Local model shop distance.

Started by Wayne 56089, February 22, 2014, 10:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanky Giraffe

Hattons is nearest to me (2miles away). Its handy having it on my doorstep, although sometimes you feel the phone orders seem more of a priority than the shop customers.

Its good to see them having more used items displayed in the store (noticeably an increase in N gauge in recent weeks),bit like the old shop before relocation.

QLD KID

:hellosign:
G'day All,
It would be nice to have a Hobby Shop in town we used to have one in Townsville which is about 20 KS South of us but it went down as the Guy running it was more interested in buying Coins and Notes. For us here in  Far North Queensland it's on-line or Bugger All  :( .
N Scale down under is a frightful price on or off line  >:( . I buy direct from Contacts in The States and one of the Best and most honest Guys over there is Mike O'Brien from XTrains4U.com you can get Mike direct on sales@xtrains.com.
He is also very good at finding hard to get items I'm sure the Guy is part Bloodhound.
E/Bay or Greed Bay perhaps is a better name for it can have some bargains in N Scale Lots with the States version having more listings.
I'm enjoying the forum and hope to catch up with a few of you for a Beer or 3   :beers: when we invade the U K in May of this year for 9 weeks  :thumbsup: .
I wish you all good times, good health and minmal derailments.
Cheers, Denis.
Never take Life too serious we are never going to make it out alive.

johnlambert

Despite two relatively recent closures I'm still relatively lucky in that I have a decent number of local shops, which I do try to support.

Castle Trains in Warwick became Avon Toys in Leamington and closed down a couple of years ago.  Part of the problem (from my point of view) was that they didn't seem to get new stock in very often.  Couldn't fault them for service or prices.

Much Ado About Toys in Stratford upon Avon closed last year.  It had a good selection of N gauge rolling stock but only Graham Farish as the owner had a falling out with Dapol (I never had a problem with the owner but others have said he could be an odd fellow), but everything was at full RRP.  Still, the shop was full of all manner of toys, models and modelling materials.

The one remaining local shop is a real little goldmine, Classic Train and Motor Bus in Leamington Spa.  It is about 7 or 8 miles from my home and is a tiny shop tucked away on a residential street; packed floor to ceiling with a good selection of mostly OO but also plenty of N.  The owner is an ex-railwayman who seems to know his stuff and is very welcoming and friendly.  He also seems to get new stock pretty frequently and his prices are competitive with the likes of Hattons - not quite as cheap but with no P&P and no wait for delivery.  He must be doing something right (I hope so) because his shop is often full of customers.

Further afield there is Antics in Coventry, which doesn't have a huge amount of N gauge but does seem to get new Dapol releases before Classic Train.  The young guy in the shop isn't, by his own admission, an expert on trains but he's friendly, helpful and polite.

I'm also quite close to Bourton-in-the-Water, which has a good model shop (about 30-45 minutes away).  Not cheap but very helpful and the only place that sells German outline N gauge (not that I do, although having seen them I am tempted).

About the furthest I'd go is either to Cheltenham Model Shop  or DCC Supplies in Worcestershire; both of which I'm sure need no introduction.

I'm a happy customer of all the shops and this thread has certainly made me realise how lucky I am.

weave

Quote from: QLD KID on February 23, 2014, 09:44:26 PM
  :hellosign:
G'day All,
It would be nice to have a Hobby Shop in town we used to have one in Townsville which is about 20 KS South of us but it went down as the Guy running it was more interested in buying Coins and Notes. For us here in  Far North Queensland it's on-line or Bugger All  :( .
N Scale down under is a frightful price on or off line  >:( . I buy direct from Contacts in The States and one of the Best and most honest Guys over there is Mike O'Brien from XTrains4U.com you can get Mike direct on sales@xtrains.com.
He is also very good at finding hard to get items I'm sure the Guy is part Bloodhound.
E/Bay or Greed Bay perhaps is a better name for it can have some bargains in N Scale Lots with the States version having more listings.
I'm enjoying the forum and hope to catch up with a few of you for a Beer or 3   :beers: when we invade the U K in May of this year for 9 weeks  :thumbsup: .
I wish you all good times, good health and minmal derailments.
Cheers, Denis.

Hi Denis,

We should be dry by then (ha!)

Maybe we should make a model shop map for you. Don't know what country you model or if the 'we' are on your side 'modelwise' but might help.

Hope you have a great trip.  Being a Queenslander, are you a Castlemaine XXXX man or is that a Brisbane thing?Been once and remember I liked Bundeburg rum and that's about it. Woke up in Airlie beach with an annoyed girlfriend.. We're not together now  :claphappy:

Cheers weave

lil chris

My local model shops are The loco shed, where Jim his very freindly and help-full and also Arcadia in Shaw, Oldham, where they are also friendly and have good stocks of n-gauge.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

scottmitchell74

Quote from: Luke Piewalker on February 23, 2014, 08:50:39 PM
And sometimes it's just nice to sidle your way round a model shop...

Yes! I do wish I could do more of that. I'm reminded of this conversation between Captain Picard and Data;

"Sir, does tactile contact alter your perception of the Phoenix?"
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "Oh, yes! For humans, touch can connect you to an object in a very personal way, make it seem more real."

Sometimes you just want to walk around and pick up all the toys!
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

alibuchan

Seems like I'm quite lucky then.

I have shops 4, 6, 8 and 18 miles away from me.

The one at 4 miles is good for little bits not much N but will order it but lots of those little bits you can't find elsewhere.

The one at 6 miles is Modellers Mecca. Lucy has a decent amount of N and lots of scenery and layout detail bits.

The one at 7 miles is like a treasure chest! Quite a lot of stock in a very small shop. Loads of 00 but a good amount of N. Always gives me a decent price and occasionally leaves me to mind the shop if it's near lunch time (not sure if that's a good or bad thing) bored on a rest day and when over there spent the day helping out and trying to organise stock for him. Got the few coaches and loco at a very good deal out of it though!

And the final one at 18 miles away is DCC Supplies. Really like Andy and Fiona who run it.

Alistair

scottmitchell74

Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

ozzie Bill.

I guess I am lucky as I live in Melbourne, about 15 minutes from a store called trainworld. They are arguably the best in Aus, although their n scale offering is limited very much to US and a bit of UK and NSW, very little Vic. However, they have some building materials, a nice manner and are always willing to order stuff in. Cheers, Bill.

QLD KID

:thankyousign:
Thank you Bill,
I don't shop in Australia much but I will take a peek at them as by your report they may be quite O K.   :thumbsup: Cheers, Denis.

Wingman mothergoose

I'm lucky in Nottingham too, I've got GeeDee Models a ten minute drive away(even though they're quite expensive), not only them but there's also Sherwood Models, the Railway & Barter Shop in Long Eaton, Malc's Models in Ilkeston, Loughborough Model Shop in Derby, and slightly further away there's a model shop in Tuxford, Edwinstowe and the Signalbox in Anstey near Leicester. They're not all do able in a day, but they're within easy reach by car. I've found RBS in Long Eaton about the best for secondhand N, GeeDee's and Malc's have about the largest selection of new N in the area...

Zunnan

Seems I share a few common shops with alibuchan, Hobbyrail just round the corner and Modellers Mecca a short drive away. Between them there is very little that you can't get, and with club discount the prices are on par with Hattons. Then there is Tennants Trains about 15 miles away, though I rarely use them, and carrying on down the A456 there is Footplate Models about 45 minutes drive for me. I suppose I should also include Ian Allen in the city centre.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

QLD KID

:thankyousign:
To everyone who made a comment Thank You indeed. It seems I shall need a Road Map to find my way around when we visit in May but I shall also need one to find all the Hobby Shops  :confused1: . I'd be satisfied if we had one decent up here locally and so would quite a few other Guys. Maybe next year at least Townsville Shopping Centres are growing with the population we have close to 200,00 people here now just in the Townsville/Thuringowa  area itself. Thuringowa is Aboriginal for " Bloody Expensive Land Blocks  " but don't tell anyone I've said. Cheers, Denis.

Rabbitaway

Hi

I note Weave picked up Addlestone Models in Surrey.  This is about a 15 minute drive for me.

As I model British I can confirm they have a very good stock of N gauge but only Graham Farish.  He does not deal with Dapol any more but would not be specific why!

They do sell a lot of radio controlled models but that is a sensible business approach

Price wise locos are at about 20% discount but other items can be close to RRP

Good long opening hours which is refreshing

:)

Richey1977

I've got three model shops in my town (Dartford), but only one with any railway stuff - and then it's a handful of Hornby OO gauge.  Im sorted for paints, Airfix and scenery stuff though.

My nearest N Gauge dealer is Invicta in Sidcup.  I quite like a 15-minute train journey over there on a Saturday.  Normally have lunch or something when I'm getting new railway stuff, so it's a decent couple of hours.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations