Paint Pens (Water Based Acrylic)

Started by cmason, October 05, 2023, 01:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmason

So one of my daughters recently got some new pens for drawing art - and it seems to be a new technology ( for me at least ) - a water based acrylic paint in a pen - POSCA brand from Mitsubishi Pencil.

https://www.posca.com/en/discover-posca/the-tool/

Available in a wide range of colors and tip sizes. At first they look like marker pens but as far as I can tell they are actually delivering paint.

Wondering if anybody else has tried using these in their model making?

njee20

Yes, been using them for years on fine details and they're brilliant.

Steven B

They work well - the white one is my go-to for adding the white handles to brake levers for example.

I also mark the underside of my stock with a colour code so that a. I know it's mine, and b. I can make sure trains are formed correctly.

SB.

Firstone18

I've been using these for around a year now, much easier to highlight fine detail that a brush for me! I think there are also some translucent colour pens around which are good for reducing LED brightness, and altering colour. I have some Staedler pens which were for overhead transparency marking, but are very useful for altering LED intensity and colour. :)
Finally, after waiting over 55 years I am building a permanent layout in a purpose built shed!

cmason

Great to know I am not the first on this!

class8mikado

Steven B

I got mine from Hobbycraft. You'll find them in art shops or the likes of Amazon and eBay.

SB

njee20

Yeah I tend to get them from Amazon. I find the ultra fine most useful, but some of the bullet tip ones are good too.

Stuarted

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I have been to Hobbycraft and bought myself a couple. Stuart

RBTKraisee

Piques my curiosity - can anyone show examples of what they've done with these?

Ross.
"The meek shall inherit the Earth. The rest of us are going to the stars" -Robert Heinlein
An Ex-Pat Brit:  Two decades living in Florida and still an unhealthy shade of "British Tourist White"

Steam Locomotive Wheel Dimensions: https://www.shorturl.at/xAEKW

All my available products are listed in the first post in my workbench thread.

Adam1701D

I am also intrigued by these - are they fine enough to handle lining?
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

njee20

Quote from: Adam1701D on October 13, 2023, 09:07:28 AMI am also intrigued by these - are they fine enough to handle lining?

On stock not really, they're ~1mm. I've used them for first class stripes on mk3s.

I did do the cantrail stripe on this with them, which now I look at it as the focus of the photo looks a bit shoddy! Likewise the door runners and buttons

Otherwise I just use them for all the tiny details - handbrake levers, axle boxes, springs etc, where they're just super convenient to grab, and because they're stiff, unlike a brush, they make it very easy to highlight raised detail.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £25.67
Below Goal: £74.33
Site Currency: GBP
26% 
May Donations