what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

I've used SMDs to light several Metcalfe and other buildings with reasonable results.

Taking advice from those that know much better than I, applying a 1K ohm resistor to each SMD makes a noticeable difference to the output. The photo here shows the buildings. I didn't need to use paint other than black to reduce the upward glare on the factory wall-mounted lights.

Digital cameras on 'auto' mode often try and compensate for lower ambient light levels so a photo can show the lit areas as a bit too bright. At some point I'm going to try some more shots with manual settings.

Dave G

Pjlons83

I got building "B" finished tonight. I modified the floors to allow for a light to be inserted and removed. This will give me a chance to experiment with lights like the colouring and resistors suggested above.

I modified the platform on this building as I want it to be more of an office block beside the small factory. I'm happy with how the steps turned out.

I think I'll also make a new front door to stick over the top of the green double doors above the steps.

Edit; I'm not sure it comes across in the photo but as it's an office block and the layout will be a night time scene I blacked out some of the windows.
Gold Hill - my rule 1, "just for fun" micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

stevewalker

Now half-way through painting the lining of the shed walls sky blue before I position the hill that I have already built, complete with fencing, trees, farm animals, tunnels and ballasted track. I still have to decide whether to paint the ceiling the same colour. Progress has been slow due to too many things in the way - although getting the old cooker out of there yesterday has helped tremendously.

The Q

The track was singled, the branch line on the hillside laid, hillside undercoated. Now reviewing how hillsides look at the junction of Heather and grassland.
Transport carriages will continute to be built next Saturday now I've got a pile of nuts and bolts the right size..

Les1952

Back from Warley with Hawthorn Dene.  Only one loco to look at and a new tethered goat to source as the previous one has gone walkabout.

Croft Spa now erected so I can finish it before its first outing at Sileby in February.  Mostly tidying up and bringing to life, but a good deal of work to be done on the trains, which are different to those on Hawthorn Dene due to Croft Spa being on the East Coast Main Line where Hawthorn Dene is on the West Hartlepool to Sunderland line.

Les

Newportnobby

What is the tethered goat bait for, Les? Do you have wolves on Hawthorn Dene? :worried:

Les1952

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 01, 2018, 01:55:15 PM
What is the tethered goat bait for, Les? Do you have wolves on Hawthorn Dene? :worried:

A feature that is on the "things to look out for" sheet, so may be bait for small children and their parents.

Les

The Q

A month later,  still working on the Heather , still trying to get the track right.

Eggmarine

I'm contemplating adding route indication to my control panel which might be a step too far but part of me thinks if i bite the bullet and climb the knowledge mountain then i'll know for the future. Part of me is also very aware that this sort of thing could drastically delay the runnings of trains which is what i'm here for.

Newportnobby

Welcome to the forum :wave:
I can't help with your dilemma but all I know is nothing stops me running trains! :no:

AndyRA

If it looks difficult it probably is, but might as well get on with it anyway!

Layout :- West Coast (Southern Section)
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=2531;u=5731

Full story and pics at:-
https://www.facebook.com/WestCoastSouthernSection/

martyn

My layout-nothing for about three months!

But I'm building four ships and five associated shore cranes for the proposed extension to 'James St' harbour.

One crane, and one ship-a 'puffer'-finished, a general cargo coaster 90% finished, the rest not yet started! If all goes according to Steve's plans, at least some of these will be on view when the layout goes to Leamington Spa in March, and hopefully will be finished completely by the middle of the year when we go to Quorn (I think....). The general cargo coaster has so far taken around 100 hours to do, and I think I have about 20 hours work still to do.
Martyn

talisman56

New Year, new project! :)

The Club have, in their infinite wisdom, decided to abandon the little N Gauge layout we were building and do a larger one. I acquired the fiddle yard boards - "somebody take them as we don't want to throw them away."

They pack together quite nicely.

Open them out and join them end-to-end gives almost 1.5m, enough for a small branch line terminus...

Left board.

Right board - yes, the backscene boards need fettling...

...and an indication of what the main traffic will be.

I thought it would be a nice little exercise in Code 40 Finescale track and DCC, so as well as the sample lengths of track in the photos there is an A5 RH point which I will be building to see if I can (a) do it; and (b) make a good job of it.

Having found an old netbook which still goes, a Sprog3 was purchased and JMRI installed on the netbook. Just need to get some chips to put in some of the DCC-ready locos to try it out...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Newportnobby

Presumably you'll need a fiddle yard at the LHS for your 'fiddle yard' boards ;D

talisman56

Quote from: Newportnobby on January 31, 2019, 01:34:54 PM
Presumably you'll need a fiddle yard at the LHS for your 'fiddle yard' boards ;D

There'll be a fiddle yard on the fiddle yard - the back of the right hand board (the two sidings behind the big black line). I still need to change the backscenes about to allow access from the back to those sidings.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations