RAF Tornado aircraft farewell flypasts

Started by daffy, February 12, 2019, 01:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daffy

For all the aircraft and RAF enthusiasts out there, next week sees the Farewell Flypasts around the UK of the iconic Tornado.

Subject to weather conditions, three routes on three days are to be flown over a number of RAF locations, starting next Tuesday 19th February.

On RAF Coningsby's Facebook page today - viewable without joining Facebook - are a set of photos that show the day's routes and locations in broad view. It seems the details will be available there later.

https://m.facebook.com/RAFConingsby

- scroll down to find the entry.

I hope to be at Coningsby to see them.

Edit: MUCH FULLER DETAILS HERE -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-47211832
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

RailGooner

Better check I've got a clean hanky at the ready.

guest311

looks like those of us in the south will have to overdose on videos of them down low and dirty in the mach loop, can't see any references to us down here. :'(

Steven B

Plenty of southern action on the 20th:
Honinigton, Duxford, Bedford, Cranfield, Halton, High Wycombe, Benson, Boscombe Down, Pembrey, St Athan, Cardiff, Filton, Abbey Wood, Shrivenham, Brize Norton

guest311

voltan

Will have to keep an eye out for this, might see them on the way up to Spadeadam.

Bob Tidbury

Does anyone know what day and approx time the Tornado wil fly over High Wycombe please .
Bob Tidbury

daffy

Hi Bob, should be overhead RAF High Wycombe on Wednesday, subject to the weather of course.

Full details of route and timings still not released by RAF, but I'm sure this thread will be updated as information becomes available.

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

daffy

Addendum to last post for @Bob Tidbury    As far as I can tell, looks like route to Wycombe will be from RAF Halton, and after Wycombe on to RAF Benson.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Lawrence

More precise timings will be announce next week, keep your powder dry chaps  ;)

Bob Tidbury

:thankyousign:  Daffy and Lawrence ,we will probably even see or hear it from our house but will try and get to Naphill once I know the time .
A while ago there was an unplanned fly past over Naphill by another jet and it was doing all sorts of manoeuvres including a near vertical climb right above a friends house  she said it shook some ornaments of of a shelf and a picture off of the wall as it was totally unofficial the pilot got a very strong reprimand and had to publicly apologise to the residents ,I can't remember what type of jet it was or actually when it was but we could hear it roaring around and saw the vertical climb from our bedroom window .
I was a bit upset that the Vulcan didn't come over Wycombe as Bomber Comand used to be based at Naphill . The base is still there but it has another name I dont know what it is called now ,for a while it was called something like S I N C U C A I R
Bob Tidbury

Lawrence

Sounds like someone was enjoying their last trip prior to retiring @Bob Tidbury , there have been several stories of fast jet chaps being a bit naughty on their last trip.
I hope that they come past Leuchars even though it is now inhabited by grunts (apologies to any grunts on here  :D ) thanks to the incompetence of the MOD and our politicians they closed down a flying base with over 100 years of history behind it (as an aside, it also cost them a lot in terms of pilots, groundcrew and support staff leaving the RAF in disgust).
Fingers crossed for the Thursday

Bob Tidbury

I hope someone posts the approximate time that the Tornado comes over Naphill next Wednesday .
That will be a sight and sound not to be missed .The only problem is that our second granddaughter is due to make an appearance into the world and so I might not be able to see it unless it can be seen from Princes Risborough .She must take top priority .
Bob Tidbury

Gary Burcombe

Having worked on Tornado GR1s, F3s and GR4s for over 14 years it will be sad to see them go, but 40 years is amazing!  I live right next to RAF Brize Norton so I hope to see the flypast on Wednesday 20 Feb.

crewearpley40

here is  a provisional schedule, best to check your local area and nearest rafbase

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019-02-11/tornado-final-flypasts-announced-as-warplane-is-retired/

all uk routes as  so to speak

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations