N Gauge society search

Started by Thebigshot, November 24, 2014, 10:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebigshot

Hi Guys

Sorry If this is in wrong place I know there was a discussion about the society but I can't seem to fined it now I've tryed using the search with no luck. However I wanted to as a few questions if that's alright to do so.

The first question I've to ask is it worth the cash every year. And I see there is no groups in Scotland and as I live in Scotland would the NGF and the society as some members are members of both be willing to help set one up.

And what is your overall opinions on what you get.

Thanks
Alan

silly moo

I think it is worth joining, apart from the full colour magazine, the N Gauge Journal which is much improved, you get a very useful handbook with lots information about building layouts.

There is also the acess to limited edition rolling stock and kits and a shop which stocks hard to find items.

So, in my opinion it's worth joining even without there being a local area group.

:NGaugersRule:

Sprintex

Thebigshot

Quote from: Sprintex on November 25, 2014, 04:49:26 AM
This might be the thread you were searching for? - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24061.0

:thumbsup:

Paul

Hi Paul

Yes that's the post seem to be having issues way computer at my end as usual.

Thanks for all advice

Thanks
Alan

austinbob

Quote from: silly moo on November 25, 2014, 03:31:36 AM
I think it is worth joining, apart from the full colour magazine, the N Gauge Journal which is much improved, you get a very useful handbook with lots information about building layouts.

There is also the acess to limited edition rolling stock and kits and a shop which stocks hard to find items.

So, in my opinion it's worth joining even without there being a local area group.

:NGaugersRule:

I agree with that.

The magazine is very professional and full of useful information. The handbook has all the basics in it and is great for those new to N gauge. I am lucky enough to be not too far away from a local area group where there are people with hands on experience of many N gauge topics and they also have the opportunity to run your own locos and rolling stock.

All highly recommended.

Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Buzzard

Quote from: Thebigshot on November 24, 2014, 10:55:01 PM
The first question I've to ask is it worth the cash every year. And I see there is no groups in Scotland and as I live in Scotland would the NGF and the society as some members are members of both be willing to help set one up.

On the assumption you join the NGS there is a chap called Ian Coe who's their Area Groups Co-ordinator.  If you give him a list of postcodes, just the first part, that are around you he can get you a list of members.  You can then see how many NGS members are nearby and decide whether it's worth contacting any to see if they'd be willing to set up a group with you.

However the NGS have a lots of rules surrounding their groups.  You'll need all of the following:

A Group Leader/Secretary and a Treasurer. 
A dedicated bank account is mandatory, you cannot use your own, to keep any money in.
At least 2 signatories for cheques
To set a financial year for your accounts.
To hold an annual general meeting of members
To set some objectives for the group
To have a constitution, some of which is mandatory
To find a venue or venues where you can hold regular get meetings

plus a few others.

OK so how do I know this?  Well I was thinking about whether there were enough NGS members near to me to make setting up a group worthwhile.  I was sent all of the documents and list of members only to find that there are about 6 within a 15 mile radius.  My conclusion, the cons outweighed the pros by a considerable margin.

Good luck if you decide to try and form a group.

Nigel

Thebigshot

Quote from: Buzzard on November 25, 2014, 08:27:59 PM
Quote from: Thebigshot on November 24, 2014, 10:55:01 PM

On the assumption you join the NGS there is a chap called Ian Coe who's their Area Groups Co-ordinator.  If you give him a list of postcodes, just the first part, that are around you he can get you a list of members.  You can then see how many NGS members are nearby and decide whether it's worth contacting any to see if they'd be willing to set up a group with you.

However the NGS have a lots of rules surrounding their groups.  You'll need all of the following:

A Group Leader/Secretary and a Treasurer. 
A dedicated bank account is mandatory, you cannot use your own, to keep any money in.
At least 2 signatories for cheques
To set a financial year for your accounts.
To hold an annual general meeting of members
To set some objectives for the group
To have a constitution, some of which is mandatory
To find a venue or venues where you can hold regular get meetings

plus a few others.

OK so how do I know this?  Well I was thinking about whether there were enough NGS members near to me to make setting up a group worthwhile.  I was sent all of the documents and list of members only to find that there are about 6 within a 15 mile radius.  My conclusion, the cons outweighed the pros by a considerable margin.

Good luck if you decide to try and form a group.

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Thank for all that good advice I'm sure the reason you mentioned is the reason there is not a group already also the cost might be the factor that is stopping it but If anyone reading this and is interested can eather pm or say on here if there interested

However you advice is excellent so thanks very much for that

Thanks
Alan

Buzzard

Quote from: Thebigshot on November 25, 2014, 08:36:42 PM
cost might be the factor that is stopping it

Alan,

Add in time as well.

From my experience some of the bigger towns near me have a lot of NGS members but they're 45 to 60 minutes away, and that's just one way.  That's a fair chunk of an evening just travelling without actually doing any modelling.

Perhaps I'm fussy, or lazy, or both. but not being a Group member is the price I pay for living in almost the back of beyond.

Nigel

free debt man

I didn't realise there were that many rules! However this is really no more than the normalities of a group with the same objectives. One thing not mentioned is that the Society gives an annual grant of (this year) £5.00 per group member. The member simply has to nominate the area group as the recipient of the grant on his behalf (you can only make one nomination). Ian can give lots of advice in setting up the group.
Stuart Conlon
General Secretary
N Gauge Society

Ben A

Hi Nigel,

I am a member of an area group (Northants and Cambs) and I have found it very enjoyable and a fantastic way to get more out of the hobby - especially on the social side.

You're right about the tasks that need to be performed, but some are one offs (opening the bank account), some are trivial (holding an annual general meeting - you meet regularly anyway!) and some are fun (setting objectives, holding regular meetings.)

If it wasn't worth forming a group in your particular area then that's fair enough, it's not always the right way, but personally I feel that the area group network is one of the best things the NGS has done for its members.

cheers

Ben A.

Steven B

I get lots of enjoyment and benefit from the Yorkshire Area Group.

Meetings can be as formal or informal as you want. We keep things nice and simple.

15 miles might be too small a small radius; I travel 20 miles each way to group meetings and others have a 80 mile round trip.

None of the things the Society expects are arduous (although the banks can make life hard when it comes to changing accounts or signatories!)

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Thebigshot

Hi Guys

I thought you'd like to know that I finally joined the N gauge society today so am hoping for year of enjoyment out of it

Thanks
Alan

Newportnobby

I'm sure you won't regret it, Alan, even if only for the Journal and the kits/RTR models :thumbsup:

Cooper

I joined the NGS as soon as I started modelling in N as i'd found the Gauge O Guild invaluable in that scale. I haven't regretted it and have been to every AGM show since I joined. N Gauge modellers are a very helpful and friendly bunch on the whole, as this forum bears testament. The NGS is too in my experience, and the Journal and Shop have been good and have got better over time, and the exclusive models are well researched and accurate. All run by volunteers and well worth the annual outlay IMHO.  :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations