Dapol Schools class

Started by geofff, November 29, 2021, 11:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geofff

Hello , I'm considering getting one of the Dapol Schools class. The reviews state the model is tender driven and the main wheels have tyres - none of my current locos has tyres. My layout only has radius 1 curves, but has not caused any other locos to have problems.

Has anyone had problems with this model and would you consider it a good aqusition?

longbow

A search of this forum will bring up a number of issues with this loco, including its fragile valve gear and dislike of sharp curves. Perhaps the latest batch is improved but I've seen no comments to that effect. 

PLD

The Schools, is not "tender driven"; like all Dapol Steam Tender locos to date is driven through the LOCO wheels from a tender mounted motor...

It does have the finest & closest to scale valve gear of any R-T-R loco to date, so consequentially is more prone to damage by ham-fisted handling by the less careful owners.

It also has a different mounting for the front bogie which is closer to the prototype than most R-T-R models. This does mean that it can have issues if run at excessive speed around unrealistically tight curves. The proptotype's minimum radius was somewhere in excess of the equivalent of R4 set-track and dead slow at that radius, so we should not expect it to go around trainset corners at 100mph.

All considered, I would not recommend if you have only R1 curves.

Bob G

Dapol's box labelling states minimum curve R1 or 9".

I find that loosening the screw holding the front bogie a little has helped, and turning thebogie through 180 degrees and removing the coupling gives a much neater more realistic front end, without the clunky NEM coupling box showing.

Having said that, I'd really only want to run it through R2 or higher (as I do) for all the reasons @PLD stated.

Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob G on November 30, 2021, 01:15:02 PM
Dapol's box labelling states minimum curve R1 or 9".

My 2S-002-000 'Repton' box does not have any such info. Probably before they got fully committed to doing that.

geofff

Many thanks, I guess that it's back to the drawing board.

I want to run SR/BR bogied luggage/vans so i guess that  it's class 33 or 73 (or which I've had to return two of the new versions)

Thanks again

Regards

Newportnobby

Why not try the lovely Farish 'N' class if it's a steamer you're after?

geofff

Quote from: Newportnobby on November 30, 2021, 02:19:29 PM

Hello Nobby

That looks a good solution - how is it different to the Schools class?

Regards

Capri_sam

Quote from: geofff on November 30, 2021, 03:16:18 PM

Hello Nobby

Regards

Sorry to jump in - I love the Schools class, but the N class is absolutely my favourite N gauge loco, hands down. It's loco-drive, with a speaker pre-built into the tender in the latest version. They run smoothly and reliably, the haulage is superb, and they will go round R1 curves no problem! They do still have traction tyres, but I've never had a problem with them - they are well built and hardy locos (as much as any N gauge loco with handrails can be!).

Train Waiting

Or what about a Union Mills 'T9' 4-4-0.  An ex-LSWR locomotive, available from Union Mills from time to time.  A superb runner and designed to be completely happy on first radius curves.  Totally reliable and resistant to accidental damage.  Manx-made as well!

A terrific locomotive.

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Newportnobby

Quote from: geofff on November 30, 2021, 03:16:18 PM

Hello Nobby

Regards

Capri_Sam has answered as well as, if not better, than I could. Mine is just a joy.

martyn

Standard class 5?

Fairburn 4MT? A number were allocated to the SR.

Standard cl 4MT tank?

Standard cl 3 tank? I'm not sure about this one, but I think were on the ex LSWR lines?

WC/BB?

Martyn

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations