Rubbish Dapol 45xx

Started by austinbob, December 03, 2014, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Just received a Dapol 45xx from ehattons.

Straight out of the box it ran like a kangaroo in both directions at slow to medium speeds. Oiled it!, Ran it in! Still no good.

Its gone back to ehattons for a replacement and I'm sure they won't quibble. BUT!! I still ask the question that I've ranted on about in other threads. WHY DO SOME MODEL RAIL MANUFACTURERS SHIP RUBBISH? I've bought about a dozen locos over the last 18 months and at least 8 of those have had some issues and 3 have been returned under warranty. I've heard many of the pathetic excuses from some people that things are much better than they used to be and that things are getting better and we should make allowances but - in my opinion its just not good enough. I'm from a quality management background and I can assure everyone it is more expensive to ship rubbish than it is to get things right and ship a good product. It costs loads of money to process returns, repair or replace them and costs manufacturers sales due to poor reputation.

You manufacturers out there - if you're listening - get it sorted.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

I hear what you say, Bob, but think this should either be in the Product Review section or the Angry Thread, so maybe one of the Mods could move it :hmmm:

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on December 03, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
I hear what you say, Bob, but think this should either be in the Product Review section or the Angry Thread, so maybe one of the Mods could move it :hmmm:

Ok - if one of the moderators thinks my post would be better off somewhere else then please move it.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on December 03, 2014, 08:20:32 PM
Just received a Dapol 45xx from ehattons.

Straight out of the box it ran like a kangaroo in both directions at slow to medium speeds. Oiled it!, Ran it in! Still no good.

Its gone back to ehattons for a replacement and I'm sure they won't quibble. BUT!! I still ask the question that I've ranted on about in other threads. WHY DO SOME MODEL RAIL MANUFACTURERS SHIP RUBBISH? I've bought about a dozen locos over the last 18 months and at least 8 of those have had some issues and 3 have been returned under warranty. I've heard many of the pathetic excuses from some people that things are much better than they used to be and that things are getting better and we should make allowances but - in my opinion its just not good enough. I'm from a quality management background and I can assure everyone it is more expensive to ship rubbish than it is to get things right and ship a good product. It costs loads of money to process returns, repair or replace them and costs manufacturers sales due to poor reputation.

You manufacturers out there - if you're listening - get it sorted.

Sent 45xx back to ehattons who said there was a slight problem but they thought it was a general problem with this loco and a replacement might be worse. In any event there are no replacements in stock until after Xmas so got a refund.

Quite an admission that this loco type in general has problems.

ehattons are brilliant they are always polite and helpful and don't seem to quibble about returns

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Shame :(
I bought the ND-013 model when it first came out and it's one of my best runners.
Sorry if that makes you feel worse :-[

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on December 05, 2014, 09:19:33 PM
Shame :(
I bought the ND-013 model when it first came out and it's one of my best runners.
Sorry if that makes you feel worse :-[

The one I bought was the 2S-014-002 45xx. I guess, looking at the part no, this is a newer version.
The ND-013 - was that a 45xx. If it was I guess they don't make em now like they used to do. The one I bought was a nice looking model. Its just a shame it didn't work properly. I must say my flaber was ghasted when Hattons said all the locos of this type they had were not particularly good runners.

Bob Austin

Newportnobby

Yep - mine is the green unlined early crest, running number 4570 :thumbsup:

austinbob

Quote from: newportnobby on December 05, 2014, 09:41:44 PM
Yep - mine is the green unlined early crest, running number 4570 :thumbsup:

I am jealous - I wonder if I might be able to find the version you have on ebay. Might have a look tomorrow.

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Only Me on December 05, 2014, 10:01:26 PM
When you say kangaroo, do you mean a noticeable wobble or very jump when it moves?  The one I have came with some kind of layer of sheen on the wheel sets, cleaned them with IPA and its now one of my best Kettles!

The loco moved in both directions very jerkily at slow to medium speed, worse in reverse. The coupling rod is split at the middle driving wheel and there was an awful lot of play with the coupling rods in this area. I'm sure this caused the jerky running. If you ran the loco quite fast then the jerkiness was much less evident but the loco would then noticeably wobble from side to side. Still the same problem with the split coupling rod methinks.

Wheels were spotless and track cleaned before trialling the loco.

Bob Austin

oreamnos

I bought one of these from the first or second run years ago when Hattons was dumping them at fire sale prices.  I don't remember it having jack-rabbit starting, but it wobbled like a Weeble everywhere it went, I'm sure even on its way back to Hattons when I returned it.

Too bad to see this new run is still rubbish, though I'm happy now I decided not to try again.  I have gone for one of Dapol's re-released Ivatt 2-6-2Ts.  I missed out on the first run and I just got an email the new one had been shipped to me, so I'm curious to seen how it is.

Matt

austinbob

Quote from: oreamnos on December 05, 2014, 11:32:05 PM
I bought one of these from the first or second run years ago when Hattons was dumping them at fire sale prices.  I don't remember it having jack-rabbit starting, but it wobbled like a Weeble everywhere it went, I'm sure even on its way back to Hattons when I returned it.

Too bad to see this new run is still rubbish, though I'm happy now I decided not to try again.  I have gone for one of Dapol's re-released Ivatt 2-6-2Ts.  I missed out on the first run and I just got an email the new one had been shipped to me, so I'm curious to seen how it is.

Matt

Matt

I'm a glutton for punishment. I really liked the look of the Dapol 45xx so I went to my local (20 miles away!) model railway shop and tried out another new 45xx on their test track. Looked pretty good so I bought her. A bit of oil, running in and fingers crossed, maybe I got a good one this time. I'll post the results once its run in.

While I was in the shop I couldn't resist buying a green Dapol class 26 D5307. Again tested on their test track. Ran like a dream - super detailing.

Bread and water rations up to Xmas now I'm afraid.

Bob Austin

portland-docks

iv got 2 and they run like a dream!

i wouldnt say its just the 45xx, iv had problems with A3s/ A4s while others havent, luck of the draw with model railways unfortunatly but this shouldnt be the case. pay in excess of £100 they should be perfect
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

austinbob

Quote from: portland-docks on December 09, 2014, 07:47:54 PM

i wouldnt say its just the 45xx, iv had problems with A3s/ A4s while others havent, luck of the draw with model railways unfortunatly but this shouldnt be the case. pay in excess of £100 they should be perfect

Pay the asking price and they should be perfect!!

Maybe I'll be lucky for a change this time.

Bob Austin

portland-docks

Quote from: austinbob on December 09, 2014, 07:51:20 PM
Quote from: portland-docks on December 09, 2014, 07:47:54 PM

Pay the asking price and they should be perfect!!

Maybe I'll be lucky for a change this time.

to be honest i paid £45 for the two all together, got them at TINGS from dapols duff section lol
Visit my heritage Railway "moorside Valley Railway"

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=9280.0

see first post for exhibition dates

LAandNQFan

I bought one from my local model shop and it ran very well on my test track before my layout had any track.  Getting overconfident, I tried to change the couplings to EasiShunt and messed up the pick-ups on the rear pony truck.  :'(  :-[  :dunce:
I sent it to DCC and, although I explained that the butchery was my fault, it was replaced under the No-Quibble guarantee!
:jawdropping:  :admiration:
And the new one runs very well, too.  It may be some time before I change the couplings.....  :uneasy:
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations