Club layout workhorse

Started by KiwiAlan, April 16, 2023, 11:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiAlan

Hi,

I'm a member of my local model railway club. They have an extensive N Scale layout with a loose US theme, although I have been told that anything goes. The layout has a bit of an incline and some tight corners.

Once a fortnight, they have a running night where members can bring their own rolling stock; in fact, we are distinctly encouraged to do this. The first running night of the month is analogue, and the second is DCC. I model UK N Guage and when I've put my Graham Farish locos on the track, they have struggled, falling off and struggling up the incline. I've noticed that I have damaged some of my rolling stock in transporting them to the club and with them falling off the track.

So I think I should get a couple of workhorse locos that will just run and run and haul whatever around the track.

What would people recommend? I was thinking of something like a Minitrix Class 27.

Thoughts and recommendations are appreciated.

Many thanks

Alan

Bealman

Sounds like the problem is the track! Do other members have the same issue?

However, any Minitrix locomotive should be fine.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

KiwiAlan

Quote from: Bealman on April 17, 2023, 12:22:08 AM
Sounds like the problem is the track! Do other members have the same issue?

The layout is almost 40 years old, and some of the geometry at the time was tighter than the current practice. Most of the time, the layout runs US rolling stock from manufacturers such as Atlas and Kato USA, which is more forgiving.

I've popped a Kato Class 800 around the layout, which works very well. But I don't want to risk damaging my CR Signals Class 800 with DCC Sound.

I'll see if I can hunt down some suitable Minitrix rolling stock.

Many thanks

Alan

Dickydcc

Sounds like a job fir a Union Mills?

KiwiAlan

Quote from: Dickydcc on April 18, 2023, 02:22:55 PM
Sounds like a job fir a Union Mills?

Definitely! If only Colin were still going. In the interim, I shall have to stake the corners of a well-known auction website.

Bealman

I still think it's track. Time for a layout revamp  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations