Oxford Diecast - 2013 Toyfair announcements

Started by woodbury22uk, January 24, 2013, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justintime

Wouldn't 1:160 look odd against 1:148 or is the difference insignificant?

My Latest Purchase - Two SD70's & 24 Trucks :-)

woodbury22uk

Quote from: justintime on February 07, 2013, 01:10:13 PM

A 15 foot long car is 28.58mm long in 1/160 scale and  30.89mm long in 1/148 scale. The difference is less than the typical jump a passenger needs to make between two coaches in their as delivered condition.

I'd love to see a comprehensive range of British operated cars, light vans, rigid trucks etc. in 1/148 scale. But crying in my pram will not make that happen. From my own experience a co-ordinated approach to a manufacturer with supporting documentation works. We have been bleating about a generalised need for 1970 - 1990 cars for years and the crying has not been heard. If there is anyone who would like to change that then an adult approach which would support a business case is likely to have a better result. At 1/148 scale we operate in a unique environment so it is much harder to make a case than for 1/160 scale, or even 1/150 scale. But the range of modern cars in those scales with a larger following is already quite small. Can all the manufacturers be wrong? if so they will need some convincing to change their plans. It is interesting that Oxford Diecast's older cars appear on quite a number of continental N layouts I have seen recently.

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

scotsoft

Quote from: justintime on February 07, 2013, 01:10:13 PM

My guess is you would get away with a vehicle placed on a road on its own.

The difference is very noticable when you have a 1:160 loco next to a 1:148 loco, it is like little and large  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

cheers John.

H

Quote from: woodbury22uk on February 07, 2013, 01:28:25 PM

A 15 foot long car is 28.58mm long in 1/160 scale and  30.89mm long in 1/148 scale. The difference is less than the typical jump a passenger needs to make between two coaches in their as delivered condition.

That is more than a scale foot out. It's the wrong scale and is too small, and looks silly up against correctly 1:148 scaled equivalent saloon cars.

Why should we have to put up with models in incorrect scales. If people want things produced to 1:148 why deny them that desire.

Also I can see no evidence of anyone crying in their pram - claiming or suggesting that people who have posted are do such things is rather offensive. But I do agree that a co-ordinated professional busines case and approach would be best.

H.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: H on February 07, 2013, 01:54:35 PM
Quote from: woodbury22uk on February 07, 2013, 01:28:25 PM

That is more than a scale foot out. It's the wrong scale and is too small, and looks silly up against correctly 1:148 scaled equivalent saloon cars.

Why should we have to put up with models in incorrect scales. If people want things produced to 1:148 why deny them that desire.

Also I can see no evidence of anyone crying in their pram - claiming or suggesting that people who have posted are do such things is rather offensive. But I do agree that a co-ordinated professional busines case and approach would be best.

H.

The point is H that there are few if any 1/148 scale cars of quality to put them against.

I am sorry if the expression "crying" caused offence. Maybe I could have misinterpreted the anger and frustration smileys in some of the earlier posts. But please note I did say "crying in my pram". And I am not offended.

Glad you support the business case approach anyway, which was really the thrust of my post.

Mike

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

justintime

I think you are being a bit harsh with your comments Mike.  Neal just made a suggestion and I agreed that we could do with more cars etc from the 60's and 70's.  No body mentioned bleating on, chucking their toys out of the pram or bombarding Oxford with nonsense emails. :no:  It was just an innocent comment on a friendly forum :thumbsup:

woodbury22uk

Quote from: justintime on February 07, 2013, 03:58:26 PM
I think you are being a bit harsh with your comments Mike.  Neal just made a suggestion and I agreed that we could do with more cars etc from the 60's and 70's.  No body mentioned bleating on, chucking their toys out of the pram or bombarding Oxford with nonsense emails. :no:  It was just an innocent comment on a friendly forum :thumbsup:

:thankyousign: Understood. Seems we are all on the same page then.   :claphappy:

Mike
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

justintime

Newportnobby

Personally I just thought Mike was referring to himself, not the forum at large :no:

I would guess that 1/160 vehicles could possible be used at the rear of the layout to promote distance but I certainly would not put them close to 1/148 scale ones

H

Quote from: newportnobby on February 07, 2013, 06:45:26 PM

I would guess that 1/160 vehicles could possible be used at the rear of the layout to promote distance

That won't work unless everything around that car is also to the smaller 1:160 scale including the road, the street furniture, other vehicles, the buildings behind, any trains that pass close by, and so on.

H.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on February 07, 2013, 06:52:41 PM
That won't work unless everything around that car is also to the smaller 1:160 scale including the road, the street furniture, other vehicles, the buildings behind, any trains that pass close by, and so on.

Or if anything close but in front of the 1:160 area is separated by a fence or similar such that you cannot see a contiguous ground level. With care that causes your eyes to simply fill in the distance and assume they are not as close as is the case

(It's the same reason that putting a fence a few mm in front of scaled down backscene buildings gives the impression of depth providing you don't look too hard)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Karyn

Sprintex

Quote from: Karyn on February 07, 2013, 09:00:28 PM
There's only one thing to add here..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vh5kZ4uIUC0

Mobile link, doesn't work on a PC or laptop ;)

Here's the link for us conventional users  :D

Father Ted: 'Small' vs 'Far Away'

Classic comedy  :thumbsup:

Paul

Bigric

New Oxford Diecast cars etc which I've seen advertised this week .......2 cv , old style mini , VW beetle (old style) , VW campervan variants & VW pickup . Ric

justintime

Quote from: Bigric on February 08, 2013, 07:09:27 PM
New Oxford Diecast cars etc which I've seen advertised this week .......2 cv , old style mini , VW beetle (old style) , VW campervan variants & VW pickup . Ric

Where were they advertised please?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations