Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Bit late and not really new, but these two are now ready to be released into traffic:

I do need to varnish 33030, but the weather isn't with us yet.

Skyline2uk

TalyllynJon

So, a couple of years ago I got a green light to build a layout (turns out the light wasn't so green after all - but that's another story!). My plan is to build a model of the station that once stood at the end of our garden in mid Wales. Ideally I'd set it pre-WW1, but because of the limited availability of r-t-r Cambrian, Midland and Brecon & Merthyr models I've decided to start off setting it pre-WW2 just so I can get something running. I drew up a list of 7 suitable locos either currently available or to be tracked down second hand. Problem is I keep going off-script! This is my latest anomaly - a beautiful engine and a stunning piece of miniaturisation. I love it, but I can't think of any logical justification for buying it. I think I need to spend a bit less time and money on eBay and a bit more time and money on actually building a layout!

Ted

Got myself a bargain by hunting around the dead pages of Google. I found a model shop (http://www.churchstreetmodels.co.uk/) selling a Class 58 in coal livery, but the listing was dated 2010. I gave them a call and alas it was sold, however they had this brand new mainline livery version. The owner suggested it had been hidden on his shelf for a decade.

£75 delivered... brand new. What a bargain for a hard to find model.

This will be carefully and lovingly resprayed in to Rf livery.
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

exmouthcraig

Our decision to build a small layout to play on has changed somewhat but it now does allow me to treat myself to a Class 47 and a Class 08.

Both of these locos came courtesy of a very good friend and originally a deal was struck to purchase some OTA wagons for Clifton Wood. However I was then offered six, bogie timber carriers which appeared to be a bit more modern, built off GF coach chassis but look absolutely fantastic. I dont know if they are an attempt at a particular wagon or just a very good scratchbuilt model. Happy is not the word for me right now!!!  :claphappy:

The 47 is latest spec GF in my most favoured ScotRail livery, however plans are already in place for modifications carried out by a very well respected N gauge builder. This will happen once were through lambing and I have time and hopefully money to get the ball rolling.

The 08 is also latest spec GF and I have plans for that however just running as is right now is the plan of the day!

Ted

Just arrived - I'm super chuffed with my new rake of Seacows!

Thanks to Alan @class37025 for selling them to me.

Just not Eddie.

Dr Al

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 22, 2020, 11:26:58 AM
The 47 is latest spec GF in my most favoured ScotRail livery,

....that's definitely not Southern region.... ;)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

exmouthcraig

Quote from: Dr Al on February 28, 2020, 01:15:54 AM
Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 22, 2020, 11:26:58 AM
The 47 is latest spec GF in my most favoured ScotRail livery,

Cheers,
Alan

:smiley-laughing: All in good time Sir  :hmmm:

Dr Al

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 28, 2020, 07:01:51 AM

Cheers,
Alan

[/quote]

Ah - with you  - it's going Ex-Scotrail, as later adoped by NSE - with you..... ;)

Mercig?

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Skyline2uk

Quote from: Dr Al on February 28, 2020, 08:48:48 AM
Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 28, 2020, 07:01:51 AM

Cheers,
Alan

Ah - with you  - it's going Ex-Scotrail, as later adoped by NSE - with you..... ;)

Mercig?

Cheers,
Alan
[/quote]

I wondered if this was going to be modelled as a 47/7 ex-"shove Duff".

I have been enjoying a lot of YouTube videos of BR in the 80s/90s recently, including the main line out of Paddington (Acton Main Line etc). I watched one the other day which must have been filmed just after the 47s arrived from Scotland, one was seen at Acton just like this, all Soctrail branding still in place. You can justify running "as is" until you do the livery mods.

Are you planning on adding the white brake cooling pipes?

Skyline2uk

exmouthcraig

Mercig yes most definitely, had a chat with Ian about it and hes come back with a list of mods he can carry out and the pricelist so as soon as I can it will be winging it's way to him for virtually everything possible!!

Sad part is it might be 6months before she comes home such is his workload  :'(

C'est la vie.

Like my Zs it will be worth the wait!!!

Dr Al

Quote from: exmouthcraig on February 28, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
Sad part is it might be 6months before she comes home such is his workload  :'(!

It takes time. But is good to see for the health of the hobby that this kind of thing is in demand.

Cheers,
Alan

P.s. still have B4 btw! And have 2 S15s to do....

Ted

I can't help myself.

I paid pretty much rrp for this class 37 Dutch, just because I wanted one and they're really hard to find.

I also bought every last one of these Colhops from the Hereford Model Centre website. I actually bought more than this but they refunded me the difference, as I had cleared them out!

Just not Eddie.

Newportnobby

I do like those Covhops but prefer the weathered variety and pick them up when they're cheap (and I have some funds)

Paddy

Very nice wagons @Ted and no doubt will seem great value at £16 in a couple of years. 😉

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Ted

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 29, 2020, 10:43:41 AM
I do like those Covhops but prefer the weathered variety and pick them up when they're cheap (and I have some funds)

Oh don't worry, these will be weathered!  :D

I have an airbrush setup coming Monday. I'm modelling late 80's early 90's, mostly freight ... so grime central.

Some inspiration from Shirebrook:

Just not Eddie.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations