Mentions / Tag / Tagging Members

Started by guest2, May 18, 2015, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

This modification allows members to tag/mention other members in a post.  Handy if you want someone to specifically view a post featuring something.  They may have requested a picture of something and made a new thread with that picture in it, or you may have read something in a thread that may interest another member.

How do I use it?

1.  Simply write the '@' symbol in a message and start typing a members username.  After the third character a list of members matching those characters appear, and you can select the member that you wish to tag/mention.  Shown below....

This shows a message with two sentences and how the tag will look before submitting it....

This pictures show a preview of a message with the tag submitted....

This picture shows the Alert that you've been tagged, and a Private Message that you have received with a link to that thread and post....

How the PM will look....

I do hope this will be useful to members, as it proves popular on social media platforms.

Many thanks,
Tank.

Edit:-  I have just realised that there is a typo in each picture.  Whoops! ::)

austinbob

Very neat Tank.

All I've got to do now is remember this facility is available!!! Brain Overload is close.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Trainfish

I didn't know this was here until NN told me I had been tagged. So if I type @Trainfish then I will receive this message via PM too?

Edit: It would appear not
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Calnefoxile

Quote from: Trainfish on October 10, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
I didn't know this was here until NN told me I had been tagged. So if I type @Trainfish then I will receive this message via PM too?

Edit: It would appear not

No but if I do it @Trainfish it will  :D  :D

Cheers

Neal.

Trainfish

You're right @Calnefoxile it did. Looks a bit messy in the PM though.

Edit: Ignore me, I was looking in the reply box  :doh:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Tank

Ha ha ha!!!!  I'm glad you've sussed it out! :thumbsup:

DELETED

Just to say as someone who finds this "@" thing annoying if you get repeat messages and don't know where to look on threads afterwards.  I found recently you can disable the "@" tagging thing in your profile settings.

Saves a bit of responses like "what" "who" -"I said what on what thread" or "sure I never commented on that thread / post before?"  "I already made my point, now I have 3 notifications to decipher"

Newportnobby

I, for one, find the tagging facility very useful but obviously don't know how the 'taggee' feels about it.
It is certainly a good way to bring to someone's attention there is a post specifically aimed at them on the open forum.

njee20

It is useful, but is overused IMO. I'd only use it when I'm actively wanting someone's input. It often seems to be used just because you've mentioned a member. There are a lot of notifications on here anyway, between emails every time someone responds to a thread you've posted on plus the quote and thank you notifications I do find it a bit odd. I can see why folk would turn it off, but that obviously defeats the purpose of it.

Tank

If someone is responding to a post in a thread and they quote a person, then the tagging feature shouldn't be used, as the quote (any any reply) will email the user.  I think it should only be used to introduce someone to a thread who isn't already aware.

austinbob

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2017, 10:05:50 AM
If someone is responding to a post in a thread and they quote a person, then the tagging feature shouldn't be used, as the quote (any any reply) will email the user.  I think it should only be used to introduce someone to a thread who isn't already aware.
That's good advice Tank. I've been getting more and more tag emails recently and it is definitely getting to be a bit of a nuisance.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2017, 10:05:50 AM

Totally agree, which was my point. A lot of people seem to thank you, quote you and then say "thanks @username", which is slight unnecessary. It's a useful feature though for someone saying "I don't know the answer, but @username is the one to ask".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations