what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balders

Oldman

Whilst not exactly N gauge(009)  am busy waiting for the PVA to dry on a pond, that is in a corner of a new layout.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

lil chris

Just tried my hand at static grass and also used some Jarvis water effect for my river.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

steve836

Roughing out the scenery over the storage sidings of my layout "Cromford" here are some posed photos of progress so far:-
[smg id=12330 type=preview align=center caption="012"]
Here a jubilee heads an up express through Cromford station and over the river Derwent
[smg id=12331 type=preview align=center caption="011"]
a slightly different angle shows the Cromford canal and some scenery which is drying and awaiting scatter
[smg id=12332 type=preview align=center caption="010"]
further round shows unfinished and unbuilt scenery behind the canal. Down road the Midland Pullman heads toward Manchester passing three light engines which have been held in the passing loop so as not to impede its progress. Behind is the Cromford canal and the interchange sidings for the Cromford and High Peak line
[smg id=12333 type=preview align=center caption="009"]
a more long range shot of the scene with the Cromford canal (spot the narrow boat!) and the Cromford and High Peak line. The piece of card on the part built bit of scenery is the A6 from Derby through Matlock & heading for Buxton.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

davieb

Turning perfectly good wood into sawdust on my Apathwaite layout  >:D

dave  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Giving parts of Kimbolted a good going over with the Woodland Scenics Tidy Track cleaning tools. However, I have not used their cleaning fluid as it leaves a greasy residue which can cause wheels to spin up - good old IPA is far better. Leaving it to dry off now.

steve836

Quote from: newportnobby on May 12, 2014, 04:37:09 PM
Giving parts of Kimbolted a good going over with the Woodland Scenics Tidy Track cleaning tools. However, I have not used their cleaning fluid as it leaves a greasy residue which can cause wheels to spin up - good old IPA is far better. Leaving it to dry off now.

My model shop recommended "Track Magic". Have you tried it, and if so, is it as good as they claim or does it also leave a residue?

Sprintex

I've heard bad things about Track Magic leaving a greasy residue resulting in much wheel slippage, avoid it if you can :thumbsdown:

Better off with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), tried and tested ;)

Paul

Newportnobby

Quote from: steve836 on May 14, 2014, 08:55:16 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on May 12, 2014, 04:37:09 PM

My model shop recommended "Track Magic". Have you tried it, and if so, is it as good as they claim or does it also leave a residue?

Hi Steve,
The Woodland Scenics stuff that comes with the kit is actually called " Tidy Track Clean Track Solution" and states 'specially formulated solution designed to remediate oil and remove dirt & grime'.
Once applied, you then run a 'finishing pad' over the track.
Remove dirt & grime it might well do, but I found it still left a greasy residue ::)

steve836

Thanks guys, I have already "invested" in a bottle, will try it carefully on a part of the layout used by locos without traction tyres and see what happens.

MattJ

Putting down the rails for the engine shed roundhouse...  have cut some slots between a portion of the rails for the maintenence pits.  Now what would be a good way of making concrete paving between the tracks...?
They're there for their tea.

Luke Piewalker

Quote from: MattJ on May 16, 2014, 01:20:58 AM
Putting down the rails for the engine shed roundhouse...  have cut some slots between a portion of the rails for the maintenence pits.  Now what would be a good way of making concrete paving between the tracks...?

I was contemplating this recently, I have A4 sheets of foam from Hobbycraft (other retailers are availiabubble) that I use for underlay that I was contemplating cutting into strips for such porpoises. Obviously they would need to be the right thickness, and you would need to paint them all concretey...

Newportnobby

Having one of those days when the marbles become well and truly lost and I end up with the complete opposite to the Midas touch ::)
All I was trying to do was create the fiddle yard board for the new layout. Admittedly, I was using offcuts of timber and Sundeala from a long gone layout, but I just couldn't believe how many basic errors I made in measurements/cutting/cross bracing etc :o
Cue much swapping of drill bit/screwdriver bit in my drill, and constant changing/charging batteries as they were a bit low.
I've ended up with something that will work and doesn't look too shabby if you ignore it has more holes in the wood than a well known cheese. Oh - and it's also about 3" shorter than it was intended to be :doh:
A definite Friday afternoon job, if ever there was one :-[

D1042 Western Princess

Not a lot. Some may recall from an earlier entry that I ordered from Metcalfe models a complete High Street of buildings some days ago and have been putting the kits together. Even at the rate of one building every couple of days (on average) I have done little else but slave over a tube of cold UHU glue for the last week or ten days!
I think I need a rest and will stop for a while when my latest shop kit is finished and do something else.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations