Possible mobile phone scam

Started by GroupC, January 01, 2019, 04:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

I had a text message at 1447 today wishing me a "Happy new year!! I hope you have a happy, healthy year full of love and happiness!! Xxxx"

This was not from any of my contacts. As I've changed my phone this year and haven't been bothered to transfer all my lapsed contacts into my new one, I checked all those as well and it's none of them.

I googled the phone number and it appears in a "uk-community" website under the name Gilberto Owen. I don't know anyone of that name. I don't know of any companies etc. who may legitimately have my phone number who would care enough about me to send me a text like this.

A bit more googling showed me that I'm not the only one to have received calls / messages from spurious numbers which all lead to this website.

I haven't done anything apart from delete the text on my phone, and haven't clicked anything online as it looks like it may be a scam of some sort. As much as I'd like to have a new friend who gives new multiple kisses (ooerr) I'm not daft and wouldn't recommend anyone to reply to any such texts saying for example "who are you"? - this would prove your line was active and could lead who-knows-where.

Be warned!

And a real happy new year from an actual person (me).

daffy

Thanks for the heads up, though my standard reaction to any text, email, or any form of unsolicited communication is to bin it immediately.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

exmouthcraig

Do we know @GroupC  is actually a real person or is this part of the scam????:D

But on a serious note,
It never ceases to amaze me the way they create these things and the amount people they trick  :uneasy:

MJKERR

If you are in the UK
Send a Text to the Spam service of your network provider
They will then reply back asking for the phone number, reply with that
Depending on device, now add that phone number to your block list

who-called.co.uk is a good service to check a phone number

GroupC

Quote from: exmouthcraig on January 01, 2019, 05:40:20 PM
Do we know @GroupC  is actually a real person or is this part of the scam????:D

But on a serious note,
It never ceases to amaze me the way they create these things and the amount people they trick  :uneasy:

How can we prove that anything is real? Or are we all living in the Matrix? Or is it just me? Or you?!

I need a lie down and another sip of that xmas whisky to dull the possibility that I may not exist. Uneasy on all fronts. I'm at work tomorrow, if I do not exist can I have the day off? Please?

Tom U

Do not adjust your perception - it is reality at fault!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations