Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe cassidy

Thanks to all for your commiserations/good wishes.

To be honest it wasn't a shock as we knew that the company was in difficulty.

The shock will come when I look for work as I'd been with the company for 34 years.

Anyway I've survived 2 divorces so no doubt I'll get through this too.

All the best,

Joe

Newportnobby

Very sorry to hear that after your long years of loyal service, Joe. Hopefully the fact you've not jumped from job to job will stand you in good stead. All the best and please keep us posted.

talisman56

Sorry to hear of your impending unemployment, Joe.

I have been made redundant twice through companies going 't*ts up' in seven years (early 2007 and late 2013). After the last one and at 57, I made upwards of 40 job applications in the following six months, and apart from the rare acknowledgement of receipt of my application, heard nothing else. I could imagine the young HR upstarts getting their socks off to count up my age from my DoB on the forms...

A small inheritance and the discovery that I could activate the pension that ended up in the Pension Protection Fund from the first company meant that I could retire early, so I had a bit of luck there, I hope you have luck in your job search.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Delboy

This pales into insignificance when compared to poor Joe's plight, (Good luck on the job front Joe - hope it all turns out for you.), but here goes.

It seems like I may need a new 3D printer motherboard but waiting for absolute confirmation as it is going to be £100. I am hoping to get it under warranty but the company, whom I bought it through, say that beyond 30 days I must send it back to the manufacturers (in China).  >:(
Once I know the true extent of the problem I will see if it is possible to acquire the part for free and fix it myself. I guess that is the problem with purchasing from a manufacturer in China.
Perhaps someone in the legal profession on the forum could advise me of my rights with this one. It doesn't seem correct that you can buy an item in the UK,with a 12 months warranty, and the supplying company can relinquish all responsibility once you have had the item more than 30 days.
:veryangry:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

steve836

Hi Delboy 
It isn't correct that the co you bought the printer from can relinquish responsibility. Under the sale of goods act the responsibility is theirs. I would suggest that you tell them that you will refer the matter to their local trading standards department. That will probably be enough to shift the lead, but if not carry out the threat.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Delboy

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. Based on your answer I have just spoken to Citizen's Advice and they have confirmed what you say - that, under the 12 months they should offer me a free repair or replacement. However here is the rub:-

The onus is on me to prove that I have not caused the fault due to misuse or mishandling of the 3D printer.
How the  :censored: am I going to be able to prove that with an item like a 3D printer that can be subject to any form of misuse during its operations.
Makes you wonder whether a 12 months warranty is worth the paper it is written on for certain items.
:hmmm:
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Malc

I would insist that as it is a motherboard fault and not the moving parts that you cannot have misused it,
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

stevewalker

Quote from: Delboy on January 23, 2019, 04:25:50 PM
... under the 12 months they should offer me a free repair or replacement. However here is the rub:-

The onus is on me to prove that I have not caused the fault due to misuse or mishandling of the 3D printer.

I think there is a bit more to that - "If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it's presumed to have been there from the time you received it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise."

Delboy

Quote from: Malc on January 23, 2019, 04:39:32 PM
I would insist that as it is a motherboard fault and not the moving parts that you cannot have misused it,

I think you make a good point there Malc.

Quote from: stevewalker on January 23, 2019, 05:19:02 PM
... under the 12 months they should offer me a free repair or replacement. However here is the rub:-

I think there is a bit more to that - "If you discover the fault within the first six months from delivery, it's presumed to have been there from the time you received it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise."
Thanks for the comment Steve, but I am not sure I agree with this line of reasoning. If you spend good money on a product that has a 12 month warranty, then the assumption must be that the manufacturer has confidence that , under normal use, the product will not fail during that 12 months warranty period. To suggest that a product cannot be deemed worthy of a warranty repair after 6 months of ownership cannot be correct in my opinion. It is surely not about whether the fault was deemed to be there from the beginning, but more about an assurance that the product you have acquired lasts the lifetime of the warranty.

Delboy

stevewalker

Quote from: Delboy on January 23, 2019, 07:12:32 PM
Quote from: Malc on January 23, 2019, 04:39:32 PM

I think you make a good point there Malc.

Quote from: stevewalker on January 23, 2019, 05:19:02 PM

Thanks for the comment Steve, but I am not sure I agree with this line of reasoning. If you spend good money on a product that has a 12 month warranty, then the assumption must be that the manufacturer has confidence that , under normal use, the product will not fail during that 12 months warranty period. To suggest that a product cannot be deemed worthy of a warranty repair after 6 months of ownership cannot be correct in my opinion. It is surely not about whether the fault was deemed to be there from the beginning, but more about an assurance that the product you have acquired lasts the lifetime of the warranty.

Delboy

It is not that items are not worthy of warranty repair after 6 months - indeed you can claim for up to six years in many cases! It is simply that for the first six months, you don't have to prove anything. After that, you need to show that it was a manufacturing defect and not mis-treatment by you. You can go to a third party to produce a report and, if it shows that it was likely a fault from manufacture, you can get the item replaced or repaired AND be refunded the cost of the report.

Delboy

Hi Steve
Thanks for your clarification
I will consider my options and make a decision on the way forward
Delboy

GroupC

Quote from: GroupC on December 09, 2018, 02:23:15 PM
Quite a few pages ago I posted that my friend had found out he has a brain tumour.

Since then it was diagnosed as the least bad sort, still needing surgery to remove however. He's now had another MRI and they told him it wasn't what they first thought. He's going in tomorrow for a 6-hour op to have it removed. All of this is awful enough but he apart from the initial "access" phase into his head, shall we say, he has to be awake for he whole operation.

Sort of puts stuff into perspective really and I cannot begin to imagine how his wife and family will be feeling tomorrow.

If anyone has 5 minutes spare tomorrow from about noon could they please send positive vibes towards Leeds General Infirmary. I would appreciate it greatly.

To refer to the above quote from me...

I went to see my friend today. His tumour which started as Grade 1, the least bad one, turned rapidly into a Grade 4, the absolute worst, hence the surgery I mentioned.

He got back home on New Year's Eve and starts chemo and radiotherapy this Thursday, for 6 weeks, to target the remaining parts of the tumour they were unable to remove during surgery. He told me the whole story of his last few weeks (incl Christmas in LGI) today and you really would not want to have been him!

Incredibly he looks really fit and well and you'd never guess what he's undergone, or what he still has to undergo, or that he even has anything at all wrong with him, from his outward persona, which is great, but of course he still has the cancer.

I'd like to say thanks, if I didn't before, to those who replied, read or even scanned over my initial post. We still need your help! From what he's said the NHS has been amazing (an overused word in society today, but here it is spot on) so huge thanks too, to all at LGI and the various labs which have dealt with him.

So... Keep fighting Peter!

daveg

Excellent news, GroupC and well done your pal and all the team at LGI.

A colleague had a quite similar experience some years back and came out of it 100% so all the very best for the next phase of treatment.

Well done you too for being obviously such a great friend.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

dannyboy

Best wishes to Peter and a  :thankyousign: to you @GroupC  for being a friend to him. 
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

paulprice

We are very lucky to have the NHS

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations