windows10 mobile - mail not working.

Started by austinbob, November 09, 2018, 10:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

A couple of days ago my Nokia 930 phone mail app stopped working. It just gives the opening screen and then shuts down. Same with calendar app which is linked with mail.
Tried everything to fix it including a factory reset which resulted in hours of work to get everything else working ok.
Today, my wife's exact same phone had mail and calendar stop working with exactly the same symptoms. Weird.
My windows 10 pc mail app is still working fine.
Anyone got any clues as to what's gong on?
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

I'm not familiar with the mobile version, but can you go into the systems menu, apps and features and then find Mail and apply the reset? It shouldn't delete any data, just reset the app.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

austinbob

Quote from: Malc on November 09, 2018, 11:29:05 AM
I'm not familiar with the mobile version, but can you go into the systems menu, apps and features and then find Mail and apply the reset? It shouldn't delete any data, just reset the app.
There is no apps and features selection in mobile. There is an 'accounts' section which allows you to change email details, syncs etc. Tried fiddling, no joy. Mail app will not open.
Also looks like the equivalent PC mail has stopped working. Office Outlook is ok still and my Android tablet mail is ok too.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

@austinbob  I typed your fault details into Google and came up with all sorts - apparently it does happen! One of the successful solutions was as follows -

"I installed latest firmware using Windows Device Recovery Tool on my Lumia 930 and then I upgraded to windows 10 mobile using Upgrade Advisor. Now everything works fine."

Might be worth a try  ???
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

austinbob

Quote from: dannyboy on November 09, 2018, 02:57:28 PM
@austinbob  I typed your fault details into Google and came up with all sorts - apparently it does happen! One of the successful solutions was as follows -

"I installed latest firmware using Windows Device Recovery Tool on my Lumia 930 and then I upgraded to windows 10 mobile using Upgrade Advisor. Now everything works fine."

Thanks for that. Must say I'm a bit iffy about starting everything from scratch again. Takes so long and you can easily lose data.
Still don't understand why wife's identical phone developed identical fault within a couple of days. Doesn't sound like coincidence - more like a bug.

Phones are 4 years old now, might be time to trade in for a new non windows phone.

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on November 09, 2018, 03:17:59 PM
Quote from: dannyboy on November 09, 2018, 02:57:28 PM

Thanks for that. Must say I'm a bit iffy about starting everything from scratch again. Takes so long and you can easily lose data.
Still don't understand why wife's identical phone developed identical fault within a couple of days. Doesn't sound like coincidence - more like a bug.

Phones are 4 years old now, might be time to trade in for a new non windows phone.
Just checked on line and as far as I can tell I have the latest firmware revision on my Lumia 930

Bob Austin

austinbob

Microsoft provided an automatic update to the mobile mail app today and both phones are now working fine.
Must have been a bug.

Bob Austin

Dorsetmike

Seems to me Windows updates are a bug much of the time especially Win 10 by the number of posts I see on various forums. Not had any problems on Win 7 since I disabled all MS updates over a year ago.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

dannyboy

Glad the phones are working correctly now Bob. Sounds like one of those moments when someone at Microsoft has gone "Whoops" and quickly (?) sorted it.
@austinbob
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations