Accurascale Inviting Interest in them Shrinking Their OO Gauge Models

Started by NGS-PO, February 20, 2023, 03:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmason

Quote from: icairns on February 25, 2023, 02:31:00 PM
Quote from: cmason on February 25, 2023, 07:22:32 AM
Hi Ian,

So I used the 2mm association wheels "Wagon Wheels: 3 Hole Disc: 6mm dia: 12.25mm axle: N Gauge Profile " P/N 2-027. The shorter axle plus some careful opening out of the bearings to fit brass top hat bearings gave just the right fit. Filled the cavities at the ends with liguid gravity. For NEM sockets I used Ian Morgan ( Siop y Wageni )'s 3D printed ones from Shapeways.

I, too, tried to use the 2mm Scale Association N gauge profile wheels with the associated W-irons (part no. 2-313).  Unfortunately, I damaged the 3D print during construction and never went back to it.

Assuming Accurascale do not hear our pleas for a RTR NER 20T hopper wagon, I may try again next time I order from Shapeways.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Ah - I just went directly into the Shapeways material with top hats, no W-irons - I can imagine those would eat up a lot of the tolerance. Anyway probably should continue any hopper discussions elsewhere off of this thread - probably not of great interest to those looking to Accurascale for production of BR Mk2 coaching stock :-)
Next hopper items I have will go over to your earlier mentioned thread,
Cheers,
Colin.

cmason

Quote from: cmason on February 25, 2023, 02:46:53 PM

Quote from: icairns on February 25, 2023, 02:31:00 PM
Hi Ian,

So I used the 2mm association wheels "Wagon Wheels: 3 Hole Disc: 6mm dia: 12.25mm axle: N Gauge Profile " P/N 2-027. The shorter axle plus some careful opening out of the bearings to fit brass top hat bearings gave just the right fit. Filled the cavities at the ends with liguid gravity. For NEM sockets I used Ian Morgan ( Siop y Wageni )'s 3D printed ones from Shapeways.

I, too, tried to use the 2mm Scale Association N gauge profile wheels with the associated W-irons (part no. 2-313).  Unfortunately, I damaged the 3D print during construction and never went back to it.

Assuming Accurascale do not hear our pleas for a RTR NER 20T hopper wagon, I may try again next time I order from Shapeways.

Ian

Hi Ian,
Ah yes - I just went directly into the Shapeways material with top hats, no W-irons - I can imagine those would eat up a lot of the tolerance. Anyway probably should continue any hopper discussions elsewhere off of this thread - probably not of great interest to those looking to Accurascale for production of BR Mk2 coaching stock :-)
Cheers,
Colin.

icairns

Anyway probably should continue any hopper discussions elsewhere off of this thread - probably not of great interest to those looking to Accurascale for production of BR Mk2 coaching stock :-)
Cheers,
Colin.

Agreed!

TomE

Ahead of a chat with Accurascale about their thoughts and plans for N Gauge, there is a poll running over on NGN to get a clear picture of which models in the Accurascale range people would like to see: https://bit.ly/3IJOS5I

Head over and cast your votes, then watch out for the chat sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Tom.

Foxhound

Have to vote for Mk2b in blue and grey. A rake of those would be lovely.
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

acko22

Hi all,

So just my tuppence worth, of course there are some really good possibilities and I doubt the Accurascale are going to be looking at everything especially items that have already been recently tooled, but there are some major possibilities with stuff such as the Mk2s.

But one for some to maybe note with the 37s while Farish have done plenty of the older versions that have not as yet done numerous of the variations such as the heavy sub classes, modern WIPAC lights, or the re-enginned version so it would be good to see them appear at some stage.

Cheers

Gareth
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

TomE

Well the NGN poll is showing some clear leaders out of the existing Accurascale OO range people would like to see pass through the shrink ray. Thanks to all those who have voted so far, and for those that haven't you can do so here: https://bit.ly/3IJOS5I

The Class 37, Mk.2 coaches and HAA + variants are leading each of the rolling stock categories, although the Manor and HUO are also doing well.

Interestingly, the item with the highest number of votes so far is from the supplementary question I added about the important considerations when buying N Gauge models, with running qualities currently leading that section. That no doubt speaks to some of the issues DrAl raised around motors & reliability.

I'll be recording an interview with Accurascale about their thoughts around N Gauge at Alexandra Palace on the Sunday which will go up on NGN shortly after.

Tom. 

martyn

If rolling stock, be it a loco, multiple unit, coach or wagon, won't run well then it's doesn't make any difference how detailed it is.......

I'd certainly put running qualities at the top, assuming the model is as close as possible to the real thing.

Martyn

snitchthebudgie

A late but immediate addition to the list - a J69 tank engine!

PLD

Quote from: snitchthebudgie on March 18, 2023, 10:53:02 AM
??? but Accurascale don't do aJ69 in any scale, so they don't have a larger scale version to shrink...  :hmmm:
(This isn't yet another general 'wish list' thread...)

acko22

Quote from: PLD on March 18, 2023, 11:35:11 PM
??? but Accurascale don't do aJ69 in any scale, so they don't have a larger scale version to shrink...  :hmmm:

Well not really it was announced this weekend in OO, so why not do an N gauge version side by side?
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

PLD

Quote from: acko22 on March 18, 2023, 11:41:45 PM

Well not really it was announced this weekend in OO, so why not do an N gauge version side by side?
Ah apologies both - I'd missed that announcement  :-[ so yes absolutely makes sense to do both scales at once (and put me down for one please  :) )

Roy L S

I would add my vote for a J69 in N.

I had hoped Farish might introduce a newly tooled one (or a 94xx - their two original N locos) to celebrate Farish's 50 years in N but sadly the "celebration" seemed pretty muted, all that got produced was a new livery on a 66  :(.

acko22

Quote from: PLD on March 18, 2023, 11:48:39 PM

Ah apologies both - I'd missed that announcement  :-[ so yes absolutely makes sense to do both scales at once (and put me down for one please  :) )

We shall let you off this once..... :P

Railwaygun

I suspect that " shrink-ray" on an OO computer model is not a trivial task. I note that Hormby had to redesign their locos to produce TT versions - - reduced detail, wall thicknesses, mounting points  all differ.

So not just a reduced size model. but one engineered for N Gauge moulding requirements / tooling/motors/transmission / DCC etc. 

So they could produce ANY loco if they wished, not just ones in the catalogue. They may have the original drawings on line, but a model version is not just pressing a button !

( note Revolution trains Caroline coach  is at least a year behind the OO version!)
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23