Gaugemaster Collection: Class 73's

Started by guest6298, August 31, 2018, 05:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

After running my 73 in a few weeks back I thought I'd take it to our James Street test session yesterday and see how it copes with a train in a real setting rather than my test track. It did about 3m and then started slowing down. After a minute or so a full opening of the controller got it barely moving. Any ideas what might have gone wrong in advance of me taking it to bits?

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Southerngooner

I finally got around to testing it on my test track today and bizarrely it ran perfectly. I'll take it back to James Street after Xmas and try it again. I did take the body off and what a flimsy model it is until it's all together. The mainframe/buffer beam moulding is really flexible plastic, and the chassis feels light, although it looks like there's room under the cabs for weight if needed. It did pull eight Mk1s without an issue though despite that. Definitely not my best model, but should you expect more for its age and price?

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

bluedepot

glad to hear yours is working!

yeh the plastic frame is really weak.

unfortunately it's all we have unless we can persuade rapido or revolution to make a better one.

thankfully i have 3 that run well and 1 that runs about average, so I'm ok with 4 working 73s.  i have one more i may sell or convert into a dummy.

a class 74 in n would be nice! come on rapido get on with it!

tim

violets49

I have two. One works perfectly, the other doesn't. I agree with all the comments here. Seems a bit flimsy. Not the best Dapol model I've ever seen. :(

Capri_sam

I'm going to experiment with cutting a new frame out of very fine glazing lead - I haven't looked into it in too much detail but it should be a relatively easy cut, won't be any less flimsy than the plastic (though no stronger either, frankly) and will add a gram or two. Bit of tungsten fishing putty in the cabs should get that up a bit more too.

Steven B

@captainelectra Adam, don't suppose you could suggest something grey, yellow and Scouse  for a future Dapol/Gaugemaster class 73 release:

73006 73002 Rhyl 120394 img1211-1394mb-a-m by Tony Woof, on Flickr

Steven B.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations