using ikea for base?

Started by Rburn99, January 19, 2020, 05:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rburn99

I'm just getting ready to get started in the hobby and planning my first layout. I came across a 2 yr old post where someone had submitted an n scale layout designed to fit an ikea 3 piece desk set. A corner piece 4ft x4ft with 2ft sides and a radiused internal corner and two 2ftx4ft rectangle tables that butt up to the 2ft sides making an 8x2 / 8x2 L shaped layout.
I was considering a corner layout and if I can avoid having to build a table (I have no carpentry skills that I am aware of :P ) that would be great. I would then cut and glue an extruded foam sheet on to the table top.
The issues I see with this are:
1. joining the three tables into one solid table
2. drilling holes for feed wires would involve drilling through 1.375 inches (35mm) wood instead of a piece of plywood
3. I assume I wouldn't be able to use point motors with that thickness?
Any thoughts or critiques about doing this?

Bealman

G'day from Australia, mate, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

That thickness of baseboard would pose a problem with  point motors mounted beneath.

There are alternatives, though - you could surface mount them, or use Kato track with inbuilt motors.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

zwilnik

I used IKEA Kallax unit as the base for Ivebridge in it's reworked form. Those are the storage units with the grid of spaces for cubes that you can put boxes in or (as I did on the front one) cupboards and drawers.
I used two of the 4x2 units on their side at the front and back of the layout and 2x2 units at one end with a crawl space in between. Giving me hidden storage under the layout (I later removed the back one and just did a couple of support legs)
As I'd built the layout on a reasonably thick outer frame, the main boards were raised up enough from the top of the units to fit point motors, but I chose to use rod in tube to bring all the mechanical switching to the front of the layout to hook up to servos there instead.

Yet_Another

I'm not familiar with the straight one, but I've put together a couple of the corner tables, and they are not solid. They are a honeycomb construction, rather like many internal doors these days. The only solid parts are where the legs are attached, so I'd suggest that any means of joining them together should be attached at the same points as the legs.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

rhysapthomas

Hi

I am sitting at the same desks now.  They are only about 18mm thick so you could mount point motors on the underside depending on the thickness of the foam top.  They are however solid wood and quite heavy so i would check them out at your local ikea before buying

Yet_Another

The desk top called Linnmon is 35mm deep, and is hollow. I haven't bought one for a while, but they used to be sold separately and you chose your legs.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

KenR

Hi,
I have used IKEA tables in building my layout.
I am new to the hobby and thought the IKEA range of table would provide a good base, and allow
later expansion with  compatible products.

I purchased an IKEA Linnmon 1500 x 750 Table top with suitable legs.

My first attempt at a layout, was to top this with cork before laying the track.
But, I too worried about running the cables underneath.
So, I built a classic baseboard to fit, a sheet of ply and Sundeala on the top.
I hinged it at the back of the table to give me flexibility and access to the wiring.

I have also found the IKEA Drawer units to be very good for storage.

HTH

Ken

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations