SHAPEWAYS PRICE HIKE ON THE 30TH

Started by Snowwolflair, January 27, 2019, 03:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowwolflair

I have just sent them a question about the pricing of new models loaded that have been priced with the new algorithm.  If its wrong anyone who has bought them should be due a refund of the difference.

Dr Al

...some frantic back-pedalling there....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

NTrain

They asked me to send them a highlighted list of anything of mine that was increasing more tan 20%. I have now sent that list.

Looking back, it looks like I should have done it earlier, but had been very confused by all the talk about grandfathered pricing...............

njee20

That's very interesting. I've seen people talking about 300%+ price rises, presumably the inference is that these are incorrect.

emjaybee

The suspicious side of my brain half wonders if this was some sort of marketing exercise.

Without this threatening price rise neither myself or (possibly) NewportNobby would have placed an order.

:hmmm:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Snowwolflair

Well so far I have had silence on my question to Shapeways about the pricing for new models that if overpriced are going to need to be refunded.

njee20

You sent the email after midnight last night, it's not even midday yet, give them a chance!

Snowwolflair

Quote from: njee20 on January 31, 2019, 10:24:01 AM
You sent the email after midnight last night, it's not even midday yet, give them a chance!

They do quote an 8 hour response time and they operate 24/7.  I guess they have just realised and are faffing around for an answer.

emjaybee

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

red_death

My understanding is that the grandfathering price rights only apply to items already previously uploaded to SW to an existing account before the cut off date (which I can't remember what it was - end of August 2018 by the look of it).

So any accounts added after 27 August 2018 will already have been using the new pricing model.

Out of interest I just ran the price comparison tool on my very few items and it shows the necessity of sprueing multiple items (pretty much everything I have on sale is multiple items and increased between 50 and 300% largely due to the new per part minimums by the look of it).

Snowwolflair

I have to assume the revaluing algorithm is the one also used for all newly listed items and it's this they say is wrong.  Grandfathering does not come into it.

QED newly listed items using the algorithm are priced wrong.

m0rris

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 31, 2019, 11:57:03 AM
I have to assume the revaluing algorithm is the one also used for all newly listed items and it's this they say is wrong.  Grandfathering does not come into it.

I assume so too - I wonder what their definition of "wrong" actually is. I've a sneaky suspicion it extends to "dj@£!@!!@;!, sales of non grandfathered models are dreadful, are we sure our prices are actually competitive?". The algorithm doesn't make all that much sense from day 1 so i can't say I'm too surprised that reality has caught up and at least postponed the project.

njee20

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 31, 2019, 11:57:03 AM

Yes, that's how I read it. Ie they're saying those items that are due to increase next week won't, but by extension those that are already one there are overpriced and should be reassessed.

NTrain

To quote my email "It would probably have been easier to highlight the items which were less than 20%!!"

They asked shop owners to highlight anything greater than 20%. In my case I noted that anything that was coloured WSF had a massive increase in cost, so I stopped offering it as an alternative. That left me with nothing more than 200% increase.

I am in a difficult position at the moment, as I tied using resin 3D printing and proved to have a massive allergic reaction to the resins. Don't mention gloves etc, because i was................

Health and finances also play a major part in what I am able to do, so I am trying to work out my best alternatives.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations