Weathering questions

Started by Grassyfield, February 27, 2024, 08:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grassyfield

I dont understand how people use paint thinner or isoproyl to weather with. I have seen people use them for washing or helping to blend things in, but i dont understand how thery are doing it with out the factory paint job already on the loco or wagon coming off at the same time. I wanted to clean some grease off the body of my loco, and i wiped it with a very tiny bit of iso and noticed it had faded some paint, and probably has removed all the varnish that was already on it. So can some one explain this to me lol :D. Thank you very much.

pinball

Isopropyl alcohol is really only used when airbrushing - there are reasons to do with physics which are beyond my comprehension as to why it's fine to use it as an airbrush thinner, or very very carefully to remove existing weathering. It is possible if you are experienced to use it to distress paint and fade stuff when weathering but it's not something I would personally use for that, since the risks of damage are high if you go too far with it.

There will be others on here who can advise better, but all of my information comes from a lot of reading, listening to people on here and a bit of trial and error on my part.

Don't use it for cleaning any part of your trains other than the wheels (and not on those with traction tyres).

If you are interested in weathering stuff, then do what I did to begin with.

Start off with building scenery on your layout and get some simple plastic kits (e.g. Kestrel stuff) and get used to priming, painting and very simple effects such as using whitish washes to bring out brick mortar and dry brushing on roof tiles, or doing simple rust effects on metal sheds and so on. Might sound a bit boring compared to getting a 47 nice and dirty but it's worth it in the long run.

Don't worry about rolling stock (and certainly not your best locos!) until you've got some experience with painting and weathering scenery. I certainly don't want to put anyone who is new to the hobby off (I am still new myself), but it's good advice I was given when I started.

Grassyfield

I see, well this method involving iso and paint thinner was primarily on rolling stock so i guess thats why they did it on that since its not to expensive and not big deal if some paint gets removed etc.

I do have painting experience, it's just been a couple of years since i picked brush up that's all, but only experience with acrylic typed paints, and acrylic washes. Never dealt with powered or any other type of paints.

Thank you heaps for your help, have awesome day/night!.

martyn

Don't use neat iso on model paintwork, there is a good chance it will damage it, especially finer things like lining and numbers.

There are a few threads, I think, about weathering, so have look through some of these; I have seen Ensign Elliott's work at close quarters, and it's really good. I have used thinned paints, both enamel and acrylic, as well as 'ready made' washes (eg Humbrol), but I haven't used any weathering powder.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations