Advice Wanted

Started by Michael Hendle, October 08, 2013, 04:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hendle

:hellosign:
I was planning to get the Electra Railway Graphics 3 Hampshire Set,according to the description I need 3 Grafar MK1 coaches,which is alright if it was going to a static model.

I was wondering if there is a propriety chassis that I could use instead to power it?

I'm new here so hope I have put this in the right place

:thankyousign:

Mike  :Class414:

Calnefoxile

I would suspect that you can use the Farish 158/159/170 chassis, the bogies can be moved and the chassis shortened to fit MK1 conversions. I have one to do for my 4-CEP, but haven't got round to it yet, it's on the list of things to do  :D :D

I'm sure Grahame Hedges (H of this parish) can give more details, in fact I'm sure he covered this in one of his N'Spirations publications.

Regards

Neal.

edwin_m

Alternatively the 101, 108 and 150 have a chassis with only one powered bogie, which avoids the need to modify the mechanism and would also allow a partial interior in the powered car. 

EtchedPixels

Quote from: edwin_m on October 08, 2013, 08:51:57 PM
Alternatively the 101, 108 and 150 have a chassis with only one powered bogie, which avoids the need to modify the mechanism and would also allow a partial interior in the powered car.

For some units a full interior as they've got big parcel spaces at one end (or indeed diesel engines for the SR DEMU stock)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Calnefoxile

Quote from: edwin_m on October 08, 2013, 08:51:57 PM

Ah yes, but are the 101/108's 63' or are they 57' (the same length as a BG) I can't remember off the top of my head. If they are 57' then they'll need lengthening, but I do agree about them being modern motor bogies.

Also they're still quite expensive to buy 2nd hand, just to use the chassis under something else, whereas the 158/159/170's are relatively cheap 2nd hand.

Regards

Neal.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Calnefoxile on October 08, 2013, 11:32:50 PM
Ah yes, but are the 101/108's 63' or are they 57' (the same length as a BG) I can't remember off the top of my head. If they are 57' then they'll need lengthening, but I do agree about them being modern motor bogies.

Also they're still quite expensive to buy 2nd hand, just to use the chassis under something else, whereas the 158/159/170's are relatively cheap 2nd hand.

Actually the 101's are not badly priced at all. Get the version with two motorised chassis and it's very nicely priced

Length really isn't an issue because you can adjust them quite happily. You can also of course use the 150 chassis.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Michael Hendle

Thanks for the advice I think that knocks my plan to get 3 Hampshire set,l don't feel competent enough to go hacking chassis about to get the unit to work
Mikehendle

Adam1701D

Hi Mike,

A good alternative is the Tomix TM-18 20 metre chassis unit. It is a lovely flywheel driven chassis that would fit in a Thumper nicely below the window line. The downside is the bogies are slightly too small, but once the sideframes are glued on, it will look fine.

This is the TM18 modified to fit under the N-Train Class 313 kit.

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Michael Hendle

:thankyousign:

Thanks Adam

For the reply that chassis looks Ideal for the model.

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations