Multi discipline uncouplers.

Started by emjaybee, July 12, 2020, 11:13:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntpntpntp

Quote from: emjaybee on July 13, 2020, 10:28:16 AM
I suspect the answer will be aftermarket permanent magnets and DCC controlled electro-magnet.

Seems to me an electromagnet solution is desirable to try and cope with both types of uncoupling action, though how you'd do knuckles with electromagnets I don't know.  Otherwise I can imagine the Rapido lift arms might still be attracted by the permanent magnets intended for the knuckles.

My mind is starting to envisage some sort of tuning-fork shaped piece from the electromagnet, to attract the knuckle coupling arms to either side maybe?  Maybe a mechanism to turn that fork 90 degrees to work a Rapido dropper arm?
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

N_GaugeModeller

Stick with Rapidos and use a servo controlled ramp/lifting section to uncouple everything, nice and slow so no throwing wagons about the layout like some solenoid operated systems do, no modification to your rolling stock and everything can be uncouled by the same method.

A no brainer really as long as you can design and build the servo controlled uncoupler which I am sure is something you are more than capable of doing.
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

ntpntpntp

@N_GaugeModeller   It does require that your stock have enough weight to counteract the force against the coupling spring.  I know a lot of British N wagons are very light (compared to the majority of my continental models), especially the old style short 4-wheel wagons.  That was one thing I liked about the Peco ELC coupling being springless and indeed "Easy Light Lift Coupling" as per the name  :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Platy767

Quote from: ntpntpntp on July 13, 2020, 10:52:14 AM
Seems to me an electromagnet solution is desirable to try and cope with both types of uncoupling action, though how you'd do knuckles with electromagnets I don't know. 

I tested the micro trains knuckle coupler permanent and electromagnet solutions many years ago. The permanent magnets are relatively unobtrusive, particularly if you cut them in half, (and there are now many users of tiny magnets between the tracks) but the electromagnet is huge and requires major baseboard work. I didn't like it, so it has sat in the garage for 30 years.

This is a link to the electromagnet. It looks like it is now designated for HOn3 which uses 9mm track.
https://www.kadee.com/documents/708ins.pdf

Mark

maridunian

Quote from: emjaybee on July 12, 2020, 11:37:40 PM
I'm not overly enamoured with having uncoupling ramps, I'm trying to go for a more realistic look.

Other disguises could include AWS ramps, point-rod covers, sleepers (part of an "accommodation" ie informal, pedestrian -crossing).

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

emjaybee

Blimey fellas, I think some of you, @ntpntpntp , are seriously overestimating my capabilities!

I'm intriqued by the multi-position electro magnet idea, but I think that one is soaring above my capabilities.

I think I shall have to have a play around with some rare earth magnets that have been mentioned in other threads on the subject, and then nearby/next door try and develop a DCC/servo uncoupling lifting section. @maridunian that's a blinding idea, a timber pedestrian crossing that functions as an uncoupler. Maybe a couple placed down the sidings in question.

As regards the weight issue in wagons with springs in the ELC, I seem to remember that the springs can be carefully hooked out, thus sidestepping the lifting issue.

I'm aware that some of my stock does have metal wheels/axles which may well cause the 'pull' issue previously mentioned.

Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

chrism

Quote from: emjaybee on July 13, 2020, 11:58:29 PM
As regards the weight issue in wagons with springs in the ELC, I seem to remember that the springs can be carefully hooked out, thus sidestepping the lifting issue.

IIRC the Peco ELCs don't have springs, it's most of the non-Peco ones that do, e.g. more recent Farish, Lima, Minitrix, Dapol, etc.

If you remove the springs from those you might need to add some form of "stopper" plate below the coupling shank to prevent it hanging down too low.

emjaybee

Sorry, yes, should have said Rapido. And yes, there is possibly the need to support the coupling.
Brookline build thread:

N_GaugeModeller

The springs are there forca reason, I would think twice before blanket removal.  If going down the lifting plank route give them a try before pulling all the springs out.  You will probably have better luck adding weight to the wagon via a fake load than removing springs and risk making the couplings unreliable.

NGM
There may be spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, I am Dyslexic so just think yourself lucky you can actually read what I have written.

I am also in the early stages of Alzheimer's and Vascular dementia so sometimes struggle with basic communication.

You don't need to point out my errors.  Thanks

emjaybee

Quote from: N_GaugeModeller on July 14, 2020, 08:43:54 AM
The springs are there forca reason, I would think twice before blanket removal.  If going down the lifting plank route give them a try before pulling all the springs out.  You will probably have better luck adding weight to the wagon via a fake load than removing springs and risk making the couplings unreliable.

NGM

Duly noted. Spring removal would be on a as needed basis, and yes, additional weight would be a first course of action.
Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66