Memory sticks

Started by polo2k, January 31, 2012, 03:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polo2k

Hi all, ive made a boo boo and wanted to ask for a little guidence.

I have boiught a mini laptop with an SD slot (I already have MICROSD - SD adaptors), I bought an adaptor to take 2x micro SD cards but didnt realise that its is an MS PRO duo adaptor.

Is it possible to buy either:
2x Micro SD into 1x SD adaptor
1x MS ProDuo into 1x SD

Ta
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Tank

I use ProDuo with my cameras and laptop.  Yes you can buy adaptors to convert them for SD use.  Quite cheap on eBay.

polo2k

have you got a link, I couldnt find one ???
Cheers
-Ash-

Tank

Doh, I was thinking of a Micro SD to Pro Duo. ::)  Sorry!  Does your laptop have a USB port?  Why don't you use the Pro Duo adaptor and put that in a Card Reader, which then slots into a USB port?

Flakmunky

Hi,

I don't quite understand... Are you planning on using these as additional storage space and therefore want to keep them attached all the time?

Maybe not so relevant but have you looked in to Dropbox? It gives 2gb of free online storage, there is a Windows, iPad, iPhone and Android client as well as a browser based interface. You can get up to 8gb free storage... If you (or anyone else) would be interested, send me a pm with your email address. If you sign up from my invite we both get an additional 250Mb storage space...

Regards,

Tim

polo2k

Yeah Chris, you did exactly the same as me lol

its for my new mini laptop

its an Asus EEEpc 701SD
basically a 7.1" screen and still running full windows, as quick as my usual lappy. This particular version uses 8 Gb internal flash storage (no HDD so faster read/write and no moving bits). There is an SD port in there so I was planning on leaving 2x 32Gb Micro SD cards in the SD port all the time, giving me 70Gb of Flash storage

I realise that the flash storage seems a bit of a headache, but the lappy was £50! and because there are no spinning platters in there I can also use the lappy to control the standalone engine management in my Morris Minor Traveller VR6.

I guess I might have to settle for 8+32 Gb, or go inside and add a couple of Micro SD ports in place of the modem port as there are usb headers and 3-5v supplies available on the motherboard.
Cheers
-Ash-

Newportnobby

Duh - haven't got a clue what you guys are talking about, but should this not be in the 'Computer help' section.

Heard a term today which tickled me. PICNIC - Problem In Chair Not In Computer ;D

red_death

Quote from: polo2k on February 01, 2012, 12:54:55 PM
its an Asus EEEpc 701SD
basically a 7.1" screen and still running full windows, as quick as my usual lappy. This particular version uses 8 Gb internal flash storage (no HDD so faster read/write and no moving bits). There is an SD port in there so I was planning on leaving 2x 32Gb Micro SD cards in the SD port all the time, giving me 70Gb of Flash storage

Ash

I would be a bit careful - the early Asus Eee's (particluarly the 701 and 900) were very fussy about which SD cards they would accept particularly if you are using the stock Xandros.  There is a list of some which worked OK here: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/hardware:eee_un_supported_devices

Cheers, Mike

polo2k

Ill check that out, Ive heard that there is a finite number of read/writes to the internal flash (however there are 16Gb ones avail if it dies)

Ive got Xp running on there and with the right drivers etc it runs like a beaut!
Cheers
-Ash-

longbridge

I had the same Notebook computer and had no problem with either Flash Drives or SD Cards, mine did not have Win XP on it but came new with a butchered version of Linux Xandros, I got rid of straight away and loaded Linux Mint as a replacement, worked like a dream after that.

Also used an external DVD drive with it that worked A1.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations