N Gauge Gantry Crane

Started by Phil Hendry, March 27, 2013, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

I picked up one of those Vollmer kits at a second-hand stall for a couple of quid and bashed it in to a more British looking container crane. They're good value and easily adaptable.

H.

Phil Hendry

If Ratio would apply the 'Shrink Ray' (TM) to their 00 gauge model, I'd be sorted - it seems to be the 'right sort' of crane:

I am not a complete lunatic - there are pieces missing!

Phil Hendry

Great - thanks - several photos there which I hadn't seen before, including a very useful 'side-on' view of the crane.  And this 'flask train', which is just bloomin' lovely: 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

EtchedPixels

Not sure how you'd model that flask trolley easily. The loco is a 48DS fitted with exhaust extender and without buffers and is itself tiny. The wheels on that flash trolley must be under a foot in diameter!

Fascinating object.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Phil Hendry

There are various little trolleys and things in the Green Max range which might be useable - there are also a lot of different little 'motor bogies' available from Japan which might aid in motorising a shunter like that.

EtchedPixels

The 48DS kit uses the TU-7T. I can't think of anything with proper rotating wheels (ie non static) that would match that trolley though. Would be fun axles - they'd practically be a bit metal with flanges on !

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Phil Hendry

Thanks, but I think I'm sorted - the NGS shop had stock of the Mill Lane Sidings Heavy Duty Gantry Crane, which I shall 'tweak' a bit to more closely represent the typical type of crane used for loading flask wagons.

Cheers,
Phil

upnick

Glad you've got sorted Phil look forward to seeing the crane  ;) 

Phil Hendry

Grey or yellow? Yellow or grey?  Yellow is colourful.  It's also harder to spray than grey, not least because yellow pigments are fairly 'weedy', and don't cover well.  But it's more attractive than grey.  On the other hand, most of the photos show grey cranes.  It seems that nowadays, all the remaining flask cranes are grey.  In the past, a few (but by no means all) were yellow. 

The women in our household would prefer me to paint it yellow.  Can't get a response beyond 'Grunt' from the other, teenage, male although he is pre-occupied with revising his classical Greek ready for his AS level exam so he can, perhaps, be excused.

Leo1961

I think it should be yellow  :wave:

EtchedPixels

I'd vote for painting it grey for current era with just yellow/wasp stripes on hazard areas.

Some of the car yellows especially sprayed over white, are not too bad at least compared with certain rather dreadful model paints

1whitemoor

I'd opt for grey, light blue or white personally.

Paul A.

Alex

Hi,

The gantry crane at the nuclear loading facility at Georgemass Juntion is grey and rated for 100t.

Alex :wave:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations