GWR 125 Celebrations

Started by port perran, March 25, 2015, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

port perran

As several of us are modelling the late 50s early 60s period several of us are interested in organising a GWR 125 event over Easter. This event would have occurred (in real life) in 1960 but wasn't really recognised as an event at the time (Unlike the GR 150 celebrations in 1985).
So.....if anyone is interested in joining in the celebrations, any photos can be posted here. The idea being that individuals can photograph celebratory trains on their own layouts and we might be able to replicate that train in differing locations. For example a train with choc/cream carriages may start in the Midlands (pulled eg by a Hall ) heading for Cornwall but might change locos at say Exeter or Plymouth (perhaps for a Manor).
As a start, several events are being organised in Cornwall around the Cant Cove, Trepol Bay and Port Perran areas but as yet exact details are under wraps (although speculation is rife in the local pubs as to which locos will be rostered).
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

johnlambert

Looking forward to seeing photos of all the special traffic over the Easter weekend.  I'm sure there will be plenty of long-distance traffic running through Claverdon (my layout) as well as some other special services.

port perran

A local enthusiast has sent in a sneak picture this afternoon of the scene in the small loco yard at Port Perran where both a Manor 4-6-0 and a Prarie Tank have just been brought over from Truro shed for cleaning by both shed staff at Port Perran and local members of the CLPG.

It is expected that these two locomotives will be used as part of the local celebrations which will form part of the GW125 celebrations.
It is expected that other locomotives (including early diesel hydraulic types) will be similarly attended to.
It is also hinted that shed staff at Trepol Bay may also clean ex SR locos so that they will be in good fettle when special passenger trains traverse the ex LSWR lines to Trepol Bay from Wadebridge. It is even possible that the ex LSWR T9 may head at least one of the trains - possibly from Wadebridge via Trepol Bay, on to Port Perran and on into Truro.

johnlambert

Special services have started running through Claverdon, with trains from Birmingham bound for Cornwall and specially restored GWR locos and stock for the Leamington - Stratford and Birmingham - Stratford services.

There are even rumours of a brake van special excursion for Easter Sunday.

Coaching stock in the carriage sidings; including restored GWR Autocoach No. 193, B-set and BR Maroon Collett coaches.  In the DMU sidings is ex-GWR streamlined rail car No. 19, fresh from a mechanical overhaul and an unexpected but most welcome addition to the proceedings.

Toad brake van painted in GWR grey

In the depot 5531 and 8762 are ready for work.

Joined by 7822 Foxcote Manor in lined BR green

First special train of the day; Hall No. 4914 Cranford Hall passes through Claverdon with a train from Wolverhampton Low Level, bound for Cornwall.

More photos to follow.

port perran

Local enthusiasts are out lining the bridges in Cornwall expecting to see special trains arriving from the Midlands , London and other areas.
There are also special local events happening involving restored stock, specially cleaned locomotives and unusual engines.
It is expected that most of the activity will be happening after mid-day.
No doubt sneak pictures will follow in due course.
Horrible dull, wet and breezy day down here though - cold for the time of year which makes it uncomfortable for the enthusiasts.

Chris in Prague

Very nice to see the pictures so far. Please, keep them coming. The GWS Bodmin have sold their recently restored (ex-Worcester Works) GWR diesel railcar in order to concentrate on the many ex-GWR steam locomotives in their care. They will also be specially cleaning the WR ex-GWR steam locos. allocated to St. Blazey or Plymouth Laira that will be seen in the Wadebridge area as well as taking care of visitors allocated to Truro and from the Bristol and Birmingham areas of the WR. Specials from the LMR (Stanier design BR maroon coaches) and ER (Gresley design and BR Standard BR maroon coaches) through to Cornwall are also expected.

The GWS's colleagues in the Cornish Loco. Preservation Group have busy preparing their locos., too, but the Cant Cove branch 'only' has a specially cleaned Bulleid Light Pacific to show as they are still waiting for their promised T9 and no Ns are available until the summer at the earliest. They have though ensured that Cant Cove's Drewry 0-6-0 diesel shunter yard pilot is in its usual immaculate condition.

The GWS, Penmayne, is helping out its colleagues at Bodmin and Port Perran prepare their very impressive fleet. Unfortunately emergency railway engineering works caused by an embankment slippage between Wadebridge and Cant Cove mean that the specials will not be running further northwest to Cant Cove or Penmayne. However, trapped locos. will be on show, specially cleaned and polished, at Cant Cove and Penmayne loco. sheds and a shuttle service will run between the two stations. A fleet of BR and Southern National buses will run between Wadebridge and Cant Cove. Fortunately, the D95XX on loan to Penmayne (via St. Blazey) from Bristol together with a selection of PWM wagons was in Penmayne yard.

Lorries have been carrying beer casks to and from Wadebridge goods yard to ensure that the highly appreciated products of the Castle and Headland Breweries plus Somerset "Sam's Cider" are available at all leading hostelries in the area. The Breton chef at "The Railway Hotel", Cant Cove has been seen in discussions with his opposite number at the "Railway Hotel", Trepol Bay, and both hotel restaurant's promise special Easter menus of local seasonal delicacies. The new motor coach recently seen at Cant Cove will be operating a luxury shuttle between the two hotels whilst engineering work continues.

Finally, it is rumoured that one of Sylvia's female friends, Belinda, was seen emerging from Mary Quant's London studio with a very large oblong cardboard box from which a long pink ear was seen peeping out!

Unfortunately, the weather is constantly changing which is very frustrating for the photographers but more photos. have been promised.

port perran

Things have started to happen down here in Cornwall now .
A train originating in the Midlands behind a Hall has arrived at Port Perran (having dropped several carriages at Truro) behind a specially cleaned Manor 4-6-0. The train will run on to Trepol Bay and Newquay later. A 94XX waits with two ancient GW carriages which form an hourly shuttle service from Port Perran to Truro. An ex GW railcar will also be running local shuttles to Trepol Bay and beyond.

Shortly after the 94XX leaves Port Perran bound for Truro :

An hour later, we capture a busy scene at Trepol Bay. The Manor has arrived with the special from Port Perran whilst  a specially cleaned M7 (on loan in the area) waits with a local for Wadebridge. This is thought to be the very first appearance of a Manor at Trepol Bay. The Bubblecar waiting in the station loop will be running special shuttles to Newquay later :

Finally as part of the GW 125 Celebrations the CLPG are running special excursions into the normally freight only Trepol Bay harbour sidings. These excursions are proving extremely popular with local enthusiasts. Here we see the first one of the Easter period gingerly descending the incline down to the harbour behind a specially cleaned 04 :

Hopefully more photos will follow over the next 3 days.

Chris in Prague

Many thanks for these photos., Martin. Glad to see that both Port Perran and Trepol Bay are busy with specials. I hope there will be a good turnout by local and visiting enthusiasts, and that the weather will not let everyone down!

Chris in Prague

Some of the BR WR and GWS Bodmin locos. which were being specially cleaned and polished at Cant Cove loco. shed for the GW125 celebrations but are now stranded by the collapse of the railway embankment on the Cant Cove side of Wadebridge. (The District Civil Engineer has a good idea why . . .)

BR Lined Green 14XX 1462 with BR Crimson & Cream autocoach W192W:

BR Black Late Crest 57XX 3616 with BR Maroon autocoach W196W:

Two of the GWS Bodmin restored GWR locos., 61XX Prairie Tank 6169 and 8750 Pannier Tank 6752:

The embankment will be restored and the bridges strengthened between Wadebridge and Penmayne ready for this summer's GW125 Celebrations when everyone has been promised some additional (G)WR steam locos., plus, it is hoped a BR Black Late Crest T9 and, perhaps a BR Black Late Crest N to represent the SR in the (G)WR celebrations!

port perran

Thanks for those photos Chris.
I didn't realise that you had a lined green 14XX (looks good in that colour).

Chris in Prague

Thanks, Martin. Yes, BR Lined Green is my favourite livery for steam locos. 1462 is an early Dapol model (ND-016) bought on eBay some time ago. It is still here in Prague because it is a low priority for DCC fitting and I am waiting for the Hawksworth BR Maroon autocoach to come out as I'm considering permanently coupling 1462 to the autocoach and having lighting fitted in the coach which would necessitate sending them both off to Wickness. Maybe the loco's DCC chip would have to be fitted in the coach as I cannot imagine there is much space in a N Scale 14XX even for a small DCC chip!

port perran

Yes,, as you know I have a black 14xx. Looks good but wouldn't pull the proverbial Skin off a rice pudding!
My 14xx may well put in an appearance at GW 125 over the weekend.

Chris in Prague

Yes, Martin, I've seen your BR Black 14XX and read your warnings about their lack of hauling power. That is another reason for, eventually, sending mine to Wickness to see if Douglas can do anything to improve that? I'd like it to be able to, at least, haul one autocoach and push another with, maybe an van added, too!

I hope your 14XX plus autocoach (I think yours is BR Crimson? I sold mine a while ago) will be running as part of GW125.

port perran

Quote from: Chris in Prague on April 03, 2015, 03:51:14 PM
Yes, Martin, I've seen your BR Black 14XX and read your warnings about their lack of hauling power. That is another reason for, eventually, sending mine to Wickness to see if Douglas can do anything to improve that? I'd like it to be able to, at least, haul one autocoach and push another with, maybe an van added, too!

I hope your 14XX plus autocoach (I think yours is BR Crimson? I sold mine a while ago) will be running as part of GW125.
Yes I have a maroon auto coach plus an older blood and custard one.

Chris in Prague

Quote from: port perran on April 03, 2015, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: Chris in Prague on April 03, 2015, 03:51:14 PM

Yes I have a maroon auto coach plus an older blood and custard one.

The one I sold was unlined and, I think, BR Crimson rather than BR Maroon. As we both have a 'Blood and Custard' one that can be used for 'through' workings but behind a BR Black 57XX! (Which did, sometimes haul autocoaches but, of course, could not work them in P&P mode.) Originally it was going to be a control trailer for a weed-killing train.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations