The Collectability of Poole Built Graham Farish Locos

Started by DesertHound, August 06, 2014, 10:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Sorry, I'm on me phone at moment and don't want to quote a lengthy post, just the end bit. My phone skills don't run to that!

However, in relation to the vase analogy.... that's not what I was getting at. A work of art that gets broken can be glued up, but nobody is gonna even want to look at it, yet alone want it. "Oh, but this was a lovely piece of Wedgewood once - belonged to me grandmother - but me missus threw it at me one night and it bounced off me head and broke against the wall. But I glued it back up. You can hardly see the join...." No one will be interested.

And that's Wedgewood...  not broken toot tooh toys.

I'm sorry, but I simply can't see old N scale stuff as ever being collectable.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

DesertHound

Thanks Bealman. That's okay, it's an open forum and I'm interested in all opinions. I'm not doubting you or saying you are wrong, I'm not 100% convinced myself even, but wanted to see what you all thought.

I guess time will tell with regards to whether they are collectable or not. I'm quite a sentimental one and do like to old Poole stock. Perhaps it's the fact it was made in the UK that I'm more interested in than the actual detailing. Don't get me wrong, the newer models have detailing that could never be dreamed of from Romany Works, running ditto.

That said, I think durability-wise the Poole stuff tends to be built like a brick "you know what" house in comparison to the Chinese stuff. I think it will be around for a lot longer.

Cheers for the replies all. Just wanted to gauge what people thought. I, for the record, am not interested in "investing in trains" for my retirement but would like to think they will be of value to somebody some day.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Karhedron

My gut feeling is that Farish stuff is not likely to become especially collectable for the simple reason that fairly large amounts of most models were made. Price will always be a matter of supply and demand. OK they are not being made any more but many were built unchanged for 20+ years meaning that they are not likely to become a scarce resource.

Models that have commanded high prices are things like Peco Jubilees, Farish NSE stock and some of the Dapol collectors club models (Silver Link anyone?). Despite different vintages, in all cases there are a limited number of the models and no real alternative for people who want to run that particular prototype.

Having said that, I suspect that the Peco Jubilee prices headed south once the BachFar version was released.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

dodger

Quote from: DesertHound on August 06, 2014, 02:20:17 PM

I guess time will tell with regards to whether they are collectable or not. I'm quite a sentimental one and do like to old Poole stock. Perhaps it's the fact it was made in the UK that I'm more interested in than the actual detailing. Don't get me wrong, the newer models have detailing that could never be dreamed of from Romany Works, running ditto.

That said, I think durability-wise the Poole stuff tends to be built like a brick "you know what" house in comparison to the Chinese stuff. I think it will be around for a lot longer.

Dan

Quite agree with you there Dan, I'm keeping all of mine as they will still be running when the modern fleet stop completely. Gradually building up a stock of essential spares.

Dodger

SD35

I have a draw full of them, some with awful paint jobs on them and was about getting rid of them.  I de-motored a couple of them and gave them to my nephew with some glued down track on a board and some lima wagons and coaches to use as push around trains.  I didn't realise people still wanted them.  :hmmm: 

RussellH

People collect anything, and if theres sufficient interest in the subject then it will take off as supply is exceeded by demand - didnt James May have an example of OO collecting on one of his programs where everything had to be mint in box, he bought some MIB, threw the boxes and ran it. Mine are in display cases and from there come out for runs - If you have them its nice to see them rather than hidden away. Miniature functional works of art.

Theres a bit of this collecting going on with minitrix warships and the rare names - they fetch a premium. Probably if a genuine 47378* by farish came up and was spotted by sufficient collectors we may see something interesting for farish but until the really old stuff gets short in supply we wont really know. One things certain - older stuff will "probably" still be running when newer stuff has to be for display only as its unfixable and there are no spares but that wont stop us trying to fix it.

In theory the red and silver label farish Poole items plus the first issues ought to be the items to show signs of collecting before anything else but dapol may have a head start with limited batch sizes of 250 (class 73 Pullman etc) 

* see...
http://www.ngauge.org.uk/farish_diesels.php?lclass=16
item 8008 - one went on ebay several years back and I know were 4 are.

L clips - think Bob is already printing these or at least having his own made.

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

B757-236GT

Quote from: DesertHound on August 06, 2014, 02:01:33 PM
Quote from: B757-236GT on August 06, 2014, 01:33:46 PM
I for one like the older models and given the price of some of them now it would be wrong not too. Ive seen fully working models go for less than £30 even £20 which for me is a clincher. In terms of collectability most arent worth much at all. However it seems the farish I/C HST still sells for £50+ so obviously not everyone's swapping to dapol ones.

However if you want collecting i also collect 1/400th scale airliners and have got over 1000 of them (1012 at the last count) and some do get displayed but you do begin to question your sanity after a while!

Richard

With a handle like that Rich, aviation wouldn't be your line of work by any chance would it? I also have a few airliner diecasts but to stop me getting carried away I made a rule that I'd only buy those which I've actually worked on in real life.

Dan

Nope i only fly in the cattle section but most of my fathers side of the family have worked in aviation from the early days of Bristol and Parnells through to Airbus.

Id forgotten about 47378, ive only ever seen one and it was on £42 too! I suppose 20215 fits in the group too but i suppose with the reissue of 20227 has rendered that a little moot!

Richard
You want the truth, you cant handle the truth. Welcome to the Fox news channel. (Andy Parsons)

silly moo

I have a small collection of Hornby Dublo 3 rail because there is something about it that appeals to me.  The Poole Farish is like a smaller version of Dublo, not excessively detailed, robust and easy to work on.

Dublo was made in vast quantities and now only the mint boxed pieces command high prices. It is coming down in price because there are less and less people collecting it.

I wonder if Farish will be the same.

I also have some Lone Star Locos which aren't worth much because they are play worn. They were my first toy trains.

I collect things for sentimental reasons so while I look after them to the best of my ability that hasn't stopped me running them.

DesertHound

That's an interesting perspective Silly Moo. Could it be that prices decrease for second hand Farish stock in the medium term (I think they already have), since there are less people collecting them?

I'd say that could hold for a while.

Dan
Visit www.thefarishshed.com for all things Poole Farish and have the confidence to look under the bonnet of your locos!

Karhedron

Prices are likely to decline in the short-medium term as Farish-Poole stuff falls further behind the curve in terms of level of detail on current models.

It remains to be seen if it commands enough affection/nostalgia/rarity to increase again in the future.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

DesertHound

Quote from: Karhedron on August 07, 2014, 11:21:12 AM
Prices are likely to decline in the short-medium term as Farish-Poole stuff falls further behind the curve in terms of level of detail on current models.

It remains to be seen if it commands enough affection/nostalgia/rarity to increase again in the future.

I think that's a fair analysis Karhedron. The only point I'd differ on is that I don't know if second hand prices will drop much further (they're already quite low). My reasoning is that new stock is quite highly priced and that will "drag up" the price of the old stuff, since some people will not wish to pay 100 pounds plus for a loco. Now, I know we're comparing apples with oranges in a sense, but some people will not / cannot pay the higher prices for the new stuff.

I wonder if DCC has affected the prices if the older stuff too. I'm a DC man but with most people being DCC now, perhaps they are not interested in the DC only stuff, or in converting it.

As you say Karhedron, in the longer term, who knows.

Dan

Bealman

:hmmm:

A good, insightful post. We don't know what the future holds... and I am not trying to be smart here. I regard every day as a bonus.

They may become collectable, they may not.

Anyone interested in a few Triang catalogues from the early 60s?

;D :thumbsup:

George

silly moo

One of the reasons for the decline in interest in Dublo is the fact that some the people who remember it fondly and collect it are kicking the bucket.

Bealman

Interesting point.. stay tuned! Had a recent Dublo run on when I was in UK! Advice needed... don't change channels!  :thumbsup:

George

silly moo

DCC has affected the prices of second hand N here, most of the members of our local club have DCC locos so when any second hand non DCC locos come up for sale they aren't very interested unless the prices are really low and the locos can be easily converted  The newer coaches and wagons are much better too.

We do get quite a few people contacting our club with second hand N hoping that because it is 70's vintage it is worth a fortune. We have to patiently explain that most of our members are interested in the new super detailed DCC models and that the seller won't be able to retire on the proceeds of his father's model railway collection.

I still like Poole Farish though.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations