what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Hello Kev, welcome to the site.
You'll find a massive difference between the old stock you have and the new stuff, and not just in price - the detail on the new stock is just fantastic!
It's nice to have you along. Good luck with the new layout.
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Newportnobby

Hi Kev, and welcome to the forum :wave:

Your proposed location will give you plenty of stock to choose from, as you say.
What sort of space have you available to work in?

Bealman

G'day from Downunder, Kev! Welcome to the forum! Aaah.... a BLUE PULLMAN. What a way to start. You've made a mate here straight away.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Kevsworld

Hi Newport, Western Princess & Bealman,

Wow - This place does have a lot of coverage!
Thanks for such an immediate and warm welcome. :)
I'm probably blessed with space as we have an attic room which we are turning into a hobby / office room. Probably have about 2.5m x 3m or 8' x 10'.
Working slowly on developing my idea in Anyrail.
I plan a reasonably significant juntion station [where East & West divide] with one line in each direction plus a central line running both ways with full access from each track in one direction to the other.
Once I get that bit of my plan sorted, I think I'll visit NGF for advice & feedback.  :confused1:
May have to start easier and build up to that though.

Skyline2uk

Doing what I should have done a while ago...

No actual construction to speak of for a while, but I have finally got around to photographing, recording and cataloging my fleet.

Its taken a while, but with the help of Mrs Skyline, locos and stock are now listed on an Excel sheet :-)

Shameless bump for my layout thread too (cos it been dead for a while!)

Skyline2uk

GeeBee

Quote from: Skyline2uk on April 13, 2014, 06:43:25 PM
Doing what I should have done a while ago...

No actual construction to speak of for a while, but I have finally got around to photographing, recording and cataloging my fleet.

Its taken a while, but with the help of Mrs Skyline, locos and stock are now listed on an Excel sheet :-)

Shameless bump for my layout thread too (cos it been dead for a while!)

Skyline2uk

Yep, that has been my job for the last 2 weeks now trying to see if I can ODBC link the photographs to my Access data base, have had a bit of a play running in a couple of loco's class 24 and class 57 FGW  that's why it's taking so long I think, must get back to wiring soon
Graham
:D  :D

Jools

after advice given in my introductory and layout planning threads by some of the more experience members of the forum, i'm having a good second look at my track plan as i may have over egged it a bit  :thankyousign: :NGaugersRule:

lil chris

I have been working hard tonight even though my loft room was a bit warm after today's sun. I have done more work on the monkey bridge painting and fitting rails for the other side. I have made a start on ballasting the upper track over the viaduct and a bit more colour to the river,getting there now.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Bealman

Looking forward to the pics... I love the monkey bridge!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Dave95979

lil chris

more work on monkey bridge and river started to make some tree's too, now this is fun. Pics to be posted later on my layout thread, waiting for camera battery to re-charge.

Update...pics now posted on my layout
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=13394.75
Lil Chris
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.

D1042 Western Princess

There is another thread on 1.144 aircraft which has made me reconsider my layout at the north end, which fortunately, at present, is only on paper while I build the station area! The plan for the line to curve around a bay (as do so many Western Region branches) is now being redesigned to skirt an old WW2 RAF Coastal Command airfield!
Darn, just when it was all going so well!
As to the south end I have nearly finished the basic scenery in stage one which is around the stabling point and station. Next comes the covering the formers in plaster and greenery and all the bits!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

EtchedPixels

Staring at the corner board which unlike the rest of the fiddle area doesn't slot into shelving but needs to stand on a lower shelf and wondering how to get the legs right. It's not helped by the fact that nothing in this house is level so all four legs need to be different lengths.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

lil chris

Hi Alan why not try and make some adjustable legs. I once made a baby gate by fixing a nut onto a metal plate with a hole in it and another plate with a bolt. I was lucky I got someone with a welder to weld them to the metal plates. I suppose you could solder or braze them instead. You can just fit these to the bottom of the legs and screw them to whatever length is required.
Lil Chris

EtchedPixels

Adjustable legs sounded interesting but far too hard. So I went for the other kind of adjustable legs. I fitted bits of card under them as needed.

Didn't go entirely to plan. Fitted four legs and then realised with legs attached it was physically impossible to fit the board in  :doh:. As its a space bounded by a big shelving unit and the roof it wasn't an option to just move things. A bit of thought later and I fitted two legs and got it in then with some rather awkward poking got the third leg in. Fortunately where the fourth leg is is strongly supported and screwed to the next baseboard so all is well. I may just jam the leg in when it's all done to provide a bit of extra support in case of accidents.

I've got the first 9 roads of the curves for the fiddle yard laid, with 7 to go but I've run out of code 55 so that is paused for a bit.

Today has been mostly demolition work. Laying the proper fiddle yard I've also been levelling up the track (the original test track thrown onto ikea shelving followed the contours of the floor - which isn't ideal). As a result one of the early other pieces I did for the door duck under needed moving. Instead I decided to call time on the pub scene in question and demolish it. Fear not. All the bits have been saved and the pub and its patrons will be re-appearing shortly in a disgustingly twee little village scene on a corner that needs doing.

So far I've cut the foam for the ground profile and just stuck the buildings on top to test.

Just time to paint the roof of the Stanier 12 wheel sleeper I'm building and then hoover up the blue shrapnel before there are complaints.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations