Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeMo

Seriously love this layout!

The combination of ancient and modern reminds me of Leighton Buzzard when the narrow gauge trains run through the town. Not close to the West Coast Mainline, but if it did, I'm sure it'd look like Deansmoor.

What's the music? Very jolly. Half expected the Thomas the Tank Engine tune!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

PostModN66

Hi Nemo,

My mate Neal (Cooper - of Horseblock Lane)'s son has started to volunteer at Leighton Buzzard.  It's distracting him from modelling!  The music is a bit of a composition of mine - it was an experiment to see if I could sound like Steely Dan; I think it has worked in part.

Just had another exhibition invitation for Deansmoor - Staines in Jan 2016, so not too far away.

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Roy L S

Quote from: NeMo on May 29, 2015, 04:22:22 PM
Seriously love this layout!

The combination of ancient and modern reminds me of Leighton Buzzard when the narrow gauge trains run through the town. Not close to the West Coast Mainline, but if it did, I'm sure it'd look like Deansmoor.

What's the music? Very jolly. Half expected the Thomas the Tank Engine tune!

Cheers, NeMo

Hi NeMo

Funnily enough my wife and I went for a walk along the stretch of the Grand Union Canal that runs from what was Leighton Buzzard Basin to Grove Lock (And Pub of same name). I wanted to see what remained of the bridge that carried the Leighton -Dunstable line over the canal. Answer it is there and looking very tidy (now part is a footbridge). Along that stretch of towpath is an isolated piece of narrow gauge track set in concrete alongside the canal which was obviously used for tipping sand into canal boats.

The narrow gauge line used to transfer it's loads of sand at Grovebury Sidings on this branch which then went up to the WCML for onward transit until the mid-60's after the rest of the line had closed. There was a proper network of 2ft gauge lines in this area from all accounts and the last internal ones in quarries lasted until about 1980!

Regards

Roy

queensquare

Thanks for posting, that is very, very, very exciting! Also, love the little old 14xx - I assume it's pre-Dapol? And are the wheels plain brass?

Just spotted this. The 14xx is a Langley etched body with replacement boiler fittings. I sits on a scratch built chassis using 2mm Association wheels and a Nigel Lawton motor. It was recently out of shops having had new wheels fitted hence their being unpainted.

Jeryy

NeMo

Quote from: Roy L S on May 29, 2015, 05:55:14 PM
The narrow gauge line used to transfer it's loads of sand at Grovebury Sidings on this branch which then went up to the WCML for onward transit until the mid-60's after the rest of the line had closed. There was a proper network of 2ft gauge lines in this area from all accounts and the last internal ones in quarries lasted until about 1980!
Outstanding. Will have to make an effort to find out more about this. Thanks for the details!

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

Railwaygun

S& D JR Farish 4-4-0 + 2 farish coaches + 2 weetabix coaches after a repaint

The loco needed a small amount of lead sheet on the front bogie to run well on my Kato track but is now fine.

[smg id=25382 type=preview align=center caption="Before"]

[smg id=25192 type=preview align=center caption="After"]

Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Newportnobby

Quote from: PostModN66 on May 29, 2015, 04:16:17 PM
Shown here in motion!  Bear with me, that's the slowest I could get it to run!

Clearance is a little tight on the tunnel mouth, Jon! :sweat:

Roy L S

Quote from: Only Me on May 29, 2015, 08:28:18 PM
Quote from: NeMo on May 29, 2015, 06:38:27 PM
Quote from: Roy L S on May 29, 2015, 05:55:14 PM

Outstanding. Will have to make an effort to find out more about this. Thanks for the details!

Cheers, NeMo

Just up the road from me! Roy you were so close to a steam train ride and you missed it !! ;)

http://www.buzzrail.co.uk Can still travel from the town to the brickworks on the old line, just beyond is the still working sand plant at Double Arches!

I am very close - I can hear the steam train whistles from my house if the wind is in the right direction!

Roy L S

Quote from: Only Me on May 29, 2015, 08:36:15 PM
Ah apologies i got the wrong end of the conversation!! Oops!! An age thing!

No need to apologise at all, I don't think it was clear from my comments that I am local to it!

I do keep looking at the LB-Dunstable branch as a modelling prospect, there are so many interesting features, not least the idea of working narrow gauge feeder lines and heavy G2 hauled trains from the Totternhoe Lime works but it'll have to wait in the queue, I am set on my next layout being something fictional but based on M&GN lines, somersault signals and all.

Regards

Roy

Roy L S

Quote from: Only Me on May 29, 2015, 09:02:47 PM
We (the club) are building our new project based on Eye Green on the M&GN ... Maybe you can pop along the a421 to our monthly club meet at some point :) (Buckden)

Thank you, I would be very interested to see Eye Green at some point, looking at RAC Route Planner Buckden doesn't look that difficult, the A421 is a good fast road.

You say you have monthly Club meets, what day are they on generally?

Regards

Roy

gc4946

I've turned my attention to strengthening my carriage fleet.

The Bulleid BSO will complete a 3-car Southern Region ad-hoc set based on one photographed during July 1967:

Mk1 BSK in blue/grey + Bulleid green CK + BSO

Four weathered Mk1s : BG, 2 X SO and SK to form an all-maroon set with my existing (pristine) CK, RU and BCK carriages.

"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

NOE 544R

Quote from: gc4946 on May 30, 2015, 05:39:14 PM
I've turned my attention to strengthening my carriage fleet.

The Bulleid BSO will complete a 3-car Southern Region ad-hoc set based on one photographed during July 1967:

Mk1 BSK in blue/grey + Bulleid green CK + BSO

Four weathered Mk1s : BG, 2 X SO and SK to form an all-maroon set with my existing (pristine) CK, RU and BCK carriages.

How do you find the weathering on the coaches? Is it any decent or would you personally add more?

Thanks

gc4946

These weathered carriages look as though a trip through the washer is long overdue.

I wouldn't add any more weathering to them and would have preferred a little less, just concentrating it on the underframe and leaving it at that, rather than up the bodysides as well.

Nevertheless, I'll be running them with my heavily weathered 45572 Jubilee "Eire" to give an impression of a typical London Midland Region train on the ex-GCR after they took over the route.
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Shiney Sheff

Just had to get one following the reviews

[smg id=25466 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1466"]

talisman56

Quote from: gc4946 on May 30, 2015, 06:20:35 PM
These weathered carriages look as though a trip through the washer is long overdue.

I wouldn't add any more weathering to them and would have preferred a little less, just concentrating it on the underframe and leaving it at that, rather than up the bodysides as well.

I have one of the recently-released weathered Maroon BCKs and the body weathering is a lot more subtle, and IMHO more acceptable than the 'unwashed crud' effect on the earlier weathered Maroons.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations