What rocks your boat? Diesel, Electric or Steam.

Started by Geoff, March 30, 2011, 12:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Just thought I would start this little disgussion off, in what rocks your boat.

Electric.
Diesel.
Steam.

I have to say I love the smell of steam brings so many memories back, but some Diesels I like that have history ie only run for a small number of years and then scrapped and there has been a lot of them,I enjoyed reading the Class 58 web site, powerful diesel but only 50 built correct me if I am wrong.

At the moment I am building a steam layout then I shall go over to diesel I just want to cover a few bases.
Geoff

barkfast

zwilnik

I'm a steam fan, although I do like the odd diesel.

Tank

I love riding on steam, usually at the Bluebell Railway if so, but I collect diesel and electric. :thumbsup:

SymonC

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2011, 01:32:20 PM
I love riding on steam, usually at the Bluebell Railway if so, but I collect diesel and electric. :thumbsup:

I also prefer steam but my new layout is going to be very loosely based on the end of steam/start of diesel era so that I can justifiably run both!

The Bluebell Railway is one of my favourites, it has an excellent atmosphere especially at Horsted Keynes. (It's also not too far for a day trip!)

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is an excellent trip especially when you can get the steam train all the way to/from Whitby.

zwilnik

Quote from: SymonC on March 30, 2011, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2011, 01:32:20 PM

I also prefer steam but my new layout is going to be very loosely based on the end of steam/start of diesel era so that I can justifiably run both!

The Bluebell Railway is one of my favourites, it has an excellent atmosphere especially at Horsted Keynes. (It's also not too far for a day trip!)

The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is an excellent trip especially when you can get the steam train all the way to/from Whitby.

I'm not too far from the Bluebell too. It's a very atmospheric railway for a day out, although I rather liked the Tanfield railway up in Tyneside as they have a great yard there with about a half mile of engines and rolling stock waiting to be restored (ie currently scrap) that you can happily wander through and photograph. The Bowes railway nearby is also great if you're into photography as they also have a very nice "have a wander where you want" policy when nothing's running and they're a mine of information.

cupoftea

I much prefer steam but only have diesel locos!

Reason is that i had a series of unfortunate experiences with buying steam locos from the 'major two' manufacturers and so decided to run diesels.

Tank

Quote from: cupoftea on March 30, 2011, 04:33:08 PM
Reason is that i had a series of unfortunate experiences with buying steam locos

Did you forget to buy the coal?!   ;D

cupoftea

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2011, 04:57:26 PM
Quote from: cupoftea on March 30, 2011, 04:33:08 PM
Reason is that i had a series of unfortunate experiences with buying steam locos

Did you forget to buy the coal?!   ;D

Darn it! I knew something was missing.............

OwL

Quote from: Geoff on March 30, 2011, 12:35:34 PM
Just thought I would start this little disgussion off, in what rocks your boat.

Electric.
Diesel.
Steam.

I have to say I love the smell of steam brings so many memories back, but some Diesels I like that have history ie only run for a small number of years and then scrapped and there has been a lot of them,I enjoyed reading the Class 58 web site, powerful diesel but only 50 built correct me if I am wrong.

At the moment I am building a steam layout then I shall go over to diesel I just want to cover a few bases.

Hi Geoff, I love Diesel and Steam. Iam also an avid member of the class 58 group featured on your past thread. I love the smell of a steam engine especially on a light rainy morn. I grew up with Diesels which Iam very passionate about..........

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Chris

Diesels for me too. Nothing like a whiff of the fumes from a passing chip-fat burner!

michael

I cant choose!! Id rate electric thrid but cant chose between steam and diesel.

longbridge

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

NTrain

I am basically modern (ish) diesel and electric.

My collection encompases UK, American, Europe and Japanese.

There is an Australian train I wouldn't mind and one from Denmark/Sweden

Mustermark

Diesel for me.  I loved the noise and the smell of it when I was trainspotting as a kid.  Too young to remember steam though.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations