Dapol A3

Started by Blackbird1137, April 09, 2023, 05:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackbird1137

Well I'll be damned! Dapol A3 which I have had for some years now and has never really run right, decided to get even worse and wobble a lot. Noticed a traction tyre seemed a bit, shall we say, slack. Thought to myself, let's take both tyres off and see what happens.

Lo and behold, not only does it now run perfectly, it also pulled 8 coaches without slipping. Begs the question what was the point of the tyres?

Thank you Easter Bunny - I will now celebrate by scoffing Easter Eggs.

geofff

There is a modeler on YouTube (his account name is  "Thiswayworks") and he has had the same experience. After watching his video I was going to ask if traction tyres are necessary.

Enjoy the chocolate.

Regards

geoff

Dr Al

The point is traction.

Removing them will also then hammer any insulfrog points you have with the groove and edge of the groove on the rear wheels, so you should replace them - wheels are meant to be coned for a reason, and the tyres supply this wheel profile on the rear drivers.

If you need to replace them, you can try Farish Duchess tyres - generally of better quality - sometimes Dapol tyres are a bit wayward. Having said that, if it's stretched, that's likely oil contamination, so a clean up of oil should be looked at.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations