Sourcing white wheels for wagons

Started by F2Andy, May 09, 2020, 09:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F2Andy

A lot of wagons have white wheels on the side that I assume are for the brakes.

You can see them on the far end of the PWAs here:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan

These tank wagons:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank

These hoppers:
https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ameypga

They tend to be relatively clean, whatever the state of the wagon, and being white are quite prominent, so there ansence feels obvious (to me!). A lot of models have them already present, but not all, and I have few kits etc. that would really benefit from them, but I have not been able to find them anywhere.

Does anyone know a good source?

crewearpley40

Maybe there for assisting with discharging but @njee20  or / and @red_death mike maybe able to answer this. Have you tried br lines ?

Steven B

They're for applying the wagon's hand brake.

N Brass Loco sell an etch of them in various sizes. You'll need to paint them though.

Steven B

crewearpley40

I did think of that. Thanks steven

F2Andy

Quote from: Steven B on May 09, 2020, 09:30:43 AM
They're for applying the wagon's hand brake.

N Brass Loco sell an etch of them in various sizes. You'll need to paint them though.
I looked on the N Brass Loco ten minutes before posting, and could not find them. You have prompted me to look more carefully,  and I have now found them. Thanks.

F2Andy

Quote from: crewearpley40 on May 09, 2020, 09:23:52 AM
Maybe there for assisting with discharging ...
That was my first guess, but they are on pallet vans, etc. as well.

njee20

Yep, as said they're handbrake wheels. Sometimes bogie mounted, sometimes body mounted. Some are solid, some are spoked. They'll be on both sides at one end of a wagon.

woodbury22uk

Just a word of caution from the real world. Back in about 1990 I received a phone call one evening to advise that one of our Polybulks full of China clay had shed its load at Acton. After a bit of questioning it turned out that the guard on the train had been securing the parking brakes prior to a locomotive change. By mistake he managed to turn the big wheel that operated the discharge gate instead of the parking brake wheel. The load flowed rather too quickly for him to be able to turn the wheel back and he could not stop a few tonnes ending up on the track and jamming the wagon in place.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

F2Andy

Quote from: njee20 on May 09, 2020, 09:56:06 AM
Yep, as said they're handbrake wheels. Sometimes bogie mounted, sometimes body mounted. Some are solid, some are spoked. They'll be on both sides at one end of a wagon.
Would the wheels on each side be connected to a single "axle" running through the width of the wagon?

woodbury22uk

Quote from: F2Andy on May 09, 2020, 05:49:12 PM
Quote from: njee20 on May 09, 2020, 09:56:06 AM
Would the wheels on each side be connected to a single "axle" running through the width of the wagon?

Sometimes "yes on an axle", but others the shaft turns a gear train that turns a through shaft.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations