Atso-Cad Models Announcement

Started by Stevie DC, January 11, 2019, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham63

Best wishes for the future. Graham

Hailstone

I am so sorry to hear this Steve, I was looking forward to you unveiling the County as a kit, but your health must of course take precedence. I hope that this will not stop you modelling as your talent is huge and I feel it would be a loss not just to me but many others here if you stop altogether.
My best wishes to you for a happier 2019

Alex

RailGooner

Steve, I'm not done with being inspired by you yet. So I look forward to your return to posting. You're a wonderfully talented modeler and nothing but a benefit to and positive force for the hobby.
:beers:

I too am frequently visited by the darkness of depression, but please remember that you've got through it once so you can get through again. Immerse yourself in family and friends and forget the rest. Take your time. Brighter days will come. :heart:

carlwooduk

Steve,
Understand your decision and admire your openness on personal health. Echo the thoughts of others on the Forum calling out your talent and achievements in N. You will get back to it when the time is right for you.
Making a living from model railways as a small business is a massive challenge, there are a very few who have achieved a sustainable business over the long term.Having a great product and being a decent person help massively but  those qualities do not always reflect in the bottom line.

Will send a personal message about catching up at a show soon to play trains on VOO.
Best wishes
Carl.

Mike J

I'll echo the sentiments of many on this forum and wish you all the best for now and in the future.
Mike
Duchesses are red, A4s are blue,
126 for the A4, The Duchess couldn't do

Delboy

Hi Steve,
Sorry to hear the news. As someone who is just venturing out in 3D printing and managing to make various small items for my N gauge collection, I am beginning to comprehend the time and effort you must have put in to, your excellent designs, which are far more complex than mine. As others have said, the news is a sad loss to the hobby and N gauge but your health is far more important. Best wishes for any future ventures you get involved in. Onwards and upwards.
D.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Southerngooner

Hi Steve

I'll echo the other comments on here and wish you well. I'm sure life will turn around for you, looking forward to seeing some more excellent stuff from you in years to come

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Stevie DC

Thank you everyone for your support. To be honest, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply and feel overwhelmed that you've taken the time to comment and pass on your best wishes.

Thanks to Dr Al and The Brighton for sharing their work - exceptional, as always.

Firstly, with regard to anything that hasn't been released, I'm sorry but no, I don't like to offer something for sale unless I'm 100% happy that it is as good as I can make it. While I could offer it under the advisory that it is a prototype, I don't want to have to deal with the inevitable requests for help (and/or complaints) because things don't quite work as they're supposed to.

I have bowed to such requests in the past, the Y5 got 25+ requests (despite the lack of a direct use chassis) but only sold two models. The pigeon van was the other with over 40 requests to put it on the Shapeways shop but has since gone on to sell only six or seven prints (of which I saw two of them yesterday!).

With regard to Atso-Cad, it is clear that the business model, based around the Shapeways shop doesn't work. Part of the issue is that, to keep prices affordable, I can only place a small mark up on the cost of the print from Shapeways. This ranges from 50p to £7 depending on the size and complexity of the model. Also to be factored in is the high shipping costs and Shapeways' frequent redefining of design criteria - requiring amendments to the CADs before they'll sell any more. Should I decided to try this again, it is clear that Shapeways' is not the platform from which to do it. Similarly, I have when requested, on a few occasions, provided free prints to clubs and established Youtube reviewers to build and review. Sadly, over a year on, I'm yet to see any reviews, good or bad, from these people which is a little disheartening and frustrating - should I try again, I'm not going to go down that route either.

On a more positive note, I did manage to get enough drive together to complete one commission in time for the Stevenage exhibition yesterday (where it was to be delivered), although it created a minor domestic disturbance as I had to miss a friend's birthday to achieve it. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gone but I am glad I did, if only for the wonderful chat/analysis/pep talk that RoyLS (and a couple of others) gave me. Thank you guys.

I've not been on here much but have noticed that several people have also contacted me privately, both here and via email. Thank you for you messages and I will be responding to you - just not today.

Once again, thank you all for your messages.

Mustermark

Hope things turn more positive for you soon, Steve. Very sorry to hear your business venture hasn't succeeded, but it seems that you have enriched the hobby for quite a lot of people. Good luck for what you do next, and I hope you manage to keep modelling as something fun in your life. (Sometimes it's the thing that keeps me going in life). All the best.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Stevie DC

Shapeways have been increasing their prices again recently. However, items previously available on Shapeways shops have been frozen. This ends on the 4th February when all products will be increased to the new prices.

While my own modest mark up is unaffected, this price increase will significantly increase the cost of each model.

If you are thinking of purchasing an Atso-Cad Shapeways print, please do so before Monday 4th February.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Atso on January 16, 2019, 05:05:45 PM
Shapeways have been increasing their prices again recently. However, items previously available on Shapeways shops have been frozen. This ends on the 4th February when all products will be increased to the new prices.

While my own modest mark up is unaffected, this price increase will significantly increase the cost of each model.

If you are thinking of purchasing an Atso-Cad Shapeways print, please do so before Monday 4th February.

Can I echo this and point out that following 29th March in theory we will be paying import duty on items from Holland.

red_death

Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 16, 2019, 05:29:00 PM
following 29th March in theory we will be paying import duty on items from Holland.

Unlikely, WTO tariffs are zero on plastic model trains (assuming there isn't a different tariff for 3d printed items!).

Cheers, Mike

Snowwolflair

Quote from: red_death on January 16, 2019, 05:31:32 PM
Quote from: Snowwolflair on January 16, 2019, 05:29:00 PM
following 29th March in theory we will be paying import duty on items from Holland.

Unlikely, WTO tariffs are zero on plastic model trains (assuming there isn't a different tariff for 3d printed items!).

Cheers, Mike

I do hope this is the case, but what chance HMRC getting it correct  :)

Regardless I shall be perusing ATSO's Shapoeways pages tonight.

Dr Al

Can you quantify how much an increase this is?

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Stevie DC

Quote from: Dr Al on January 16, 2019, 05:38:44 PM

Can you quantify how much an increase this is?

Cheers,
Alan

Depending on the product, up to £17.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations