated server. I know SMF is not the issue here but the total number of users from all residents of the server would be an issue.
Actually the problems seems to really be SMF (or at least a version of SMF :P).
Yep, the forum is pretty busy, but I've seen a 1.4M posts forum on a shared. :o

On the last server, we alternated between a 500 error and a 404 error. Here we get a verbose error report which masks the real error. They are not automatically "the same" error at all.
Yep, and that's why I explained they actually were the very same error. ;)

kaiwhara

Seems to be okay now by the way. Might have just been early this morning local time?
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

pgm2008

I have only one query!
In the previous version of the Forum every time I "logged in" the "show unread posts from last visit" only displayed posts received after my last visit - now I seem to be getting 7+ pages of posts most of which I have seen judging by the displayed times.
Am I doing something wrong or is there another action I must take to "clear the system"?
Otherwise a GREAT Forum which I enjoy reading each day and I have learnt a lot - thank you.

Bealman

You could try marking all messages as read, which will clear them.

Cool avatar, by the way!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations