Ah - some investment in our rail infrastructure

Started by cupoftea, April 12, 2011, 07:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cupoftea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-13040129

It is good to see passenger numbers rising year on year.

I just hope that any station modifications are sympathetic to the original structure and not like the horrid new station at Newport...... How anyone can put up a modern glass monstrosity alongside a wonderful old GWR station is beyond me....

Mustermark

There are similar plans for Reading station. A huge glass station entrance is planned. The original old brick station that is about 100 years old is now a pub and it will end up flanked by this new entrance on the west side and the not so new 1987 entrance on the east.  But at least they're keeping the 100 year old building.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

moogle

At least they wont be doing that in Chester.
Our station is a listed building and there's no room for any glass rubbish!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Mustermark

Yes, but to be fair Chester is worth preserving... and glass might be an improvement in Reading! :smiley-laughing:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

H

Quote from: cupoftea on April 12, 2011, 07:13:31 AMI just hope that any station modifications are sympathetic to the original structure and not like the horrid new station at Newport...... How anyone can put up a modern glass monstrosity alongside a wonderful old GWR station is beyond me....

I guess that depends on your appreciation of various architectural styles.

To be honest some of those dark, dank, dreary old historic structures are cramped and well past their best and deserved to be knocked down and replaced. And some of those new glass structures are nice and light and airy and provide better and more comfortable customer facilities and experience - they're not all monstrosities. For example the one at Maze Hill reflects the roof line of the nearby Lesness Abbey.

The GWR seems to have it's fair share of ancient carbuncles, but then variety is the spice of life.

H.

michael

apparantly here in crewe, cheshire east council have taken over the old royal mail sorting office which is right next door to the station and they are going to spend the money incorporating it to the station. Virgins tender is up next year so dont think they will want to spend the money until they know if there keeping the tender.

My experiances of cheshire east have always been horendus so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out!

SymonC

Gillingham station in Kent is currently being refurbished from this :

to this :

Pity the actual town is such a dump!

H

Blimey, it'll look like a fancy wine bar. How will people know it's a railway station; it's losing the large white 'Gillingham' lettering and the BR 'arrows of indecision' signs.

I used to live in Gillingham but up at the top Darland Banks end and, yep, the town around the station is a dump. Is that little record shop (to the left and just out of shot) still there?

H.

jonclox

Quote from: H on April 13, 2011, 11:32:52 AM
Blimey, it'll look like a fancy wine bar. How will people know it's a railway station

H.
People wont know its a station so there will be less overcrowding on any trains that stop there.............cuts down on station staff as well
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

SymonC

Quote from: H on April 13, 2011, 11:32:52 AM
Blimey, it'll look like a fancy wine bar. How will people know it's a railway station; it's losing the large white 'Gillingham' lettering and the BR 'arrows of indecision' signs.

I used to live in Gillingham but up at the top Darland Banks end and, yep, the town around the station is a dump. Is that little record shop (to the left and just out of shot) still there?

H.

Barnaby Records if my memory serves me correctly, closed down years ago is now part of a pharmacy.

moogle

Quote from: SymonC on April 13, 2011, 08:31:43 AM

Is it me or are the tram tracks poking though the tarmac?  ???

It'll take an awful lot to improve Gillingham.
I lived in Strood for a few years, which is not that much better, and the only place in Gillingham I liked going to was the Strand on the riverfront.
Tried not to venture into the town itself if I could help it. We had a saying when I lived there:
"I've been to 'nam, Gilling 'nam" Something to do with fighting!  :o
Saying that, I got my first N gauge stuff from Bakers Model Shop in Gillingham back in 1984.
They closed down a good 20 years ago but were a good place for N gauge.
As to the glass 'improvements' on the front, just how long do they think they will stay intact?  :smiley-laughing:

My Irish layout here

moogle

Quote from: H on April 13, 2011, 07:29:23 AM
I guess that depends on your appreciation of various architectural styles.

To be honest some of those dark, dank, dreary old historic structures are cramped and well past their best and deserved to be knocked down and replaced.

Oh I agree! If anyone has ever been to Sunderland station they'd know exactly what H is on about!

My Irish layout here

SymonC

Quote from: moogle on April 15, 2011, 12:14:09 PM
Quote from: SymonC on April 13, 2011, 08:31:43 AM

Is it me or are the tram tracks poking though the tarmac?  ???

It'll take an awful lot to improve Gillingham.
I lived in Strood for a few years, which is not that much better, and the only place in Gillingham I liked going to was the Strand on the riverfront.
Tried not to venture into the town itself if I could help it. We had a saying when I lived there:
"I've been to 'nam, Gilling 'nam" Something to do with fighting!  :o
Saying that, I got my first N gauge stuff from Bakers Model Shop in Gillingham back in 1984.
They closed down a good 20 years ago but were a good place for N gauge.
As to the glass 'improvements' on the front, just how long do they think they will stay intact?  :smiley-laughing:

I'm sure the football supporters arriving for games at Gillingham FC will appreciate it! ;D

I also bought my first N Gauge stuff from Bakers Model Shop! Used to love Saturdays, went to the Gillingham FC games (still do, old habits die hard!) and then to Bakers before they shut at 5.30pm. Even better my bus home used to stop right outside the shop! Bakers used to be in Canterbury Street until they moved just down the road to Skinner Street. It closed, as you say, a good 20 years ago, when Mr Baker retired.

Medway was then without a model shop until The Signal Box in Rochester opened.

moogle

Quote from: SymonC on April 15, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
I'm sure the football supporters arriving for games at Gillingham FC will appreciate it! ;D

I'm sure they will...   :P

Quote from: SymonC on April 15, 2011, 01:24:51 PM
Medway was then without a model shop until The Signal Box in Rochester opened.

I remember going into the Signal Box when it was further down the road in Featherstone House.
Had a sports shop next door if i remember rightly.
My local shop was Sports and Hobbies in Gravesend where I lived but one of my teachers was into N gauge and suggested Bakers.
Bit of a trek on the bus but worth it. Only went there a few times.

My Irish layout here

H

Quote from: moogle on April 15, 2011, 06:56:18 PMI remember going into the Signal Box when it was further down the road in Featherstone House.

Yep, I remember it there; near the Northgate pub across the road on the corner (which is now an Italian bistro I think). The Signal Box is now a lot further up towards Chatham and near the North Foreland which used to be a great pub (it's now been completely ruined). And talking of pubs - most in Gillingham seemed to have closed since I stopped usinging them. The Bulls Head opposite Rock Avenue near the Jezzrels was recently closed as well.

H.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations