RMweb

Started by railsquid, December 29, 2018, 01:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

In case anyone's wondering what happened to rmweb.co.uk, I don't know either - an hour or so ago it was fine, but I'm guessing by the way it was suddenly emitting redirects to dubious sites regardless of what browser/device I tried, that the site itself has been hacked, and it appears to have been taken offline entirely as of a few minutes ago, so I presume Appropriate Action Is Being Taken.

railsquid

Ah yes, the site now says:

Quote13.30 - Saturday 29 December 2018
We are currently experiencing an issue with a malware attack. We are investigating this at present.
Users may have seen an unfamiliar pop-up requesting login details, if you did enter any details we would suggest running Malwarebytes to check there is nothing untoward on your system.
Andy

njee20

There was a thread there about weird redirects a few days ago I'm sure, I admit I didn't read it, but saw the title.

Hope all's ok. A bike forum I was on got hacked and the entire site ended up being lost and having to be relaunched.

D9020 Nimbus

The latest report at 15.33 states that Andy has the site running without the malware appearing, but it needs to be checked by someone with the appropriate level of expertise to make sure it is safe—and this can't happen before Monday :-(

Railwaygun

you'll have to make do with NGF instead! :)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

railsquid

And that was closed for maintenance when I woke up this morning ;)

I find the modelling side of RMweb rather full of people making Orribly Oversized (and larger) locos out of bits of brass and railing (hah) against "box openers" (I may be generalising somewhat ;) ), but there's some excellent 1:1 scale prototype content on there.

njee20

It can be a bit elitist, but there are some very knowledgable folk on there. Frustratingly sometimes people are in both categories!

I enjoy good modelling in any scale, and there are some superb modellers on there for sure. James Makin's workbench thread is fantastic, full of inspiration. The site is certainly representative of the market as a whole though - ie dominated by OO.

Plenty of great N gauge layouts that aren't on here though.

njee20

Looks like it's back.

railsquid

Quote from: njee20 on December 30, 2018, 06:40:27 AM
It can be a bit elitist, but there are some very knowledgable folk on there. Frustratingly sometimes people are in both categories!

I enjoy good modelling in any scale, and there are some superb modellers on there for sure. James Makin's workbench thread is fantastic, full of inspiration.

I must look that up then.

Haven't come across much in the way of N gauge layouts though, maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

njee20

Not sure of your area of interest (I'm very much post-1990), but ones that spring to mind are:

- Dallam Sidings
- This is Euston
- Kensington Olympia in N (bit older - BR blue)
- Adventures in Code 55
- Banbury
- Smithdown Road
- Cross Street
- Ring Road

The last 3 are not current, but their historic threads are excellent.

rogerdB

I just visited the site and every page brought up a warning message from my Norton Security.

So be careful!

Snowwolflair

Norton gives this

Severity: High
This attack could pose a serious security threat. You should take immediate action to stop any damage or prevent further damage from happening.
Description
Attackers are hosting fake pages which warns user of outdated browser, when users click to update the browser the malicious file is downloaded.
Additional Information
Attackers are hosting fake pages which warns user of outdated browser, when users click to update the browser the malicious file is downloaded.
Affected
All windows version
Response
No further action is required but you may wish to perform some of the following actions as a precautionary measure.
• Run the Norton Power Eraser. (home users)
• Run the Symantec Power Eraser. (business users)
• Update your product definitions and perform a full system scan.
• Submit suspicious files to Symantec for analysis.

If you believe that the signature is reported erroneously, please read the following:
• Report a potential false positive to Symantec.

Andy Y

The fake browser alert posted above was an issue on 24 Dec. I have just checked that there wasn't a recurrence of that and all seems clear at present so it looks like a false or delayed report via Norton. I know Norton slows systems but 6 days is a bit much. ;)

I am keeping a close eye on things at present for obvious reasons.

Dalek

I try to avoid it now, it's got more rooms than a travel lodge and finding specific n gauge content is difficult.
Shame really as i'm sure it's all there, or was  :goggleeyes:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations