Dremel Router table

Started by Joe 90, February 20, 2012, 03:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe 90

Hi.

Has anyone used the Dremel router table at all. If so what are they like in terms of using them to shape plastics.

Also has anyone used it with the cordless dremel 800. In the blurb it says that the 800 is incompatible but what stops them being used?

Regards

nosomosnada

Hi.

I haven't got router table, but if I've got the 'vertical workstation' and I've tried the dremel attached to it to mill plastic (rounded shapes), and the first thing I've noticed is that it is quite dangerous, specially for the eyes.

The plastic is chipped and may end up engaging in milling machine, so it must be handled very careful.

In addition, the plastic is heated by milling, so if sheet is thin, it comes bended.

In my opinion the best system is still cut by hand with a cutter and a steel ruler.

Regards.

EtchedPixels

Eeep.

Dremel - fast rotating cutter. Wear eye protection

And that's for whatever you are doing with one. The discs can shatter let alone where the material being cut may go.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bikeracer

The standard Dremel cutting discs are very fragile,the fibre reinforced ones are slightly thicker and I've abused plenty and not broken one yet.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

ToothFairy

The Dremel router table is useful provided you mod it . . .  :-\

It isn't perfectly flat - it has a "crown" or ridge running along it. I've had to fix mine with a 3mm sheet of aluminium (meaning a 3mm reduction in maximum depth of cut) on a frame of aluminium angle. Fiddling the arrangements for securing the fence was a right headache!

It's worth adding that the hand-held router attachment is very effective, but you have to tighten up the screws where the sliding rods pass through the frame _very_ tightly; the rods are too highly polished, so are prone to sliding if you don't put a lot of oomph into it.

And here's another voice emphasising the need for face protection - I use a full-face shield most of the time, as I usually (not always) find it less of a hassle than safety glasses.

- Michael

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations