Chuck or colletts?

Started by Dorsetmike, October 21, 2013, 12:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Hi, I seem to remember there being a reason for colletts, but never really liked them, given a choice I will always buy a tool with a chuck; when I'm lost in the middle of a job I can't put up with having to change collett because the bit I want to use is too big or too snall for the one in the tool, always assuming I can find the right size on the bench in what someone described as Clutter's last stand.

With a chuck it's always there on the tool when you need it.

I've always used Minicraft as they offer both chuck or collett and offer a chuck as an extra for tools supplied with colletts.

Dremel tools all seem to come with colletts, but they do offer a chuck as an extra.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Leo1961

A chuck will nornally only grip the tool in 3 places around it's circumference ( or 4 if you are using a 4-jaw chuck ) whereas a collet will provide grip through almost all of the circumference of the tool.

:thumbsup:

Malc

As Leo says, a collet will give a better grip, but unfortunately you need one for every size drill bit you want to use. I use a collet on my Archimedes drill as I only use one size of bit.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations