timeless classic

Started by matt-b, November 01, 2011, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OwL

Quote from: matt-b on November 01, 2011, 09:52:49 PM
what model can i buy now, sort it then get it out and sell it in 15/20 years for more then double what i brought it for...

matt
:NGaugeForum:

Any thing made by CJM. As these are made to order each model is unique and made to a high standard. :thumbsup:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

poliss

But the models in 20 years time will benefit from new technology and should be of a much higher standard than anything you can buy today.
The truth is no one can tell you what will be collectable in 20 years time. I wish I had made my mother buy me the Tri-ang Stephenson's Rocket that was £1.00 in the Kays catalogue, or a few Herts Daleks from Woolworth's. I'd be quids in.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: owl729 on November 03, 2011, 07:32:57 PM
Any thing made by CJM. As these are made to order each model is unique and made to a high standard. :thumbsup:

Doesn't work too well. CJM 73's are worth peanuts for example because the Dapol one is better. Time moved on. Whats  a CJM 67 worth now to most people given the Dapol one ?

Quality often has little to do with what is deemed collectable. Some Highfield printed kits go for stupid money although they are just screen printed card. Unbuilt Cav'n'dish kits go for silly money to strange people who will never build them, and this despite the fact an improved version of the same kit is still on the market with a different brand.

Collectors tastes are a bit hard to predict.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Adam1701D

I wonder how much a Jamie Micro Traction Prairie Tank kit would fetch these days?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

moogle

Quote from: matt-b on November 01, 2011, 09:52:49 PM
what model can i buy now, sort it then get it out and sell it in 15/20 years for more then double what i brought it for...

matt
:NGaugeForum:

Tough question this, but I would say buy what you like for your own layout but buy 2 of them.
Keep one in the box to squirrel away and one for using on your layout.
If in 10, 15 or 20 years time it worth a zillion on ebay or the like then you're quids in.
If its not, you've got something you'd still have a use for. Unless you change tastes/scales that is!  :smiley-laughing:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations