What rocks your boat? Diesel, Electric or Steam.

Started by Geoff, March 30, 2011, 12:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

It's another vote for electrics from me. They've got such a long and rich history, and are still the future. They represent modernity and are silent, clean and fast (in comparison to steam and diesel).

I don't specifically dislike steam but find it smelly, noisy and grubby, and to me it represents the old and past it. I remember being lifted on to a steamer footplate when I was young and I still recall how I found it noisy, dirty and unpleasantly hot. And for modelling they're just too unreliable in N gauge.

H.

Bob(K)

I like steam, however, for model railways I prefer diesels, in particular the green era.

Tank

Quote from: H on April 23, 2011, 11:11:54 AM
I don't specifically dislike steam but find it smelly, noisy and grubby, and to me it represents the old and past it. I remember being lifted on to a steamer footplate when I was young and I still recall how I found it noisy, dirty and unpleasantly hot. And for modelling they're just too unreliable in N gauge.

H.

Don't hold back Mr H!   :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Lawrence

I trust that Mr H either has, or will seriously consider a Japanese electric layout in light of his comments.  Despite being in the most enormous debt you could ever consider, Japanese electric railways are the epitome in their class.

You obviously still need oil, gas, coal or nuclear fuelled power stations to provide the electric, but hey ho  ;) that is until someone comes up with a solar powered train of course  :smiley-laughing:

H

Quote from: Lawrence on April 23, 2011, 09:15:25 PMI trust that Mr H either has, or will seriously consider a Japanese electric layout in light of his comments.  Despite being in the most enormous debt you could ever consider, Japanese electric railways are the epitome in their class.

Well, I have been to Japan and riden many of their trains including the shinkansen and they're all electric; I even managed a trip on the series O bullet trains (the original design based on a DC8 plane) before they were withdrawn recently and I do have an N gauge model of one.

H

fisherman

S & D man so has to be steam!!!

The new locos with the see through spoked wheels are superb!
<o({{{<<

H

Quote from: fisherman on May 07, 2011, 11:40:56 AMthe see through spoked wheels are superb!

See through spokes? They must be transparent wheels and look a bit odd  :smiley-laughing:

H.

Lawrence

H - great piccies, thanks for posting them, very jealous of you I must admit, I would love to visit Japan and ride some of the trains out there

grumbeast

Quote from: Lawrence on May 07, 2011, 01:21:53 PM
H - great piccies, thanks for posting them, very jealous of you I must admit, I would love to visit Japan and ride some of the trains out there

Agreed Lawrence, great pics Mr H, the closest I've come is the Series 0 power car at York.  This was the first Japanese N piece I purchased from eBay a few years ago, and as it turned out, the guy selling it was just across the harbour from me and I knew him.. bizarre. 

Graham

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations