Detectorists - my new favorite show.

Started by scottmitchell74, March 28, 2017, 07:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottmitchell74

Just got done watching the first two seasons of Detectorists, a BBC show about a couple of fellas who metal detect as their hobby.

Simply loved the vibe, pace, cinematography, the acting...everything. I just wish British seasons were longer. Just when things seem to get rolling...

Any one else seen this?

I kept wondering if this is how my family, friends and coworkers view me (us) with our hobby(s).

Anyhow, always impressed with the beauty of the places the British shows are filmed in.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

austinbob

Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 28, 2017, 07:22:06 PM
Just got done watching the first two seasons of Detectorists, a BBC show about a couple of fellas who metal detect as their hobby.

Simply loved the vibe, pace, cinematography, the acting...everything. I just wish British seasons were longer. Just when things seem to get rolling...

Any one else seen this?

I kept wondering if this is how my family, friends and coworkers view me (us) with our hobby(s).

Anyhow, always impressed with the beauty of the places the British shows are filmed in.
Haven't seen that one. Don't recall it as being a recent release. I'll have to check if its on our BBC iPlayer catch up later this evening.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

scottmitchell74

I think the first season was in 2014/15? It's pretty recent. Highly recommended. Just has a sweet vibe to it.

The amazing Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook (Gareth!) are the headlining stars. Great acting all around.
Spend as little as possible on what you need so you can spend as much as possible on what you want.

port perran

It is indeed excellent (and I'm no great fan of TV normally).
I think Toby Jones is a great and extremely versatile actor.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

austinbob

Quote from: port perran on March 28, 2017, 07:51:24 PM
So is it a current programme or perhaps on iPlayer?

:thankyousign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

d-a-n

Mrs d-a-n and I both throughly enjoyed this show, exactly for the reasons stated above.

A friend's dad owns this metal detector shop (http://www.detecnicks.co.uk/) and he said it has encouraged a few new detectorists into the hobby!

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on March 28, 2017, 07:53:33 PM
Quote from: port perran on March 28, 2017, 07:51:24 PM
So is it a current programme or perhaps on iPlayer?

:thankyousign:
Checked on iPlayer and its not currently available. You can buy the series on Amazon.

Bob Austin

DELETED

I have been a complete fan since first episode and have them all recorded.  TV is going down-hill by the week so this is a gem to watch (and one of the very few things I have ever thought BBC4 ever did worth it's effort), I regularly play them back -I just hope -"Dave" doesn't get it's hands on it.  I may be biased though, I have major crushes on Rachel Stirling and Aimee Ffion Edwards.  I love the story of it though, and brings me back fond memories many years ago of summer countryside in Essex -I'd trade my home in the Highlands for it in a heart beat.

scottmitchell74

Quote from: RST on March 29, 2017, 12:53:14 AM
I have been a complete fan since first episode and have them all recorded.  TV is going down-hill by the week so this is a gem to watch (and one of the very few things I have ever thought BBC4 ever did worth it's effort), I regularly play them back -I just hope -"Dave" doesn't get it's hands on it.  I may be biased though, I have major crushes on Rachel Stirling and Aimee Ffion Edwards.  I love the story of it though, and brings me back fond memories many years ago of summer countryside in Essex -I'd trade my home in the Highlands for it in a heart beat.

All of this! Yes to all of it. Yes to the crushes! Yes to the moving. I live in an arid, ugly, flat part of W. Texas and would move to Essex (or Suffolk :) ) in a heartbeat.

Chetcombe

A Brit friend gave me this show and I just loved the gentle pace and humor! Highly recommended.
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

I'll have to keep an eye out for it here. I've nowt to watch now that Vera is finished.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mike Hamilton

Quote from: austinbob on March 28, 2017, 07:26:22 PM
Quote from: scottmitchell74 on March 28, 2017, 07:22:06 PM

Any one else seen this?

Haven't seen that one. Don't recall it as being a recent release. I'll have to check if its on our BBC iPlayer catch up later this evening.

I'ver seen both series (as they were broadcast), and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Quintessentially British and quintessentially "anoraks" too.
"Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde

cjdodd

Its on Netflix if anyone wants to watch it

DELETED

Don't know whether you already found this but I think the theme is great (and that's from a trance fan!)...

Simon and Garfunkel LoL...

I love Larry!  He's a bit like some folk I meet at work....

"No these are new dogs, last ones ran away!".

Rich

scottmitchell74

Well, a little embarrassed to say...but I can't help it...I'm nearing the end of my 4th viewing of this series. I can't get enough!

I watch them while I'm constructing scalescenes kits. It's peaceful. I can't get enough of the stories, jokes, scenery.

And...I'm officially in love with Rachael Stirling and her whiskey-soaked voice. Jesus, Mary and Joseph she could read the phone book and I'd just listen for hours.

So that's that.  :NGaugersRule:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations