Union Mills

Started by Bob Tidbury, January 10, 2018, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

I ordered my birthday present from the whole family from Colin yesterday at One oclock  and the post lady brought me a nice parcel at half past ten containing a Black early crest Collett Goods loco which will be tested tonight before being put up till March .
Colin said he is doing another run of Dukedogs and Dean Goods at the start of this year and a NEW LOCO in the Autumn but he wouldnt commit as to what it will be , I did prompt him again to do City of Truro  and get Narrow Planet to do etched name and number plates as an extra special one of Limited edition , ,  he could of course do other City class locos as standard .I told him lots of people have said they would buy one and Ive told them to ring him and keep asking ,he then said Oh its you who have told people to ask me and he again said hes not, but Never say Never .
So keep asking and you never know it might happen . Fingers crossed .
Bob Tidbury

scottmitchell74

I know it's been said, and I know he can't do it, but I'd love if he'd do some diesels. Even if they were super-basic. I wouldn't have to buy from another company ever again.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

Train Waiting

Many thanks, Bob.

Typical Union Mills service.  And thanks are due to the Post Offices, Manx and UK as well.

The last three new Union Mills locomotives have been Great Western, so it is reasonable to expect something different this year.

Maybe a Southern 4-4-0 like a 'L1' or similar.  Maybe a 'Q' 0-6-0.  Maybe a LNER 'J15'.  We'll wait and see.  I'll buy it, though, whatever it is!  And, if it is a 'Glen' or a 'Scott', I'll buy two!

You'll be looking forward to your birthday...

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Plainline.

I would certainly be interested in a J15!

Bob Tidbury

Just keep phoning and asking for City of Truro he will have to give in eventually  I hope ,after all there isnt much diference  between the Dukedogs and a City  is there ?
Bob Tidbury

ODRAILS

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 10, 2018, 07:22:19 PM
.........after all there isnt much diference  between the Dukedogs and a City  is there ?
Bob Tidbury
Apart from a completely different body and driving wheel size perhaps not...
Ian

Dorsetmike

I'd like an ex LSWR Adams A12 "Jubilee"  0-4-2 or one of the later Adams 4-4-0s T3, X6; none of them made BR livery so that puts them less likely, plus the 4-4-0s had outside cylinders  with inside valve gear which so far he has not done.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

martyn

Much as I would love a J15-and an E4- the current tender drive mechanism is far too big.

The tender drive used for the D16/3 and B12/3 is also overscale-but one which I live with-so a J17/19/20 would be nice!

Martyn

Bob Tidbury

What I was meaning ODRAILS is that he has got the outside frame con rods sorted even if they are a bit wider than they could be, but people have narrowed them down quite a bit if they are brave enough , Colin has even told people the best way to go about it .I wont risk it my self though.But I might ask Colin for some spare wheel sets for my Dukedogs  just in case I do try and then bust them .As to the body , for Colin that would be easy  Im not sure what size wheels the City had but again as Colin makes them as well he might have used the same size for one of his other models ,so I dont think it would present a problem to make it .and there were other City locos as well as Truro .All in all  if enough people ask him it might be a viable model as he said himself he has been very pleased with the sales of G W R locos so far .
Bob Tidbury

ODRAILS

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on January 10, 2018, 09:34:18 PM
What I was meaning ODRAILS is that he has got the outside frame con rods sorted even if they are a bit wider than they could be, but people have narrowed them down quite a bit if they are brave enough , Colin has even told people the best way to go about it .I wont risk it my self though.But I might ask Colin for some spare wheel sets for my Dukedogs  just in case I do try and then bust them .As to the body , for Colin that would be easy  Im not sure what size wheels the City had but again as Colin makes them as well he might have used the same size for one of his other models ,so I dont think it would present a problem to make it .and there are other City locos as well as Truro .All in all  if enough people ask him it might be a viable model as he said himself he has been very pleased with the sales of G W R locos so far .
Bob Tidbury
Your logic Bob seems to be: Colin of Union Mills has produced the coupling rods (not "con rods" b.t.w.) for the Dukedog, and making a suitable GWR "City" body would be easy (!)
I would advise that about the only dimension of the Dukedog loco which matches the GWR "City" 4-4-0 IS the length of the coupling rod !
I'm sure that Union Mills could produce a GWR "City" but the loco would need to be a completely new model (apart from the coupling rods!!!)
The GWR "Cities" were all scrapped by the early 1930s apart from the museum piece "City Of Truro so a  better bet for another outside frame GWR loco would be a "Bulldog", which has the same chassis as the Dukedog and was a far more numerous class which lasted until the early 1950s
Ian

Bob Tidbury

ODRAILS  sorry I called the rods con rods and not coupling  rods and I do realise that the body is diferent to the Dukedogs and  Bulldogs  are  nearer to them , but the outside frames and  COUPLING RODS were in my opinion the hardest thing to sort out in N gauge and thats what I ment after all to someone like Colin the body of the loco is easy to make and its true they were all scrapped and  Truro is possibly the only one left ,so I hope he could do Truro as a special deluxe one off with etched brass name and number plates .
I go to quite a few shows around the country and whenever weve had a chat about locos a lot of N gauge modelers have said even though they are really Modern Image they would still like a City of Truro .
I dont know how to start a sort of poll just to see how many members would actually buy one , rather than just say they would ,as you know there  are people who say one thing but then change their minds when it comes to actually buying something Which is why the big firms dont allways produce certain models .Any way we will have to just be patient and see if Colin thinks it is worth his time and money producing it .
I for one really would like one as my railway is now a preserved railway with running rights as a  diversionary line  while  mainline maintenance is taking place which is why you see all sorts running on it during a running session .
Hope this makes sense and I havent bored everyone .
Bob Tidbury

daveg

I'd have a City of Truro at the drop of a hat!

Boyhood memories of the loco visiting Camborne during the launch of ITV (Westward) in that part of the world.

A poll could be a way of showing Colin the depth of interest but don't know how to start one.

Dave G

Bealman

An interesting thread. Good luck!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations