Why Did You Choose to Model N Gauge?.

Started by longbridge, November 22, 2011, 10:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.WJCA

So why did I choose for N Gauge.

When I was younger around the age 10 My dad had bought and build a railway track based on N (Minitrix), his choice was this because of the space (smaller was not available)
A long time after this I never touched the trains and they disappeared (seriously we don’t know anymore, during the move from one house to another most of it disappeared)

So in 2005 I got myself a nice amount of money and somehow I felt like going for model trains on my own (well with the support of my girlfriend (now wife)) again I decided for N because of space  and I started to buy (way to quick I know) and now after moving, getting married, getting a son and after a very big house renovation (forced not wanted) I finally managed to clear up the attic and decided to stay on N for the space and also availability and details of the material

:NGaugersRule:

zuccah98

The space and its much cheaper to than the American HO gauge.  Also it is possible to vast amounts of long runs and scenery in a small space. :NGaugersRule:
A layout across the pond

GWR-Kris

My first set-up was in N Gauge, didnt get far with it, done baseboard and track and tunnel that was it. My dad had OO gauge so in the end most locos i bought was in OO.

When I moved out my parents I wanted to restart my hobby, but all my stock was OO gauge at that point. My brother was using N Gauge, and took me a while to decide what scale. Basically sat down and decided what i wanted to get from my layout, and decided on N gauge as i wanted to run full length trains and I can fit more detail into a layout in N.

So it just developed from there, my current layout is only 3' x 6' but Im having the part the garge and utility room combined into a room. So at some point next year will be working on a layout 7' 16' with operators well.

redstar

The wife dictates it......
Originally wanted 00, however I seem to love the look and 'feel' of N stuff.
I'm still to start my layout, still to finalise plans, but know my era!

Glad I chose the baby brother to the 'standard' model... Love it!

Cutter

Because I haven't the space for anything bigger and cañt see anything smaller!

Alfred

Why N gauge.

Well, many moons ago when I was in short trousers,  :-[ my parents gave me a Christmas present of basic set of a Lone Star Locos push-a-long.  Spent many happy hours on the dining table, laying out, putting away, saving and spending pocket money on building it up.  A few years later, another Christmas present with an upgrade to the Lone Star Treble-O-Lectric.  All perfect for a small house with two brothers and a sister all needing their space. All this came to a halt in teenage years when other interests took over,  ::) as they do. Everything was boxed up and shoved in the loft. Unfortunately all of this was ‘lost’ when my parents moved house when I was still single and working away from home.  Still upset about that.  :scowl:

Because of my childhood memories, I chose N gauge when my own kids were introduced to the fun ‘train sets’ which never really grew into railway modelling, just a layout on a board, one for my son and naturally one for me.  :laugh: These also eventually got stored in the loft a long time ago.

Interest only just re-kindled as mentioned in my intro on the welcome page, the really superb models now available in N gauge and of course the compactness for a decent layout.

Whether I’ll really develop skills to do some decent modelling, time will tell.  There’s certainly loads of inspiration on the forum here.

scottmitchell74

As a kid I always had O-27 under the Christmas Tree. It got more and more involved with a village and such. Now, I still have a nice-ish Lionel C&O 4-6-4 Set that I bought and I still put the village up every year...howevah...

I 100% agree with what everyone says about how N Gauge looks...it just looks right. An uncle of mine had a N Gauge Christmas Tree set when I was a kid and I was always fascinated with it.

N Gauge just looks "right".  :NGaugersRule:
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Bealman

I know I've mentioned this before, but to me the N gauge stuff looks more 'real' - especially the new models. The 00 stuff to me looks like chunky plastic toys in comparison, no matter how detailed the models are.

Even though my eyesight is deteriorating, I'll stick with N for the very reason above (plus I have a lot of it).

If I was to scale up, I think I'd go to 0, expensive as it is.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Agrippa

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Agrippa

It's railway modelling Jim, but not as we know it.......dada da da da da da  :D
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

mark37/4

I started in 2010 when a trip to a model shop with my aunt for presents for christmas ended up with the purchese of the recently released Merseyside express when i pointed ity out, then bought the peco track starter pack & some extra stock after christmas & been doing it sinced & had two failed layouts & my current layout,  but only have a N gauge layout as its surprisng what you can fit in a small space

Lately I dont buy much N gauge stock now as Im concentrating on a larger EM layout for this years show of Seahouses, but always nice to have a small layout to play with

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

D1042 Western Princess

Like most I model in N because I adore 12 coach trains travelling at high speed through endless scenery, just as in real life (at least back in the 1970s) and you just can't reproduce that in the average home in OO. So I turned to N, then built (am building) a branch line where 8 coaches is about the longest, ideally no more than 7  :confused2:, and speeds restricted by being a terminus! :hmmm:
Never mind, I would require a room nearly 50 feet by 14 to do the same thing in OO so I'm still happy! ;)
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Zakalwe

close to full length modern image freight trains and completely realistic length passenger trains

and the trains in scenery flowing past stuff

to me, OO always looks more like  a toy as in n gauge you get to see the landscape around the layout not just train a bit of a building and then the wall.. n gauge is like looking from a distance
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations