Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Piewalker

As promised, pictureseses.... I must have been feeling a bit peaky...

I'll get my coat...

Les1952

I don't know why the pic of Firdaussi didn't come out- here it is, uploaded again.  This is the one that started off as a Gladiateur.

Just for comparison Gladiateur, which started off as Dr Al's Scotsman...

Confused?  You should be.

Les

johnlambert

Quote from: johnlambert on September 19, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
I resisted the second hand Dapol Hall but I don't think I'll be able to hold out for long...

As some predicted I couldn't resist and went back for the GWR Hall.

It has been detailed with lamps, real coal and tools on the tender.  The gears, motion and traction tyres were also swimming in oil.  On its first run it would derail after a short run (but a longer run than was possible in the shop); after a quick look at the wheels I could see the traction tyres were stretched and not sitting in the groove.

For comparison, an old tyre on the left and a replacement from my spares stock.

I ended up stripping it right down to get the traction tyres over the wheels, there didn't seem to be sufficient access to do it any other way.  It also gave me a good opportunity to clean it out and make sure everything was ok.  I've never stripped a Dapol loco before but it actually went ok although I did manage to dislodge the driver and fireman and one lamp; the wires between the tender and loco also broke but for now it runs ok on just the tender pickups (they will be replaced.

One other thing I discovered was that the front bogie wasn't the original (possibly a Farish one) that fouled the cylinders on second radius curves.  With a bogie from my other Dapol Hall it ran very well.

I've had a look on DCC supplies but I can't see replacement bogies listed, anyone got a spare?

Dr Al

Quote from: johnlambert on September 28, 2015, 09:36:50 PM
I've had a look on DCC supplies but I can't see replacement bogies listed, anyone got a spare?

Try Joel at Dapol direct - they might have the goodwill to find you one - otherwise, you might be in for a long wait - I waited 2 years before getting a similar bogie for a Manor - and that only came from someone stripping a Hall to turn to 2mm FS standards.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

Quote from: Les1952 on September 25, 2015, 07:23:18 PM
Just for comparison Gladiateur, which started off as Dr Al's Scotsman...

Glad it's still serving you well - though it was a bit cleaner when I had it lol.....  ;D  ;D

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

johnlambert

Quote from: Dr Al on September 29, 2015, 09:27:14 AM
Quote from: johnlambert on September 28, 2015, 09:36:50 PM

Try Joel at Dapol direct - they might have the goodwill to find you one - otherwise, you might be in for a long wait - I waited 2 years before getting a similar bogie for a Manor - and that only came from someone stripping a Hall to turn to 2mm FS standards.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks Alan.  DCC Supplies was able to find one and sell it to me (I just hope it turns out to be right when it arrives).

Bought quite a few bits and pieces over the past 6 months or so. I'm sure there are some things I've missed but here's the headliners.

Dapol Malcolm 66 with Megafrets and containers. Sold as a non-runner for under £60. Emitted a little smoke at first followed by jerky running but after removing what looked like  vaseline from the gears she's running much smoother and only getting better. Also one wire to the lighting has snapped so lights only work in one direction for the moment. Easy fix though.

The rest were all good bargains too but maybe not quite as much as the 66.

Farish 57 Pride of Crewe (DCC fitted) - £65
Farish DRS BSO - £15
Farish 57011 DRS - £55
4x Dapol Tiphook Telescopic Hoods (unboxed) - £3 each
2x Farish Scotrail mk2s (unboxed) - £2 each
1x Farish Scotrail mk1 (unboxed) £2
Dapol Cross Country Mk3 - £8

Really happy with the haul so far and I've got my eye on a few other things that may end up going for equally bargain-esque prices!

scruff

Just a bit!! Can I have some lessons please 60006??

Some excellent prices you found..

Cheers
Mark

Hailstone

Colin Heard's latest magnum opus - the Dean Goods

a joy to watch

Regards,

Alex

johnlambert

Dapol Collett Third Corridor to go with my rake of GWR coaches.

It looks at home between my Graham Farish Hawksworth coaches and my Dapol NGS BG

I also bought two old-style Graham Farish Pullman parlour cars; giving me a nice four coach Pullman train (two brake coaches and two parlour coaches), I just need a kitchen coach.

All the above came from Ebay.

railsquid

A warship has just docked in Japan:

and is providing company for its slightly older cousin from Germany (lurking in the background).

paulprice

Quote from: railsquid on October 04, 2015, 01:36:01 PM

and is providing company for its slightly older cousin from Germany (lurking in the background).
You need more LMS STEAM  :P

railsquid

Quote from: paulprice on October 04, 2015, 01:39:42 PM
Quote from: railsquid on October 04, 2015, 01:36:01 PM

You need more LMS STEAM  :P
I have two LMS coaches (for some reason), if it helps:

paulprice

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations